SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Shift Points/Normal RPM's (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/shift-points-normal-rpms-6544/)

Hawk I Fan 01-08-2005 09:24 PM

Shift Points/Normal RPM's

I am new to the Sport Bike World. I recently picked up a 98 Superhawk but my usual ride is a VTX 1800. My question is what are your usual shift points and what rpm range do you run in on a normal basis. I am used to the cruiser sound so the bike always sounds to me like it is going to explode. I think I am running at too low an RPM but dont want to push it too hard just in case.

Thanks for the Help

Hawk I Fan

marmaladedad 01-08-2005 10:38 PM

I usually shift between 4-6k rpm. Much higher when I'm pushing it in the canyon. :)

Let's see some pictures!!

john2kvtr 01-10-2005 02:01 PM

I shift around 5K for communting to work, but shifting around 4K will get you better MPG.

For sporting rides around 8K.

YMMV

faz 01-11-2005 01:29 PM

I have gone from a cruiser to a sport bike and you are right, it feels like you are over-revving it all the time.

But sportbikes (especially 4 cyl) are designed for higher revving of the engine, so don't worry about it.

My personal riding style: relaxed and smooth. For those purposes, I shift between 4-5k rpm which gives me a nice comfy ride (which again, compared to your VTX1800 that is quite high).

In twisties, I also like to short shift and keep the rpms lower. I don't see how a choppier throttle (at higher rpms like 8k ) can make a smooth ride... especially on the hawk where the torque band is so wide.

so, find where you are comfortable with and do just that.

StuDaddy 01-12-2005 08:56 AM

Re: Shift Points/Normal RPM's

I did the opposite and rode a buddy's VTX1800. Damn was that an odd feeling.... I was bouncing off the rev limiter at 20mph!!

john2kvtr 01-12-2005 09:53 AM

You have to control the choppyness (if that's a word) with smoother throttle control. You just don't slam the throttle closed unless you want to use the engine braking, to setup for the curves.

Originally Posted by faz";p=&quot (Post 1955)
In twisties, I also like to short shift and keep the rpms lower. I don't see how a choppier throttle (at higher rpms like 8k ) can make a smooth ride... especially on the hawk where the torque band is so wide.

Hawk I Fan 01-13-2005 01:25 PM

Re: Shift Points/Normal RPM's

Thanks for the info. I guess it is just going to take some getting used to.

Chris

faz 01-13-2005 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by john2kvtr";p=&quot (Post 1978)
You have to control the choppyness (if that's a word) with smoother throttle control. You just don't slam the throttle closed unless you want to use the engine braking, to setup for the curves.

Originally Posted by faz";p=&quot (Post 1955)

I have tried that... but I still like the lower revs through the turns.

I guess once I start riding track I will be more open to pushing the revvs up, but for street speeds, 5k-6k rpm works fine for my relaxed riding style. :)