SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Riding in the real world... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/riding-real-world-21049/)

nath981 12-20-2009 08:59 PM

speaking of crash stats, Oklahoma State U is conducting a fed funded study on motorcycle crashes. I sent them a copy of a article i wrote about "road repairs specifically endangering motorcyclists" posted on the link below. If you have something relevant to say, you may want to put your 2 cents in. if you google, contact info is available or i can get it for you.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...t=20792&page=2

mikstr 12-21-2009 05:53 AM

The MSF has expressed some concerns about this particular study, mostly related to the small sample size to be used. Do a search on Google and you can read all about it.

Jim TT 12-21-2009 07:26 AM

Dont blame banks? Ok but there is a LOT to blame them for if not in this circumstance.

Jim TT 12-21-2009 07:30 AM

I bought a 2008 CBR1000RR because it was too cheap not to buy: $7500.00 out the door brand new.

c-dub 12-21-2009 10:19 AM

cash payment or did you finance? just curious.

Jim TT 12-21-2009 10:58 AM

C, I paid cash; Chicago area dealers were not dealing and just gave the $2500 Honda rebate but I found a place in Masdion Wisconsin that gave me the price.

nath981 12-21-2009 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 247610)
The MSF has expressed some concerns about this particular study, mostly related to the small sample size to be used. Do a search on Google and you can read all about it.

yeah i see that. thanks. More evidence that politicos in the US are sleeping at the wheel. I could probably write a book on the differences in perceptions relative to the act of driving and how this directly reflects an amercian value system that generally diminishes its significance. The act of driving is more of a side effect, something you have to do, a boring necessity, a time to multi-task, etc., and generally too mundane to merit serious attention. Having traveled 2 million miles in North America over 20 years as a trucker and about another mil on bikes and cars has left me with a less than positive view of American drivers in general.

Motorcycle crashes for the most part go unreported unless they involve another vehicle or serious injury. Pick it up and nurse it home or have it hauled. Motorcycle accidents are widely diverse in terms of their etiology, but fallacies like you need lean to initiate turn, rear brakes is how you stop, and wind in your hair cruising, enjoying the scenery, looking cool, and ego along with other dangerous perceptions, combined with a lack of understanding of the how traffic situations and potential hazards can bite you are responsible for most mishaps.

nath981 12-21-2009 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jim TT (Post 247646)
C, I paid cash; Chicago area dealers were not dealing and just gave the $2500 Honda rebate but I found a place in Masdion Wisconsin that gave me the price.

are you parting it out? I'll take the front end, the rear wheel and swing arm. PM sent.:D:D:D

Tweety 12-21-2009 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by RK1 (Post 247585)
Bill;

I probably could have been a bit more clear in my response to your post.

I don't think a 400 lb. 115 h.p. bike is a good first ride for a 16 year old. Or a 26 or 36 year old for that matter.

I wouldn't want/let a 16 year old son get one. And sure, finance and insurance companies should chose who they do and don't want to finance and insure and for how much.

On principle, I just really hate the idea of giving the government the power to decide how big a bike anyone can ride.

And sooner or later they'd get around to informing us that nobody "needs" a 100+ horse power sport bike.

ONLY IF YOU, THE PEOPLE LET THEM!!!

I Sweden the system actually works in a similar way... And even if flawed it actually works in a is a good idea in my opinion...

Here you can at 16 get a license for a 125cc (max 11kW) at 18 you get a license for a bike of max 25kW & max 0.16 kW/Kg (This rules out all the RR's) and a 21 you get the full range...

All of these you need to do a full theoretical and practical exam (even if you have the previous license, you still do the exams), And it needs to be done on an applicable bike, ie the full license you need to do the exam on a 750cc or larger bike...

All the licenses come with a 3 year temporary status... Ie one warning or fine on record during that time and the license is gone... not suspended or whatever... Gone as in go back to driving school and re-take the licensce... And any and all other licenses you have goes with them... Ie fuck up on a bike and you get to re-take all the exams to get you car license back... And the bike one...

And the theoretical + practical on a car license is around $350... For a bike around $500... If you want both... Add them up...

The effect of this is that the squids around here get at least to 24 before they start killing themselves of... And at that point a few of them have gained the full use of most of their braincells...

Then add to this that under 25 to insure a sportsbike is kind of a moot point... The insurance at 21 with a fresh license for a 600 RR or similar is about twice what you pay for the bike new at the dealer... Over 25 it starts getting reasonable... At 30 which I just passed it starts getting actually cheap... Also registration and insurance can only be in the same name...

And it's also standard policy that if the bike is registered to a older person (say mom or dad...) The policy is only valid to a user in that age bracket... Ie if dad is 55 and squidly is 25 and he crashes the bike insured in dads name he gets 0... If dad hovewer lends it to a mate of 50+ years, it's ok...
And as a temporary user squidly can be added for a limited time (usually a week) but then the deductable is doubled or tripled during that time...

End result? Squids that survive long enough to sit on a big sportsbike legally, and as it's legal owner, tends to have gained enough experience and self preservation to be a lot less squidly...

malone 12-22-2009 10:06 AM

Shessshhhh and I thought our laws here in South Australia were harsh. To get your L's to ride you have to do a 2 day Learner course and then you can ride a bike with a power to weight ratio of up to 150kw/tonne. This includes most 250cc machines and in some cases up to 650cc. Once you are confident on this bike you then do the L2 course which enables you to get rid of the L plate on the bike but you are still restricted to that class of bike for another year. At the end of that year your licence reverts to an open class licence. Total cost all up including courses and licence upgrades is about $750ish