SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Should I buy this mystery Hawk? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/should-i-buy-mystery-hawk-13758/)

Goontah 02-10-2008 07:12 PM

Should I buy this mystery Hawk?

Hi everyone, don't have a bike but hope I can change that soon..

I found a 98 Superhawk with 38K on it but its a total mystery. It was owner abandoned at a shop, no receipts, no service intake - nothing. All in all it seems Ok, fairing are beat up but I might just street fighter it. BIG thing is is doesn't start, after a few days checking around here I'm worried its that CCT thing. I see you can do valve clearance tests to check, but I have no way of doing that = don't own it.
Basically, I'm willing to put some work in but I don't wanna open a can of worms and realize I gotta swap pistons and such. The bike is $1000, think I can talk them down though, but I don't wanna be stuck with a $700 bike with $1000 worth of problems.
What can I do to minimize the guesswork involved? I have pretty limited funds so an awesome bike such as this for $700(?) plus some parts/my own labor seems almost ideal.

Thanks in advance
(me cuddling under your wing)

RCVTR 02-10-2008 08:21 PM

I'd say, if you can't quantify what the mechanical condition is, stay away.
Simple as that.

Dave in NY 02-10-2008 08:25 PM

My first instinct is to tell ya to jump on it - you might be able to find an entire engine from a salvage yard (maybe make a few phone calls, find out what that would run you?). For $700, if you're willing to put some work into it, sounds like it might be a steal. Is the battery good? Does it turn over and just not start, or do you have no idea what the problem is? Hell, you could probably part it out on ebay if the engine's a basket case, and at least recoup your original 700 clams...Just my 2 cents...

Corona Hawk 02-10-2008 08:55 PM

[QUOTE=Goontah;149673]Hi everyone, don't have a bike but hope I can change that soon..

[FONT=Garamond]I found a 98 Superhawk with 38K on it but its a total mystery. It was owner abandoned at a shop, no receipts, no service intake - nothing. All in all it seems Ok, fairing are beat up but I might just street fighter it. BIG thing is is doesn't start, after a few days checking around here I'm worried its that CCT thing. I see you can do valve clearance tests to check, but I have no way of doing that = don't own it.
Basically, I'm willing to put some work in but I don't wanna open a can of worms and realize I gotta swap pistons and such. The bike is $1000, think I can talk them down though, but I don't wanna be stuck with a $700 bike with $1000 worth of problems.
What can I do to minimize the guesswork involved? I have pretty limited funds so an awesome bike such as this for $700(?) plus some parts/my own labor seems almost ideal.

Thanks in advance
(me cuddling under your wing)

I wouldn't do it if I were you. By the way what is the Zip Code and Phone Number?

Tweety 02-11-2008 05:50 AM

I'd say if it's stone dead it might be an expensive buy... but if it's a dead battery making it not even turn over, there is always hope... I'd say get it up on a rear stand, and put it in 6'th gear and turn the wheel around... you should feel and hear it if it's a CCT that is busted... Then stay away... other than that it might be a good price...

superbikemike 02-11-2008 06:24 AM

If you could get it for 700 not much risk as you could part out or sell for parts and get your $ back

calitoz 02-11-2008 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by superbikemike (Post 149720)
If you could get it for 700 not much risk as you could part out or sell for parts and get your $ back

too much work and hassel in my opinion. Unless you already have a hawk and use this for parts, it is not a good idea to start out with a dead carcass. It will simply turn you off on bikes as you'll spend more time fixing the thing than riding. Above all, unless you are Mechanically proficient and have all the tools neccessary, you will never get it to where it should be.

superbling 02-11-2008 07:51 AM

And what about the title? Sounds like a parts bike to me.

You can find good running but still need some work SuperHawks around the low $2k range now. Save you sheckles for one of those.

nuhawk 02-11-2008 06:19 PM

Yeah, I agree with the others, this is junk. Not worth the work to part it out and manage the sales. Find a different bike from an owner that appreciates the bike for what it is.

Goontah 02-12-2008 10:39 AM

Yar, I was hoping for an overwhelming, unanimous stance. Looks like 3ish to 3ish. The only reason I'm considering this is cuz its sub $1000. The bikes I always like are at least $2500, I don't have that just tucked beneath my mattress. Good (?) bike for a good price, hmmmmm.
If it was the CCT I was hoping bent valves at worst, then operate accordingly. I'm mechanically inclined and my friend has quite a few of the specialty tools, still I fear the can of worms. :eek:
Thanks for your advice btw.

thepathlesstaken 02-12-2008 11:58 AM

If it was abandoned at any reasonable shop and said shop is selling it without letting you know the condition of it that is a red flag.

I would like to think that any good mechanic or shop owner would have the bike checked out as to its condition (since it is the shops property now).

Just my thoughts on the matter.

I am currently debating on picking up a $500-700 Hawk GT that has just been left sitting (not put up right) for the last 3 years. I, like you, don't want to be stuck with expensive and time consuming repairs.

superbling 02-12-2008 12:04 PM

You haven't address the issue of the title.

reaper 02-12-2008 02:52 PM

Goontah:

Along with Superblings comment about the title, make the purchase of the bike contingent on having a qualified motorcycle mechanic look over the bike to make sure that it is repairable.

KindredGhost 02-12-2008 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by reaper (Post 150195)
Goontah:

Along with Superblings comment about the title, make the purchase of the bike contingent on having a qualified motorcycle mechanic look over the bike to make sure that it is repairable.

This is your best bet... have a good mechanic give it a detailed look over and pay the man 50 bucks for 1/2 an hour. It'll be a good investment.

KG

Motohead 02-12-2008 07:44 PM

If you can get a title, or the shop owner can file for a lost title via a mechanic's lien and you can talk him down to $750 or so, I'd be all over it. Buuuut, that's me and I'm really comfortable working on the Hawk. If you have to pay a mechanic for a once over, this probably isn't the best project for you, IMHO.