SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Pilot Power 2CTs CHEAP?!?!? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/pilot-power-2cts-cheap-16718/)

HisHawkiness 11-08-2008 11:13 AM

Pilot Power 2CTs CHEAP?!?!?

Today I started looking around online for some new tires since the ones on my SH are definately in need of replacement. I went with the Pilot Power 2CT last time and loved the tire so I decided to go with it again.

SO..... the pricing on these things is all over the map, Kneedraggers.com at 182 bones, BikeBandit.com at 198, Motorcycle-superstore.com at 156....(all rear prices)

But one site, an unknown to me "www.derbycycles.com has them for 139, and the rear for 109 (motorcycle-superstore.com wanted 132)

Anyone ever used this site? the total for front/rear was 249 but after shipping/taxes it was 277, only 12 dollars cheaper than motorcycle-superstore.com and their free shipping/no taxes...not sure why this place charged taxes when no one else seemed to....

anyway, just curious if anyones bought through them....after the taxes its not saving much cash and for some reason i don't trust them but i figured maybe someone had used them succesfully so id ask.

jbaxx 11-08-2008 11:51 AM

That's where I got my 2ct's for my CBR. They shipped 'em out real fast and the price was untouchable. Definitely recommended.

Blue Ridge Boy 11-08-2008 12:02 PM

Damn those are good prices!!

HisHawkiness 11-08-2008 02:31 PM

Id just like to know why they charge $15.00 in taxes when the other sites don't charge anything unless you live in certain states, the taxes make it so they are only about $12.00 cheaper than the other sites. Must be the state law where they are located.

HisHawkiness 11-09-2008 11:35 AM

Well, I placed the order. ill report back on how it goes.

Also Ordered a full set of Stands, Spools, and a Chock for my truckbed from T-Rex last night, woohoo

Phaedrus 11-14-2008 08:42 AM

I've been shopping for Pilot Road 2s and found that www.tirexpress.com was cheaper than www.derbycycles.com by about $5 plus free shipping.

I stopped by the local dealer yesterday and asked how much they would charge to swap tires that were purchased online, including mounting and balancing, if I brought the wheels in, compared to the same thing if I purchased the tires directly from them. I don't know if the dealer was just trying to convince me to buy the tires from him, but he warned that often times online tire sellers will have unbeatable prices because the tires are sometimes of older stock and getting hard. He suggested first asking the online seller for a number printed on the tire, then looking up on the Michelin website as to the date when that particular tire was made. I'm wondering if anyone has done this or had purchased a tire online then discovered when it arrived that the rubber was older and harder than a fresh tire.

trinc 11-14-2008 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Phaedrus (Post 188671)
I've been shopping for Pilot Road 2s and found that www.tirexpress.com was cheaper than www.derbycycles.com by about $5 plus free shipping.

I stopped by the local dealer yesterday and asked how much they would charge to swap tires that were purchased online, including mounting and balancing, if I brought the wheels in, compared to the same thing if I purchased the tires directly from them. I don't know if the dealer was just trying to convince me to buy the tires from him, but he warned that often times online tire sellers will have unbeatable prices because the tires are sometimes of older stock and getting hard. He suggested first asking the online seller for a number printed on the tire, then looking up on the Michelin website as to the date when that particular tire was made. I'm wondering if anyone has done this or had purchased a tire online then discovered when it arrived that the rubber was older and harder than a fresh tire.

most shop around here ( portland, OR ) will charge $30 - $40 PER tire for mount & balance & usually $5 or FREE if you buy them at the shop.

if you buy online tires it may be worth getting some buddies together & buy a mounting maching.

tim

Cleveland 11-14-2008 09:19 AM

You only have to worry about the age of the tire if it is more than 6 or 7 yrs old. Even some of the local places you shop at may have tires that old.. there was a news segment on this issue. Someone probably knows the link..

kostavtr 11-14-2008 09:49 AM

I got my pilot power 2cts at cyclegear about 3 weeks ago for $130 for the rear and they installed for $10 if you take them the rim you should check them out if theres one in your town they always have sale deals

lazn 11-14-2008 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by kostavtr (Post 188682)
I got my pilot power 2cts at cyclegear about 3 weeks ago for $130 for the rear and they installed for $10 if you take them the rim you should check them out if theres one in your town they always have sale deals

Ya Cycle Gear is regularly the cheapest if you bring them the rim.

Rock 11-14-2008 06:19 PM

As far as the date of manufacture, the date will be a 4 digit # on the sidewall example 2607 translates to the 26 th week of 2007, not sure if all tires manufactured use this, but I think so ...

badboyrr 11-14-2008 06:20 PM

tires

SWMOTO TIRES AZ

inderocker 11-14-2008 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by badboyrr (Post 188720)
SWMOTO TIRES AZ

+1 on Southwest Moto Tires!!
Great Prices!!!
http://www.swmototires.com/

trackdayhawk 11-14-2008 07:16 PM

$30-$40 to change/mount/balance a tire always seemed excessive.
Watch the Harbor Freight ads for specials on the tire changers and motor cycle tire adapters. I got both for ~$70, have saved that many times over in trhe last two years. It takes some practice, but easy to do quickly. I also built my own balancing stand with roller blade bearings (~$3 ea.) a couple pc. of 1/8" aluminum, and some perf'ed angle iron, good to a few grams.