SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Seized Oil Filter (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/seized-oil-filter-28766/)

TJ91 07-12-2012 04:53 PM

Seized Oil Filter

Hey guys, hope I'm not posting this in the wrong section. Im currently trying to do an oil change on the bike and the filter seems to be seized, I broke two oil filter strap tools already.
Any usefull tips on getting it out?
I'm about to put the old oil back in and ride over to the bike dealer tomorrow and have them do it but I really want to get this damn filter out and just finish the oil change.
Hopefully I can get some help on here
Thanks!

RWhisen 07-12-2012 05:08 PM

It's a screw on filter and shouldn't be that difficult. As a last resort I have driven a screwdriver through the body of the filter near the base and use it as a wrench on some cars.

TJ91 07-12-2012 05:13 PM

Yeah I've been watching videos on YouTube and people came up with some clever ways to remove it but now I'm think I should just bring it back to the powersports store and have them do it
I was contemplating the screwdriver method but then realized that if I'm unsuccessful at that point, then only way to bring it to the shop is on a flat :(

Wicky 07-12-2012 05:27 PM

Just think Buffy the Oil Filter Slayer...

http://f.cl.ly/items/231a2j2I3w03173...oil_filter.jpg

From UK Firestorm Workshop day as BSM's machine of darkness is slain with the aid of a screwdriver, mallet and a clove of garlic

Have you tried one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Filter...ht_2780wt_1163

7moore7 07-12-2012 05:35 PM

Performance Tool Oil Filter Wrench 2.250-3.500" Diameter Range Cushioned Handles on eBay!

I've had good luck with these as well (at any auto store). You can crimp the snot out of the filter with them to get a good grip/leverage.

+1 on the screwdriver in a pinch, though

TJ91 07-12-2012 05:39 PM

Thanks alot guys. The oil filter slaying is hilarious lol I think that will be my "if all else fails" plan
Thanks again guys lol

1971allchaos 07-12-2012 06:30 PM

Buying used S-hawks, and other bikes.. The oil change is -like the first process, Even before attempts of starting the bike..
I have used a monster set of channel lock pliers...

8541Hawk 07-12-2012 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by 1971allchaos (Post 337590)
Buying used S-hawks, and other bikes.. The oil change is -like the first process, Even before attempts of starting the bike..
I have used a monster set of channel lock pliers...

That is what I always use when I find one that is stuck ;)

mboe794 07-12-2012 07:16 PM

I once ripped the shell off a filter using the screwdriver method on a friend's bike. Wasn't too bad of a deal actually. Once that was off I found a good spot to put a wrench on it.

twinman 07-12-2012 07:22 PM

u took the words right out of my mouth vtr surfer LOL!!!!

1971allchaos 07-12-2012 08:12 PM

Hey VTR surfer... May I add to your suggestion, of buying a "socket style" oil filter wrench...
I would only suggest taking oil filters off with this tool... ONE hand tight is more than enough tighting pressure on a oil filter, ON any engine... after you lube the O-ring.
Just IMHO...

superdutyd 07-12-2012 08:54 PM

Try tightening it more first then loosen it. It works most of the time. I have metal filter wrenches to loosen them with a hole drilled in the side. If i get a real stubborn one i screw the wrench to the filter.

autoteach 07-12-2012 09:45 PM

If you ever worked on a BMW K bike, then you may just know what a stuck filter is really like. Seriously.

smokinjoe73 07-12-2012 09:53 PM

DONT admit defeat and slink back to the stealership. I have used the screwdriver method @ a zillion times. Also the channel lock pliers thing works too. You can crush the filter slightly to create 2 flat surfaces as you turn.

Fear not, it will come off.

eersfanpilot 07-12-2012 10:16 PM

Ran into the same issue when I tried to change mine. I took a drill, drilled all the way through it, inserted a long screw driver and used it as a handle. Worked like a charm!

TJ91 07-12-2012 10:52 PM

Wow guys! First off I want to thank you for all the help. This is my second forum, I'm currently on a great Camaro forum and I was hoping this forum would be a great community and it truly is! So thanks again
As for the filter, I will not accept defeat lol. I will get that filter out as soon as I get home from work one way or another. Think I'm going to try the channel locks, if not, screwdriver method looks like the way to go!

And yeah it was Honda who did the oil change last and clearly over torqued everything including the drain plug!!! I'll be torquing everything to spec

oahu hawk 07-12-2012 11:35 PM

I like to loosen up my bike/car oil filters with the engine cold, then snug the filter up enough so it doesn't leak and then run the engine to bring the oil up to temp for draining...never had a stuck fiter using this method.