SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Red Hawk Down (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/red-hawk-down-26114/)

FastRED 07-09-2011 05:06 PM

Red Hawk Down

Beautiful sunny day in Portland, OR. with plans on going to the beach.. I just had to go for a quick ride, and get my fiend on. I was going through an area that had a couple different sets of corners i usually go through a couple times a week. I was going on the second set, right before i went into the corner i slowed to about 70 (30mph advisory) and went in. 3/4 of the way through i went too low and the bike slid out right from under me. Luckily about a week before i had purchased my alpine stars jacket and gloves. slid on my back for about twenty feet until i hit the gravel. The worst part of it was there was a horse competition going on right there next to me. 20 people came running over and cars were stopped, i got up and just waived everybody off. Will be towing later this evening. So, i'm sure ill be on here buying some parts later this month hopefully, i'll have pictures up for everyone to take a look at. I walked away relatively unharmed thankfully

RWhisen 07-09-2011 05:11 PM

Good that you weren't hurt!

sheldonsl 07-09-2011 05:56 PM

It's better to enter a turn slow and exit fast than to enter fast and exit dead.

Wolverine 07-09-2011 07:06 PM

And out of curiousity you had what kind of tires??

Glad your ok!

Tormoz 07-09-2011 08:03 PM

I used to do some road racing, and we constantly discussed tires that would grip 'n slip, and others that would grip like crazy and then suddenly let go. Is that still the case?

FastRED 07-10-2011 05:59 PM

Michellins were on her. Yeah it was crazy, im glad to be verticle and breathing, and have learned a couple things; 1- Dont assume traction 2- steady as she goes.

VTRsurfer 07-10-2011 06:37 PM

Glad you're okay! Like they say, any accident you walk away from...

I sucks when something like that happens and you have an audience. Good luck with the repairs, and get some Bridgestone's. They stick like glue, and they're very predictable.

I went down on a freeway transition road about 22 years ago. It was a very fun tight chicane, right-left-right, that I'd taken at speed probably 400 times on the way home from work, hanging off. I hit some diesel fuel was my best guess. Luckily I was able to ride my 700 Nighthawk S home, after borrowing an allen wrench to straighten out the left bar.

ranchomice 07-12-2011 11:11 AM

Michellin what? Glad you're ok, bikes can be fixed.

Travelinguy1960 07-13-2011 12:52 AM

Glad you are ok!
I am also in the market for tires and would appreciate some advise as I ride in rain often and the mean temp in Seattle is only +/- 60'.
thanks,
Gunny

98VTRrider 07-13-2011 05:18 AM

glad you're ok

When you start putting your Hawk back together let me know if you need any parts, i have a spare bike right now