SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   R / R replacement question (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/r-r-replacement-question-16734/)

YellowBird 11-10-2008 05:57 AM

R / R replacement question

Two weekends ago I switched out my R/R with the R1 model. Everything went smooth.(or seemed to). I did not start the bike since it was late and I have not had a chance to ride it until this morning. Battery was good before the switch. Today it's almost dead. If I have the lower two wires (the green and red) backwards, would it have drained the battery just sitting there? I am pretty sure I got them right but I guess I could have reversed them from the diagram. Heck, anythings possible. :(

Cleveland 11-10-2008 07:24 AM

My first inclination is to say "yes, reversing the red and green would drain the battery"... but I differ to more knowledgable members.. It may still be another issue.

Cleveland 11-10-2008 07:30 AM

http://vtr1000f.wickidnet.com/mod_images/rr_mod_04.jpg

Here is the pic you need to look at. Verify yours is hooked up the same way. Note the plug clip, and the position of the red and green.

YellowBird 11-10-2008 04:19 PM

Thanks Cleveland. I got home and checked my connection, I did have it right. I checked the battery and it's showing 12.8V. I have it on my charger and will slip it back in tomorrow after work. I was not having any problems before the switch, just wanted to do it. I didn't fool with anything else so I can't imagine what might have happened. Guess I'll see tomorrow.
:confused:

skokievtr 11-10-2008 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by YellowBird (Post 188271)
Thanks Cleveland. I got home and checked my connection, I did have it right. I checked the battery and it's showing 12.8V. I have it on my charger and will slip it back in tomorrow after work. I was not having any problems before the switch, just wanted to do it. I didn't fool with anything else so I can't imagine what might have happened. Guess I'll see tomorrow.
:confused:

12.8V is not abnormal for this battery based on not being charged (it looses 1% per day based on 13.0V full charge) depending on age and condition. If it routinely is at 13.25+/- after a 1.5 hour ride, your good.

YellowBird 11-11-2008 06:16 AM

This morning the battery showed 13.2V. So the battery should be fine. Is there something I can and should check either before or after i start it? I know the wireing is right, checked and double checked. It's was pretty straight forward. I cut off the plastic shroud exposing the clips. Covered each of them with heat shrink and plugged them in. I used the R1 R/R. Buttoned it all back up and zip tied the wired down. It could be just the battery being down a bit on charge and I'm assuming it has something to do with the swap. Your thoughts?

RickB 11-11-2008 11:02 AM

My '02 will get weak after sitting for over a week, its the original battery so I can't complain a lot. I leave the little charging harness connected and hidden behind the seat cowling so I can hook it up to the battery minder real easy periodically or a few hours before a ride if its been sitting.

Cleveland 11-11-2008 11:29 AM

Man.. you jinxed me.. went home for lunch today gonna ride back in.. pulled it out of the garage, switched key on, dash lit up, hit the starter, then DEAD! Nothing! No neutral light or anything.. I just rode it yesterday, and the day before, and the one before that, etc.. Come to think of it she was acting hard to start yesterday.. and one day last week.

BETTER not be the R/R.. I did the swap to an R1.. Battery is a year or so old. Never on a ''tender'', but I ride every day or at least every other.. never more than 4 days. Gonna check it tonight.. fingers crossed (hoping for loose batery cable)

man, DAMN!

YellowBird 11-12-2008 10:09 AM

That sucks big time. That's just what I did, all suited up, my son on his duck ready to ride along with me, and my SH wouldn't start.
I put it on a charge. Ended up reading 13.2V and 14.5 with the bike running. Guess it's OK.
Hope yours worked out as well.