SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   removing paint from wind screen (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/removing-paint-wind-screen-27752/)

aja 03-09-2012 04:13 PM

removing paint from wind screen

I sprayed the inside of my windscreen black because the gauges would catch glares pretty often coming through it. Well I accidentally scratched a small line of paint off with a tool and need to respray it. What kind of chemical could I use that won't damage the plastic?

RWhisen 03-09-2012 04:45 PM

Any type of paint remover will potentially melt or at the very minimum cloud the plastic.

Wicky 03-09-2012 05:17 PM

Spray it again with what you first sprayed on the inside.

Alternatively as it seems you don't mind an opaque screen - rub down the inside with fine wet&dry and respray afresh.

or simply buy a tinted screen...

aja 03-09-2012 07:10 PM

I know there has to be something that won't ruin the plastic.

I tried touching it up and the new layer made the bottom layer crinkle and it looks even worse now. I plan to get a tinted screen but I want to fix this one until I get a chance to get a tinted screen

oahu hawk 03-09-2012 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by aja (Post 326996)

I tried touching it up and the new layer made the bottom layer crinkle and it looks even worse now.

Did you sand it before you repainted it as Wicky suggested?

Wicky 03-10-2012 12:48 AM

If your spraying using a solvent based paint such as cellulose that'll cause your wrinkly problem - Try an acrylic based paint after sanding down the entire innner surface

or for just a few dollars ... Honda Super Hawk Superhawk 996 VTR1000 Black Windscreen Wind Screen Shield | eBay

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Honda-Super-H...V)K!~~60_1.JPG

Originally Posted by aja (Post 326996)

I tried touching it up and the new layer made the bottom layer crinkle and it looks even worse now. I plan to get a tinted screen but I want to fix this one until I get a chance to get a tinted screen

aja 03-10-2012 06:33 AM

I didn't sand it, I used the rustoleum paint that is for plastic, it said no sanding needed. I only painted the inside of the screen so its still glossy when viewed from the front, I want to avoid sanding so it doesn't look like shit from one side.

RWhisen 03-10-2012 07:02 AM

Take some wet/dry sand paper, sand the painted areas and feather the edges where the scratch is located. Clean the surface to be painted with denatured alcohol after sanding. Apply another light coat of paint and repeat as necessary to attain the desired coverage. You'll never see the touchup if you follow this method.

Proper surface prep is a necessity for a good paint job.

Wicky 03-10-2012 07:03 AM

I didn't say you had sanded it - but to remove all the paint from the inside you'll need to wet&dry it off. It won't matter if you matt the inside before repainting with what ever paint you choose as the outside will still be gloss.

But you are making work for yourself with the availability of relatively cheap tinted screens... just saying :-)

RWhisen 03-10-2012 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Wicky (Post 327021)
But you are making work for yourself with the availability of relatively cheap tinted screens... just saying :-)

No doubt....

aja 03-10-2012 08:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, I didn't mean to make it out like you said I sanded. If sanding the inside won't affect the look from the outside I will do that. I'm familiar with proper paint prep and temperatures.

Touch up won't work, I already tried and this happened, so I just want to strip it and re spray it.
Attachment 24989
As far as a tinted screen, I know I know, but my wife would give me shit for ordering a new part after everything I've already ordered.