SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Should I buy a Superhawk??????? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/should-i-buy-superhawk-16979/)

wasmeneh 12-15-2008 09:11 AM

Should I buy a Superhawk???????

Well I've been riding off and on since the 70's. My first real street bile was a 1971 Kawasaki 500 Mach 3. I currently have a 1972 Kawa Mach 3 (H 1 B) and a 1994 Harley 1200XLH. I would like to get a reliable newer bike for my normal runs which max out at about 80 miles. I think that I would like to try a sportbike type. I have read through the various sportbike forums and see that most of the 4 cyl sportbikes require a lot of R's to make HP and the way I ride I don't think I'll enjoy this. (The Kawa rides like this, no power band below 4500) I see that the VTR has some issues in the charging circuit but can be easily rectified with an R6 or R1 unit. The CCT's bother me a little I figure I could put in the new APE's. How ofter do these have to be readjusted?

I've seen a few for sale locally (I live in Wilmington, NC0) including a low milage one nearby.

Any assitance or comments would be greatly appreciated.

(I need to be pushed over or held back from the brink:eek:)

Thanks
Mike

trinc 12-15-2008 09:30 AM

sure, it's a great bike.

btw:
the comment about the i4's is true but not to include the liter bikes, they make great power everywhere. there are a couple of great touring i4's that you can get good deals on. bandit 1200 & fz1 are two that come to mind.

tim

RickB 12-15-2008 09:30 AM

1) They are fun to ride and handle very well - even better with some suspension mods

2) Gotta love the v-twin torque!

3) Reliable bikes but watch out for regulator/rectifier issues on older models ('01+ have the improved version with cooling fins) Also there are issues with the cam chain tensioners but a $100 purchase of APE manuals eliminate that issue.

Stevebis1 12-15-2008 09:55 AM

I think if your perspective was formed by a 1200XLH, then going to a sport bike on the Superhawk is more likely to satisfy you. Of course your 500 mach 3 is the other end of the scale. So it comes down to what power band do you want to feel on your new sport bike?
You are on the Superhawk forum so you know the advise you are going to get here... I'm new to the Superhawk also - got mine in September. I think it is a great bike. Comes down to having the proper tool for the Job. If you want to be quick on the street, torque is your friend. Race track? lots of dissention here, but I think everyone agrees there are faster track bikes.
Also the resale is lousey - meaning the price of admission is low. Got mine for $3500. Thought I was stealing it as it was in brand new condition with only 6k miles. Turns out that price is only average if you read all the threads here.
GET THE SUPERHAWK!

wasmeneh 12-15-2008 10:10 AM

I looked at one a month ago (I think it's still for sale) 04 model, looks like new (no stratches etc) black with underbelly fairing and low mileage I think around 6500. Guy was asking $4000 but I think I can get it a little lower. Only issues was it needed a new front tire and the tile needed fixing. The person that sold it to him put the wrong mileage down, I think he added the 1/10'ths since he was way high on the title. The guy says' he got it cleared with the DMV but hasn't gotten a new title.

I don't think you could rool the electronic computer back? could you ???

It's the only thing that held me back other tan the CTT issue.

Thanks
Mike

Stevebis1 12-15-2008 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by wasmeneh (Post 192597)
I looked at one a month ago (I think it's still for sale) 04 model, looks like new (no stratches etc) black with underbelly fairing and low mileage I think around 6500. Guy was asking $4000 but I think I can get it a little lower. Only issues was it needed a new front tire and the tile needed fixing. The person that sold it to him put the wrong mileage down, I think he added the 1/10'ths since he was way high on the title. The guy says' he got it cleared with the DMV but hasn't gotten a new title.

I don't think you could rool the electronic computer back? could you ???

It's the only thing that held me back other tan the CTT issue.

Thanks
Mike

Careful.
The odometer miles stay with the instrument cluster. These regularly sell on EBay for $100 or so. You could probably get a carfax report. That would at least report the mileage at the inspections.
Superhawks clean up pretty well. I've seen 30k+ mile bikes that look new. If it is really 6500 mile on a 2004 and is good shape, that is a decent deal.

motojoe 12-15-2008 10:39 AM

To modify it to suit your riding weight and comfort:
Suggestions:
Handlebars; for better comfort: Heli-bars= $235(new)
Seat: Corbin/Sargent $325-500
Fork springs; stock is set up for a 145lb rider: Race-Tech $109
Taller windscreen; Double bubble or touring: $50
CCT; a MUST do item maintenance item: APE $100
RR; again maintenance item: $90

Or you could just ride the thing as is and replace things as you see fit to go along with your riding style and budget. But I would change out the cam chain tensioners first.

Hotbrakes 12-15-2008 11:20 AM

Why wouldn't you buy a Superhawk? It's only the best bike ever made. You will fall in love with it which makes taking care of these pesky little issues more like spending quality time with a good friend. Good luck and don't ride it like a cruiser, you will be unhappy then.

Little_Horse 12-15-2008 12:17 PM

imo the superhawk has one of the best "grin factors" out there, and you can't beat the price they sell for. They are a great street bikes.

Byrdman 12-15-2008 12:38 PM

you will love the torque it creates and the sound with a set of pipes, its a real head turner. it's a very strong runing bike.

bowhawk 12-15-2008 02:17 PM

All Rounder

This bike will do anything well. From touring (stop frequently) to balls out racing it will do it all. I have friends on touring bikes dreaming of a Hawk with Heli's. Buddies with more HP are always shaking their heads after we switch bikes and they see how much easier it is to ride fast. And there is always the fact that everyone doesn't have one. You can't go wrong as someone said, the buy in is low compared to anything comparable. Cheers

Moto Man 12-15-2008 02:25 PM

The VTR is right about in the middle of the 2 bikes you own already. Its a great all rounder.

drew_c14 12-15-2008 02:29 PM

Do it

sassage 12-15-2008 02:59 PM

yes...DO IT

Barch 12-15-2008 04:17 PM

I can't imagine that you expected a negative answer from the Superhawk forum, which means you're at least halfway in the door already. Speaking as a middle-aged male who's been riding since early 80's, you can't find a better bike than the Superhawk. First of all, it's a Honda, so you know that you've got a well-built, well-thought out bike. Secondly, any issues that require your intervention are just mild enough that you can fix it yourself and just involved enough that you can get to know your particular bike on a personal level. -Something any rider from the '70's should appreciate. Unlike so many GSX-Rs and, dare I say, VFR's, this one has a soul.
My only complaint is that the powerband is sooo smooth that accelaration feels almost pokey -until I realize that I'm doing 85 in a 55 zone three seconds from the redlight. On the flip side, you never need to downshift. The power is ample and VERY easy to take for granted.
In addition, since getting my 03 in August, I've never met anyone who wasn't taken with its looks. From all angles, it's a stunning bike.
Don't think twice, get the Superhawk. You may want another bike in the future, but you won't sell the 'hawk to get it.
Just my 2 cents. Merry Christmas all,
Brian

nuhawk 12-15-2008 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hotbrakes (Post 192607)
Why wouldn't you buy a Superhawk? It's only the best bike ever made. You will fall in love with it which makes taking care of these pesky little issues more like spending quality time with a good friend. Good luck and don't ride it like a cruiser, you will be unhappy then.

That pretty much says it for me too! It's just like your favorite club or your favorite fly-rod. It's just louder and faster than your golfcart! :winner:

L8RGYZ 12-15-2008 10:52 PM

67 degrees here today (Monday) so a bunch of us took the afternoon off & went riding for 5 hours. Man, it is so much fun throwing this bike into a curve! Yeah it doesn't have the most scalpel-like suspension, but once you figure out how it likes to be ridden it really eats up a good twisty road.

Advise: know what you are doing before replacing the CCTs. If you screw it up your top end is fragged. I let mine jump the timing chain when I did mine. Luckily I figured out what happened & fixed it before trying to start the bike.

Still got the orig. R/R on mine @ 50k miles. Wonder if this is more of an issue with bikes ridden in hotter climes and/or a lot of commuting in slow traffic?

comedo 12-16-2008 07:11 PM

I used to have a H1B Kawasaki. I liked it a lot. I remember changing plugs frequently and how the center cylinder would short out in the rain and how the footpegs got scraped really easily and how I had to add a lot of preload to keep the Wirges pipes I had on it off the ground. I remember the points ignition. I remember K81 Dunlops and Girling shocks. I remember how the speedo and tach needles would quiver and how it would weave when the rear tire was badly worn. I remember that it had two steering dampers and plastic swingarm bushings and that it would go an indicated 115 mph but wasn't very happy about it. Good times.
Going from the H1B to a Superhawk is like exchanging a Brown Bess for a Lee Enfield. There aren't many negatives. The Superhawk weighs more, can't go much farther on a tank of gas and uses up tires faster than the H1B. The spark plugs aren't as accessible and valve checks and adjustments are time consuming. That being said, even a bone stock Superhawk will be a revelation. You'll love the accessible power and the build quality. Parts are easy to get and there's a good aftermarket. You can get a good used one cheap. If you feel drawn to it, buy it.

steve.g 12-16-2008 07:30 PM

I've always liked bikes that have strong,torque filled engines.The Superhawk is one of the BEST. Do the CCT mod and R/R and you'll have a good handling,grin making ride.Just go buy the bloody thing!!

RK1 12-17-2008 02:52 AM

There are a lot of good bikes out there. If you want a kick ass real world sporty sport street bike, a good VTR is the best deal there is. More grunt than your sportster. Way quicker than your old nickel rocket (a great piece of history, no disrespect intended).

Randman 12-17-2008 04:46 AM

Do it...but check out that title first...

grasshoppermouse 12-17-2008 05:27 PM

the sound alone is worth the small price they are selling for these days.

VTRsurfer 12-17-2008 06:36 PM

With over 170,000 miles ridden since 1981, the SuperHawk does everything I ride a motorcycle for well. And you don't see another one every time you turn a corner. Plus it sounds neat.:cool:

vermontzx6r 12-17-2008 09:05 PM

dont get one. get an I4. seriously. I asked the same question you did 6 months ago, everyone said "I4s are dirt, are bikes are the best" and while they're okay, i wish i had stuck with a repli-racer.

mine's going up for sale in mid march. I will catch hell for this but its my honest opinion.

If you're not like me, dont care about handling or top end as much or gas mileage then you should consider the bike. they're pretty versitile, and not too slow. i guess it depends on whether you want a real sportbike or not. if you want something balls-out this is not a bike for you.

Hotbrakes 12-18-2008 08:38 PM

If you are 150lbs get an I4. If you are healthier than that, the torque and low end grunt plus broad spread of power from the V twin is exactly what you need.

VTRsurfer 12-18-2008 09:05 PM

I'm 150 pounds, and the Hawk has all the power I can handle. And it's there anytime I want it from 3k on up.

:bs: Anyone who says they can use all the power produced by a modern inline 4 sportbike is either a liar or future road meat (Or they have a roadracing license).

cliby 12-18-2008 09:30 PM

have you ridden one yet? I first got mine in 2000 - prior to that I was still riding my 81 900F honda - thinking it was still pretty good bike for what I was doing. And I had a roadking. I rode on the SH and couldn't believe it. Sportsbike had moved ahead so much since my 900F. And I loved the Vtwin lack of buzz and very fat midrange. Bought it right away - and still have it now. Yes, the new liter size inline 4's have similar low/midrange, but they are crazy HP on top. And I'm guessing after going as long as you have without going for pure power, that will not be important to you. The superhawks are very nice bike. A quick ride on one should answer what you need to make a decision. Post your location in your signature - maybe someone is nearby and you could get go for a ride with a member here.

bill

956c 04-10-2010 08:49 AM

get a RC 51 !!!!!! and ride!!

Tweety 04-10-2010 01:42 PM

It's a bit thick with dust in here don't ya think?

peterpanic 04-10-2010 01:46 PM

Sooooooooo... did he get one? Any of these people still alive?