SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   real 919 vs. superhawk (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/real-919-vs-superhawk-7536/)

sckomar 08-29-2005 06:18 PM

real 919 vs. superhawk

well guys, I hope to have pictures for you soon, but my superhawk if officially being retired to the scrap heap. My buddy bought a brand new 919 last week, I told him about the impressive things everyone had to say on here, and after riding the thing I am a believer. As it turns out, it was a little bit too much bike for him. He asked my buddy and I to take a picture of him as he was riding through the GA mountain on Saturday, and numb nuts locked up the rear and slid about 150 feet hitting my parked SH dead center on the side.

Damage is pretty severe:
bent rear subframe
exhaust totally destroyed including headers
Gilles rearset destroyed
Mirrors gone
All plastic broken
bar ends, etc
The only thing not damaged is the tank

So there is a good chance I am going to have some parts to sell on here if the insurance company lets me salvage anything from her, which they should because they are going to royally screw me. Anyway, if you are looking for something in particular, let me know.

Incase you were wondering, the impact was at 15 mph dead center on the rearset. Bent my kickstand into a question mark on the other side of the bike. Most of the hardware is still good, but there is so much damage that they are going to total her out. The 919 only broke a headlight, front fender, and dented the gas tank.

superbikemike 08-29-2005 06:30 PM

Re: real 919 vs. superhawk

Man, that just sucks!

superhawk22 08-29-2005 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by superbikemike";p=&quot (Post 10004)
Man, that just sucks!

+1 :shock:

troy_v 08-29-2005 07:39 PM

That really sucks, dude. I hope your friend and the insurance companies do you right.

That said, I'd be interested to buy whatever parts from your Gilles rearsets are salvagable.

Troy

sckomar 08-30-2005 07:13 AM

Believe it or not, everything is fine on the rearset with the exception of the bracket that holds the brake switch and master cylinder. Everything else is great, but the guy at the dealership said he beleived they did not sell that piece seperate and so he was just going to quote it as a whole new set. I am sure you could pick up that piece by itself.

jschmidt 08-30-2005 07:27 AM

Its a separate part (and he probably knows it.)

blokeontheend 08-30-2005 09:35 AM

talk about target fixation! He hit the bullseye! Sorry to hear that - are you gonna buy another SH?

sckomar 08-30-2005 09:40 AM

I don't know if I will get another SH or not. I absolutely love the bike, I guess it just depends on what kind of deals are out there. I might just buy it back at auction and fix it myself for a fraction of the cost. Forks and main frame are good so it is a rideable bike. I guess only time will tell. A dealership around the corner has an '03 RC51 that is brand new for 8,300 and it is kinda calling my name. Who knows.

blokeontheend 08-30-2005 11:04 AM

A dealer in Wisconsin is selling one on ebay for $7800 BUY IT NOW px. I think I heard someone say they paid $7000 - probably on the VTR registry. That's a good deal on the RC51, although I think they made significant changes since '03 - it's worth checking into. IMHO, you should be able to find a deal on a SH and it's much more street worthy. I ride 200-300 miles each time I'm out on it. Not bad for a 37 yr old father.

RonVTR 09-02-2005 12:28 AM

Hey, there might be a silver lining here...
You have good forks, frame, tank and I'm assuming motor and swing arm... right? All the real expensive stuff. That's a great start on a VTR streetfighter!

I had a lowside on the VTR (with the help of some mid-corner gravel) and damaged many of the same parts as on your VTR. The insurance company totaled it. I bought it back for $1,000. I took the rest of the money and bought another VTR. As for the totaled VTR, check it out...
https://www.superhawkforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1171

The streetfighter VTR is a very fun bike to ride. It runs like a 400cc bike with muscle... Light and Fast. One odd thing I didn't expect however, was all the Wow!, Nice bike! and Cool! comments I've had. More than any bike I’ve ever owned.

AbeFM 09-02-2005 10:16 AM

Yeah - check out what the P.O. did with my bike. He was asking 4k cause "that's what I got into it" - but with all nice stuff all around, you could do the same. He also had to buy forks, a wheel, breaks, and got powder coating and chroming done. You could do it way cheaper and get something really nice.
________
MEXICO HOTELS

sckomar 09-09-2005 11:31 AM

Insurance company totalled the Shawk. Sucks, but I actually made money on this deal. I bought the bike really cheap, and it was pristine. Got it for 3,500 and the insurance company cut me a check for 5,500. Not a bad deal all in all. I don't know what I am going to get next, hopefully another hawk in the winter when bikes are cheaper. Take care guys, may see you around here again.

superbling 09-09-2005 11:39 AM

Just to clarify: who's insurance is paying? Yours or numb nuts?

Utah996 09-09-2005 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by superbling";p=&quot (Post 10481)
Just to clarify: who's insurance is paying? Yours or numb nuts?

I believe he said his. Not the friend that hit him....which..I was about to comment on.