General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Sweet Mother of Mary!

Old 04-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Superstock

maverick is on a distinguished road
Sweet Mother of Mary!

For the FIRST time since I have owned this bike, I have full rpm range and full throttle, and christ is it awesome. I ended up taking off the top of the airbox, and it made everything perfect. I can probably even jet it a little bigger... The intake was blocked up with wiring and crap... Do people ever remove the top of the airbox? I am most definitely leaving mine off. I just need to secure that filter down somehow... I am so freaking stoked.

Full throttle, it's a good thing.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:43 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
You sure that the intake boot wasn't plugged up?

Everyone says that removing it is a bad thing.

There was a post about someone that cut off the top of the box leaving just the ridge of the edge on to hold down the filter. You could try that.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Superstock

Intake boot? You mean the boot holding the carb on? If so, yes I'm sure. I've had the carbs off and apart about a dozen times or so. I'm not sure why they would think it would be a bad thing... all the air is still being filtered... I would understand if the airflow made the bike perform worse, but if it helps, why not?
Old 04-06-2009, 03:07 PM
SuperBike

Truckinduc is on a distinguished road
Cut the lip off the airbox lid and use it to secure the filter.

Most of the time removing the lid hurts the vtr, but sounds like it helped your fat jetting.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:18 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
With that in mind doing the vfr tank mod does not sound as bad, that would create more clearance without having to dent the bottom of the tank in.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:42 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
If your intake was blocked I think you're better off simply clearing it than removing or chopping the air box lid.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...02&postcount=6

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ght=airbox+mod
Old 04-06-2009, 06:25 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Cutting the lid and just leaving enough to hold the filter was a failed experiment. The guy did plenty of dyno runs to try and get it right and in the end gave up.

I have done my own experiments with the VTR intake, and came across some interesting discoveries. You can make some nice increases in power across the whole rev range, BUT you can get flat spots to go with it. Awesome for a track bike but annoying on the road.

In my case by doing a few mods I ended up with a lot more airflow, and jetting to suit, which was 50 pilots and 205 mains. Man it hauled........

But I had a flat spot at about 5000rpm at constant throttle, which I could not get rid of. At larger throttle openings it was great. The answer was to use a K&N filter which is much smaller than what I had in there, re-jet to suit and the problem was fixed. Better for road use.

In the end I decided that the carb slides could not operate well with any intake changes. Changing needles and slide holes did not fix the problem. Perhaps changing spring rates MAY have been an option, but I decided not to persist with the experiments as I had run out of patience. Perhaps the CV carb can be made to work with more airflow, but there is no certainty.

In my opinion, if anyone wants to start modifying the intake you should factor in changing to flatslide carbs such as the Keihin FCR, or EFI. Changing carbs will be much easier than EFI, and much cheaper. I am working on an EFI set-up now, but the cost would be too high, and too much work for most people.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Superstock

Dully noted, but I maintain... my bike runs amazingly now... no flat spots to speak of... plenty of power... no complaints.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:53 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
FYI here is the original source: http://www.ablett.jp/bikes/vtr/air_box_lid.htm

It sounded better, and he thought it was better till he got it on a Dyno and found he was ~5 HP below stock across the board.

Your bike may be different though..
Old 04-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Superstock

Good source. I can't even compare how it feels to stock though... because this is the first time I've had it running well since I got it. And even if the bike is 5hp below stock (which i doubt) It's still probably 25hp higher than the pos I have been riding. It never could get over 7 grand without dying. And no matter what rpm I was at, full throttle would kill it too. I've shimmed the needles to every position, changed the main jets 4 times, and tried I a thousand different pilot jet settings and everything I did did nothing for my lack of top end. This completely fixed it. So I would be an idiot to put it back on because some guy did it and it didn't work for him. It worked for me. In a big way.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:35 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
I was refering to the rubber snorkel that attatches to the top front of the airbox
Old 04-06-2009, 10:37 PM
RK1
MotoGP

maverick;

Nice that your bike is running better and now you know what the problem was- It wasn't getting enough air. But why wasn't it? Was the air box snorkel getting blocked, squished, is something stuck in it? Don't see what else it could be.

In the meantime at least think about securing down the air filter tight somehow otherwise you'll be sucking unfiltered air around the edges and into the engine. You could try putting the lid on without the front snorkel and see how it runs. That way the lid will cinch down the air filter.

EDIT;

Just read an older thread where you mentioned you don't have a snorkel and you modded a K&N to fit from another vehicle (car?).

Don't know, but maybe that filter doesn't flow enough air and bike runs better without air box lid 'cause now the air is getting in under the filter, assuming you've still got the filter there.

Last edited by RK1; 04-06-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Superstock

Well I inherited this problem... and I did the k&n myself. He has a lot of the wiring very close to the air intake, and I suppose that was it. I don't really see an easy way of getting rid of that wiring though... So for now I'm just going to ditch the top. And thanks I'm also happy its running well
Old 04-06-2009, 11:46 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Yeah after reading the earlier thread I see where your at. Short of getting that wiring out the way and buying a snorkel, sounds like your better off without the air box lid. If the plastic frame of the air filter fits the air box pretty well you could seal that with five cents worth of duct tape.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:41 AM
Superstock

RedStormJ is on a distinguished road
A stroke best one ever. Some days when I'm draining my coolant I think two things hmm can this stuff really pass as koolaid? Will I want to drink it so bad if she has the first glass?

Wrong thread!!!! Jeeslus! Sorry guys no coolantaid for me. This was a post about motherinlaws for nvt. .. I just gotta say I hate the way you brows on the phone because its too easy to post in the wrong thread and you all be like Huh !? Anyways sorry guys it was 2am and I went to bed soon after.

Last edited by RedStormJ; 03-13-2017 at 05:06 PM. Reason: wrong thread!!!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:43 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RedStormJ
A stroke best one ever. Some days when I'm draining my coolant I think two things hmm can this stuff really pass as koolaid? Will I want to drink it so bad if she has the first glass?
Huh?
Old 03-13-2017, 05:08 PM
Superstock

RedStormJ is on a distinguished road
As said above... Wrong thread. I usually reply on my PC but someone made a joke about a stroke and I could not resist... I feel smart now.....
Old 03-21-2017, 11:44 AM
Squid

Denver_Larry is on a distinguished road
Back in the day the shop that did my performance work cut the top of the airbox off and ran a K&N. Dyno proven tuning and results, and the bike was a monster (for a Superhawk anyway...) Not saying it's the right solution for everyone but if it's jetted right it works brilliantly.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:20 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Is it possible that you have a broken choke cable guide? This would constantly be slightly choking the bike so that would explain your results.

Especially if you have messed with the carbs a few times, they break really easily.

So in effect you may be choking the bike then opening the airbox. This could sorta work temporarily but may foul things in cold weather or long term.

You should at least check those elbows in the choke lines located where they meet the carbs. I will bet a waffle breakfast they are busted or not seated.

(Note: Bet will not be honored if lost)