SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   rotors (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/rotors-17527/)

minkis 02-12-2009 06:47 PM

rotors

Hey all,

Just joined the forum. I got myself a VTR last fall w/ only 13K(miles). The only thing i need for the spring now is a new set of front rotors as the current ones are warped.

A new set of Galfers for me up here in Toronto, Canada would cost me about $756 CAD~ (608 USD) or more given that our dollar is dropping. EBC is only a tad cheaper. Regardless of the currency, that hurts bad.

Not sure if i want to go used. But given the cost difference perhaps it's worth it? I am not sure. I intend to keep the bike for a while so it might be worth getting new ones. What other options do I have? Any other rotor brands?

I know a few people swap to the RC51 calipers and brakes. I'm not sure if that would be a much cheaper solution.

Anyways, your thoughts on the matter are welcome.

Edit: sorry if this belongs in technical

LineArrayNut 02-12-2009 06:52 PM

i bought the chinese wave rotors off ebay. 235 for all 3 IIRC

minkis 02-12-2009 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by LineArrayNut (Post 200481)
i bought the chinese wave rotors off ebay. 235 for all 3 IIRC

Was it these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=250365475339

LineArrayNut 02-12-2009 06:58 PM

i bought mine from villamotor

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ght=wave+rotor

LineArrayNut 02-12-2009 07:03 PM

looks like he went deadbeat under that name; those you listed looked alot like mine...

nuhawk 02-12-2009 07:09 PM

Remember LAN he's in Canuckerville and everything costs twice as much as it should. National health care - you know - the same shit the Dem's are trying to get passed here. I think up there they call it a value-added tax.

I run Prolite Rotors from EBC - they're cheaper than waves. I have a set of stockers that are true but you need to make sure that the rotors are the cause of the pulse. I sold my last set of stocker stateside for $50 plus, the same deal is yours. LMK

1) If the forks have ever leaked the pads need to be tossed and new installed. At 13k this is certainly possible.

2) The rotors including all the holes need to be cleaned in soapy water. You should run a round brush through every hole. You can do this with the wheel still on the bike - no need to pull it all apart.

3) If the rotors have been removed from the wheel make sure the receiving surfaces are absolutely clean. Not even a fleck of paint is permissable.

4) Make sure the lines are not a factor. I you have older factory rubber lines replace them with stainless braided lines.

Good Luck & Welcome!

minkis 02-13-2009 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by nuhawk (Post 200494)
Remember LAN he's in Canuckerville and everything costs twice as much as it should. National health care - you know - the same shit the Dem's are trying to get passed here. I think up there they call it a value-added tax.

I run Prolite Rotors from EBC - they're cheaper than waves. I have a set of stockers that are true but you need to make sure that the rotors are the cause of the pulse. I sold my last set of stocker stateside for $50 plus, the same deal is yours. LMK

1) If the forks have ever leaked the pads need to be tossed and new installed. At 13k this is certainly possible.

2) The rotors including all the holes need to be cleaned in soapy water. You should run a round brush through every hole. You can do this with the wheel still on the bike - no need to pull it all apart.

3) If the rotors have been removed from the wheel make sure the receiving surfaces are absolutely clean. Not even a fleck of paint is permissable.

4) Make sure the lines are not a factor. I you have older factory rubber lines replace them with stainless braided lines.

Good Luck & Welcome!

Healthcare is probably the cheapest thing we have. You would laugh at what insurance will cost me on this.

Forks seem fine. Tires are new (in case they are the cause of any vibrations). I still got original lines but i'd like to wait till spring till i replace those.

I havn't tried cleaning them. So I might have to get back to you on those stock rotors later. I sort of feel limited in what i can do right now to test it out. Sitting unplated and it's icy out. Whatever I play with now, i can't quite test till April.

nuhawk 02-13-2009 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by minkis (Post 200633)
I havn't tried cleaning them. So I might have to get back to you on those stock rotors later. I sort of feel limited in what i can do right now to test it out. Sitting unplated and it's icy out. Whatever I play with now, i can't quite test till April.

You can pull one of the calipers off and see if the pads are dark or feel oily. If it does then you know. If the seals have been done throw the pads away. Wash everything and install new pads.

Calitoz and I have done some business and he always blamed the high costs of traffic across the border on the national health care system but like everything that gov't does it bleeds into everything else as you suggest. Good Luck!

PUSHrod 02-13-2009 12:37 PM

Did you actually check the runout of the rotor with a dial indicator? In the latest issue of Motorcyclist magazine, a contributor writing about brake problems mentioned that what he thought was warped rotors was really contamination from the brake pads being held against a hot rotor after a long hard stop.

After scrubbing with scotch brite mounted on a drill pad, the pulsing symptom went away.

Being parsimonious, I always go for the free or cheap fix before throwing money at a problem. (Can you tell that I don't work for a government entity?)