SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Plans for my 1st Iron Butt ride... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/plans-my-1st-iron-butt-ride-17950/)

CentralCoaster 03-19-2009 11:29 PM

Plans for my 1st Iron Butt ride...

I'm planning on doing 1000 miles in 24 hours with 2 other riders. One of the other guys has ridden cross-country before, and is even riding to Chicago and back next week on his Bandit 1200. The other rider is my g/f on her Ninja 500.

I'm planning the route to San Francisco and back, a few Thursdays from now.

Here's what I've got so far:

Leave Oceanside at 1 PM
600 miles the 1st day
Get a motel for 5-6 hours
400 miles the 2nd day
Arrive in Oceanside by 1 PM

We'd make our way past L.A. by 3pm, so we avoid most of the traffic, take the scenic route through Frazier Park, across the coastal mountains to Pismo Beach, up Hwy 25 as the sun sets, and into Hollister, up to San Francisco and across the golden gate, then east to Modesto, where we all get cheap lodging for the night and our three S's (shit-shave-shower), then south on 99 and I-5.

I threw some scenic routes and twisties in during the daytime on the way up to keep it interesting. At night, we'll be heading up through San Jose and San Fran, so the city lights will break up the boredom. The 2nd day is shorter because it's just that much more tiring, and straighter so we can make up time if we need to. On long rides, I always end up saying "fuck it" and hauling ass the last part of it just to get it over with.

Our range on gas is about 130 miles, but I'm thinking maybe 100 mile stints would be more reasonable. We need to stop for gas and get receipts regardless on anytime we head off the beaten path, otherwise that mileage won't be certified.

So am I nuts or what?

Fozzy Bear 03-19-2009 11:59 PM

Sounds like a good hard ride. Are you using anything on the seat? I find that to be the limiting factor on a storm.

Do you guys have Airhawks over there? These things are brilliant and extend the touring range (bum wise) to pretty much indefinite. This is the aussie distributor

http://www.airhawkguy.com.au/

Cleveland 03-20-2009 04:58 AM

I've been looking into the 50CC.. the problem is: after you get it done, you still have to come back. That's the kicker for me.

Good luck on it.

kai ju 03-20-2009 07:24 AM

[QUOTE=Fozzy Bear;206264]Sounds like a good hard ride. Are you using anything on the seat? I find that to be the limiting factor on a storm.

I highly recommend bicycle shorts, they don't bunch up and make any seat more comfortable.

I'm really curious on what fuel mileage you're going to get.

Kai Ju

L8RGYZ 03-20-2009 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster (Post 206261)
So am I nuts or what?

Yep! Why you want to wear out the middle of your tires like that?

cameron 03-20-2009 07:39 AM

good luck this sounds like ass suicide. atleast it would kill mine.

CentralCoaster 03-20-2009 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cleveland (Post 206278)
I've been looking into the 50CC.. the problem is: after you get it done, you still have to come back. That's the kicker for me.

Good luck on it.

I would only consider that if I had a loooong vacation, or if I trailered/shipped the bike out and then rode back. I guess a friend could drive the truck back and be your "support vehicle".

Or you can opt for the 100K in 1 year. :eek: That's like doing an ironbutt twice a week.

CentralCoaster 03-20-2009 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by L8RGYZ (Post 206294)
Yep! Why you want to wear out the middle of your tires like that?

It'll be a good test of the new Michelin PR2 rear. The other guy said he got 11,000 highway miles out of one. So I'm hoping between this and canyon rides it'll suit me well.

maverick 03-20-2009 04:59 PM

None of you guys like road trips on your bikes??? If your ass hurts sit on a pillow it's not rocket surgery.

CentralCoaster 03-20-2009 06:39 PM

Maybe I could pick up a hemmoroid pillow at the halfway point.

Seriously though I should sew some pads into my riding pants. This would also come in handy since I use them for snowboarding. Too bad I melted the right leg on my last ride though. :( I'd like to sew pads into my jacket on both sides of the zipper as well. Hell, my mother is a seamstress, I'll just ship her all the crap with a blank check. Problem is I can't go more than a few days without riding.