SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Snow again? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/snow-again-34409/)

smokinjoe73 03-13-2017 11:03 PM

Snow again?

Not sure about where you guys are but here in the Northeast we are about to get clobbered by a snowstorm.

It was so eerily calm out today and riding home it was 36*. (yesterday it was 26).

Only a 15-20 min ride and it started snowing just as I got on the bike. Dry roads still but some big flakes.

Awesome to ride peacefully home in the face of this alleged blizzard.

Hope it doesn't keep me grounded for too long.

Badboy01 03-14-2017 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Weather is killing me Joe! Had record highs in the 60's here in Minnesota a few weeks ago, and was able to stretch the bike out for several days. Received several inches of snow over the weekend, and temp. is now 17 degrees F???

I am proud to say, that I have now ridden in temperatures below 40 degrees. While in Florida, I would not ride if temp was under 60 degrees. Here, you throw on the gear, and hit the road as soon as it appears warm. Still can't compete with Joe's cold weather rides!

Missing Daytona Bike Week, and will be finally returning home to Florida within the current year. Ride safe to all my forum friends....

Shappy1 03-18-2017 02:45 PM

I'm in Michigan by detroit and the weather sucks here to. If not snow then reason and is cold. My bike is outside so I have to do everything while I'm bundled up.

finepooch 03-18-2017 06:37 PM

moncton new brunswick canada has terrible winters. still lots of snow and there will be more to come, winter isn't over yet. at least it is starting to get better.

mikstr 03-18-2017 07:21 PM

it's called winter and it's an annual event in this part of the world...

smokinjoe73 03-18-2017 07:43 PM

Yeah Mik but its already been over 70 here and its mid march!

I am not overly sensitive about winter but I do want it to end.

That's just my vote. Down with winter. Someday I want to live somewhere I can ride off road so I wont care as much.

finepooch 03-19-2017 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 401056)
it's called winter and it's an annual event in this part of the world...

right, lol!

it happens every year and it sucks every year. and 6-7 months of winter is not reasonable. i wish i was born in a better climate where i could be outdoors more than two months a year.

mikstr 03-19-2017 07:37 AM

the way I see it, faced with a significant percent of the year which "sucks", I see two alternatives: find something to make it pleasant, or move to a more suitable climate. I don't mean to appear crass, but I fail to understand why people choose to hibernate and complain for half the year; it's like forcing yourself to eat liver for half the year... Of course, it's a free country, so do as you will, but I choose to find things to do and quite enjoy winter.

finepooch 03-19-2017 02:08 PM

after university i considered moving south but my family's business trapped me. i considered leaving again recently but now my own kids have me trapped here. i agree on making the best of it, i bury myself in reading and hockey, mostly my son's.

ever wonder why canada produces a lot of good music? indoors much? lol

that said, six + months a year of snow is not fit. so i, like many others, vent and complain to help me deal with it. it feels good to let the frustration out.

i have choices for food, i did not choose to be born here or choose this weather. :)

now... riding season is getting close, perhaps a month away. i got my son a new dirt bike, a crf150r. that has instigated the worst case of bike fever i have suffered from in years.

mikstr 03-19-2017 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by finepooch (Post 401063)
after university i considered moving south but my family's business trapped me. i considered leaving again recently but now my own kids have me trapped here. i agree on making the best of it, i bury myself in reading and hockey, mostly my son's.

that said, six + months a year of snow is not fit. so i, like many others, vent and complain to help me deal with it. it feels good to let the frustration out.

i have choices for food, i did not choose to be born here or choose this weather. :)

now... riding season is getting close, perhaps a month away. i got my son a new dirt bike, a crf150r. that has instigated the worst case of bike fever i have suffered from in years.

Granted snowmobiling is not a cheap hobby, but you live in a jurisdiction with one of the world's premier snowmobile trail systems and taking up sleds will change your view of winter for good and for the good

kenmoore 03-20-2017 12:24 AM

We all have problems.

It has been raining where I am for the last 3 weeks.

This is far from normal at this time of year, flash flooding in places that never flood.

Today it hasn't rained but it is forecast to rain for another 3 weeks.

What I do is go surfing and enjoy the weather for what it is.

Only a month ago our temps were around 48C , crazy stuff!

xeris 03-20-2017 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by finepooch (Post 401063)

Tell you what, I'll trade you some very ride-able year round weather for some of your Government.

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 401065)
Granted snowmobiling is not a cheap hobby, but you live in a jurisdiction with one of the world's premier snowmobile trail systems and taking up sleds will change your view of winter for good and for the good

Yup, you have to embrace the possibilities that winter offers, otherwise you'll go nuts. That said I had had enough after 11 years in Anchorage. Fortunately I didn't have anything keeping me from pulling up stakes and moving south.

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 401066)
We all have problems.

It has been raining where I am for the last 3 weeks.

This is far from normal at this time of year, flash flooding in places that never flood.

Today it hasn't rained but it is forecast to rain for another 3 weeks.

What I do is go surfing and enjoy the weather for what it is.

Only a month ago our temps were around 48C , crazy stuff!

That is getting hot even for Phoenix (Arizona). Break out the sweat mop as next summer will be hotter yet.
Yesterday was in the mid 80's. At this rate it will be 100* by May.

finepooch 03-20-2017 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 401065)

you are correct there but i am too cheap to fund a snowmobile habit. lol

finepooch 03-20-2017 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by xeris (Post 401067)
Tell you what, I'll trade you some very ride-able year round weather for some of your Government.

LOL
i looked at your location and was expecting some shit hole like africa or the middle east(sorry africans and middle easterners).
canadian government is not so good. our pm's best asset is his looks. can people be more superficial?. and on a provincial level, here in nb we can't vote for the power as a certain family has had the real power consolidated under their corporate umbrella for decades, going on a century.
this complaint about snow sure has morphed!

Jack Flash 03-21-2017 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by xeris (Post 401067)

What is it about our Government that makes you believe it's better than having The Don rule yours ?

As for winter, can't say I'm a fan. I've spent the last few months selling sleds to every Tom, Dick and Harry, and will probably never have the pleasure of riding one myself. To add to the masochism, I have a Snow Check event next Friday, which means I'll have a bunch of crazy sled freaks come over and pre-order their favorite 2018 sleds !

As for Mikstr, well sorry bro, I love you, but have to tell the truth. Mike has what I believe is one of the best jobs in the world. Journalist for a sled magazine. Given the nature of his job, well he gets to enjoy them more than anyone can ever dream of.

Wolverine 03-21-2017 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Flash (Post 401083)
What is it about our Government that makes you believe it's better than having The Don rule yours ?

Whole lee feck, where do I start? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

VTR1000F 03-21-2017 03:34 PM

I smell an oil thread.

Jack Flash 03-21-2017 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 401094)
Whole lee feck, where do I start? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:rotf:

Jack Flash 03-21-2017 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 401097)
I smell an oil thread.

:horse:

xeris 03-21-2017 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 401097)
I smell an oil thread.

Nailed it. Though this could be more like vaporized gasoline.

finepooch 03-21-2017 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Flash (Post 401083)

As for Mikstr, well sorry bro, I love you, but have to tell the truth. Mike has what I believe is one of the best jobs in the world. Journalist for a sled magazine. Given the nature of his job, well he gets to enjoy them more than anyone can ever dream of.

donald chump is an idiot, so is pm bimbeau. i don't think there is a politician worth a damn. they aren't the power anyway.
mikstr and his snowmobile job: "now you know the rest of the story" lol

mikstr 03-21-2017 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by finepooch (Post 401110)
donald chump is an idiot, so is pm bimbeau. i don't think there is a politician worth a damn. they aren't the power anyway.
mikstr and his snowmobile job: "now you know the rest of the story" lol

ah yes, but I was a snowmobiler before being fortunate enough to get a job in the industry. Truth be told, I have never done so little snowmobiling as I do now, but I nonetheless enjoy winter as I have found something to get excited about when the snow falls. Shame those who hate winter haven't found their way to get pumped about the annual occurrence....

VTR1000F 03-21-2017 08:49 PM

I hate winter. I get pumped at how the snow melts during the spring warm-up.