SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Rode my first RC51 yesterday... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/rode-my-first-rc51-yesterday-17148/)

CentralCoaster 01-05-2009 10:45 AM

Rode my first RC51 yesterday...

I love it when people are willing to share. :D

We swapped on our way back from some twisties. Most was in traffic, but I still got a chance to open it up and get a feel for it. The other guy was curious about the Superhawk too.

Not sure if it was just his bike, but it felt much tighter than my hawk. Tighter throttle, brake, more engine braking.

The tank and seat shape sort of forced me to hump the tank in the twisties. Hanging off just felt awkward.

Power-wise it felt the same as the Hawk, just a little more of it. And damn, there's really no wind protection whatsoever even when tucked. On my hawk I like to scoot back and rest my chest on the tank. If I really want to, I can get my helmet on the tank too.

He also had a 2bros exhaust, surprisingly quiet compared to my Arrow cans, but it really crowds the space for your heels if you ride on the balls of your feet.

I can't really compare the steering or handling, as he had a pretty stiff damper on there which I didn't care for. I'm just not used to it.

FL02SupaHawk996 01-05-2009 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster (Post 194570)
I love it when people are willing to share. :D

We swapped on our way back from some twisties. Most was in traffic, but I still got a chance to open it up and get a feel for it. The other guy was curious about the Superhawk too.

Not sure if it was just his bike, but it felt much tighter than my hawk. Tighter throttle, brake, more engine braking.

The tank and seat shape sort of forced me to hump the tank in the twisties. Hanging off just felt awkward.

Power-wise it felt the same as the Hawk, just a little more of it. And damn, there's really no wind protection whatsoever even when tucked. On my hawk I like to scoot back and rest my chest on the tank. If I really want to, I can get my helmet on the tank too.

He also had a 2bros exhaust, surprisingly quiet compared to my Arrow cans, but it really crowds the space for your heels if you ride on the balls of your feet.

I can't really compare the steering or handling, as he had a pretty stiff damper on there which I didn't care for. I'm just not used to it.

CC, thanks for the ride comparison! I've never ridden an RC but come close to trading my SH for an RC in the past...Just couldn't bring myself do it...may be due to the fact that my SH already has as nice suspension as the RC51:)
RC

zmaniv 01-05-2009 11:40 AM

Grrr im jealous

I would love to at least get to try one out.

Tweety 01-05-2009 11:46 AM

Well... yeah it's abit "tighter"...:)

And as far as ergos I think my main gripe wasn't that it's "cramped" as a few say... It's the fact that it has one seating position and that's it... no moving about... If your not comfortable in the stock seating position you need to be an acrobat to achive another... Hanging of felt ok to me to a degree atleast... I might have had a bit more seat time than you as I did nearly an hour of fun twisties... At which point a had to wrangle my VTR from the owner as he was having a good time, and was a lot more comfy than he was used too... And still able to keep pace... Don't ask me why... But he has since bought a superhawk aswell...:)

As for wind protection... well if you can achive one you are officially classified as an midget...:)

FL02SupaHawk996 01-05-2009 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 194574)
Well... yeah it's abit "tighter"...:)

And as far as ergos I think my main gripe wasn't that it's "cramped" as a few say... It's the fact that it has one seating position and that's it... no moving about... If your notcomfortable in the stock seating position you need to be an acrobat to achive another...

As for wind protection... well if you can achive one you are officially classified as an midget...:)

That's exactly what I was thinking while sitting on one recently at a dealership...I may never find a bike worthy of replacing my SH, so one day I may end up with 2 bikes...LOL!
RC

Tweety 01-05-2009 12:07 PM

Yeah... well too my dismay I just don't fit that well into that stock position... To tall...:(

And this is probably the reason behind my completely economicaly unjustifiable attempts to fit various parts from CBR's and RC51's to my hawk...:)

I'll have to console myself by chasing them down in the twisties... They get so embarrased when they get passed by their touring cousin...;)

FL02SupaHawk996 01-05-2009 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 194576)
Yeah... well too my dismay I just don't fit that well into that stock position... To tall...:(

And this is probably the reason behind my completely economicaly unjustifiable attempts to fit various parts from CBR's and RC51's to my hawk...:)

I'll have to console myself by chasing them down in the twisties... They get so embarrased when they get passed by their touring cousin...;)

Take it to them with a big stick Tweety:)
RC

RCVTR 01-05-2009 02:09 PM

I wanted my Super Hawk back ASAP when I rode the RC51 for the first time.

I don't think the RC51 comes in to it's own until you are reaching the limits of what the Suepr Hawk is capable of. I used to leave my friend Dean in the dust by a few seconds a lap when he was on his RC at Thunderhill. He had a Super Hawk before the RC and was amazed. He'd just shake his head and say "I couldn't hang with you". But I was never at the limits of the Super Hawk chassis. It was a highly capable track bike - more so than I was a rider.

On the street, an RC51 can't really be used to it's potential. Not that it's not a great street bike, but a Super Hawk, with some suspension tuning and a good rider is right there with it.

After four years, it will probably be a while before I can reach my previous lap times, but from there I think I will progress fairly quickly. The RC51 chassis is vastly better than the Super Hawk chassis. But until you reach the limits of the Super Hawk, anything more is unnecessary.

CentralCoaster 01-05-2009 02:16 PM

I was only on it for maybe 30 minutes. The guy who rides it is probably 6'2", so he was enjoying my hawk with the helibars.

I didn't push it too hard because well, it ain't mine, I ain't used to it, and I've only been riding for 1 year.

I'm not sure if I'm sold on the digital guages either. It looks pretty, but isn't as clear to read at a glance as the needles. My vette has digital guages too, and they're mostly useless. I use a shiftlight on it.

FL02SupaHawk996 01-05-2009 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by RCVTR (Post 194581)
I wanted my Super Hawk back ASAP when I rode the RC51 for the first time.

I don't think the RC51 comes in to it's own until you are reaching the limits of what the Suepr Hawk is capable of. I used to leave my friend Dean in the dust by a few seconds a lap when he was on his RC at Thunderhill. He had a Super Hawk before the RC and was amazed. He'd just shake his head and say "I couldn't hang with you". But I was never at the limits of the Super Hawk chassis. It was a highly capable track bike - more so than I was a rider.

On the street, an RC51 can't really be used to it's potential. Not that it's not a great street bike, but a Super Hawk, with some suspension tuning and a good rider is right there with it.

After four years, it will probably be a while before I can reach my previous lap times, but from there I think I will progress fairly quickly. The RC51 chassis is vastly better than the Super Hawk chassis. But until you reach the limits of the Super Hawk, anything more is unnecessary.

+1 on the SH chassis being plenty for us commuters! Also, if I had an RC51 I think I'd replace many parts to try to get closer to the SH's ergos on it anyway:)
RC

59burst 01-05-2009 07:58 PM

I love the RC51, but it doesn't love me. I'm just too big for it. My legs are too long. That ridge on the sides of the tank that your legs should sit behind hits me right in the knees. Wouldn't be comfortable for even 5 minutes for me. I'll stick with the super hawk. I don't need a race bike anyway. The hawk has plenty of performance.

sr2-e 01-21-2009 05:08 PM

the chassis of RC51 is not behind too hard gut. so because for 2 persons adjusted.
Öhlins or Wilber's chassis is better.

thefauxnarchist 01-21-2009 07:05 PM

yeah i just picked up my RC's a few months ago--the expression a hawk on steroids is pretty accurate...i think i wouldnt love my RC's as much if i had experienced a hawk with proper suspension. in stock form it's just not there, the RC's stock suspension feels leaps and bounds ahead of the hawk. also, the RC51 is so damned intimidating to ride at first (especially when then PO put some ridiculous gearing on it). after you get comfortable on it though, its awesome. not that i'd do a mega tour on it, but i wouldnt have any second thoughts about hopping on my RC and doing a 200+ mile stretch...i'm 6'0 and 195ish. only complaint is how porkly it is when going slow...ie: splitting lanes is a pretty hair until you get used to it...

Byrdman 01-21-2009 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by zmaniv (Post 194573)
Grrr im jealous

I would love to at least get to try one out.

same here

thefauxnarchist 01-22-2009 10:24 AM

oh i rode my hawk again after the longest time last night--sheesh what a night and day difference. the hawk is narrow and tall, and the get up just isnt there lol. can't believe i'm saying that about a liter vtwin "the power just aint there" haha

FirestormMike 01-30-2009 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all, haven't been on here for a very long time, but I made the jump from the Superhawk to the Rc-51. Spent a shedload of money on the old bike, saw the SP, had a ride and bought it there and then. I do miss my old bike bigtime though and hopefully will buy another soon. Here's the unmolested standard example I got hold of......

Attachment 29901