SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Preemptive CCT and R/R replacement? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/preemptive-cct-r-r-replacement-35074/)

RJF53 08-15-2018 06:21 PM

Preemptive CCT and R/R replacement?

So I just picked up a really clean 2000 Superhawk. Very well cared for and only 5100 miles. I changed the fluids and had new tires put on today at a reputable local shop. I asked the mechanic to take a look at the CCT and he said it is original and in great shape. I've read on here that this is a weak spot as well as the rectifier/regulator.

Should I have these items upgraded even though they appear to be operating as intended?

VTR1000F 08-15-2018 06:55 PM

Yes.

E.Marquez 08-15-2018 08:47 PM

I’d love to know how the mechanic did his nondestructive material analysis for condition and metallurgy of the thin wire spring which the OEM ACCT relies upon to not catastrophically fail

i’ve worked with a few material laboratories they could do it but can’t say I’ve ever met a mechanic that could

yes do your own research make your decision either replace the cam chain tensioner‘s with brand new OEM automatic units and then replace them again at regular intervals or change to manual camp chain tensioners and never worry about it again

The regulator rectifier is also a no brainer.The old style diode based unit will fail today tomorrow next week or next month when it does it will also likely take out the battery some wiring connector or two and if you’re really unlucky your instrument cluster

The regulator rectifier is also a no brainer.The old style diode based unit will fail today tomorrow next week or next month when it does it will also likely take out the battery some wiring connector or two and if you’re really unlucky your instrument cluster on the other hand you can replace it at very reasonable costs with a MOSFET regulator rectifier and never worry about it again

Wolverine 08-16-2018 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by RJF53 (Post 407279)
Should I have these items upgraded even though they appear to be operating as intended?

Protect your investment and get them swapped! They could last a day or a year, it's a gamble. These acct's are still failing on a regular basis, as seen on the more frequented fb groups.

RJF53 08-16-2018 05:16 AM

I'm convinced. Ordering replacements for both today. Thanks for the info!

captainchaos 08-16-2018 09:55 AM

Yeah I was kinda curious as well as to the exact technique used to determine how a CCT is "in great shape." Why take a chance if given the opportunity to upgrade? Do those two things and the bike is basically bulletproof.

E.Marquez 08-16-2018 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by RJF53 (Post 407284)
I'm convinced. Ordering replacements for both today. Thanks for the info!

I know a guy....................

Superhawk Mosfet RR Kit $120.00

RJF53 08-16-2018 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 407290)
I know a guy....................

Superhawk Mosfet RR Kit $120.00

Perfect. I'll take one!

It looks like the option of choice for the tensioner is the APE Manual CCT. Is that what you would suggest?

E.Marquez 08-16-2018 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by RJF53 (Post 407291)
Perfect. I'll take one!

It looks like the option of choice for the tensioner is the APE Manual CCT. Is that what you would suggest?

I think any of them work, some work better than others.

Right now I really like the APE Pro, is cleaner, its RED....lol, it works.

I've had the standard APE on my first VTR, the Krieger's and now the APE Pro on my current VTR.

grampi50 09-07-2022 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 407281)
I’d love to know how the mechanic did his nondestructive material analysis for condition and metallurgy of the thin wire spring which the OEM ACCT relies upon to not catastrophically fail

I just blew beer threw my nose! That's hilarious! It must have been that 6 week class he took to get his apprentice cert...