SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Onboard videos (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/onboard-videos-7027/)

Galaxieman 05-01-2005 10:00 PM

Onboard videos

Here's a pair of clips from my newly installed tank cam. I'm still working out the mounting position and some vibration issues, but it's not too bad...

On and off ramps

Wheelie

-Jim

NOrrTH 05-02-2005 10:02 AM

Re: Onboard videos

Not too bad at all. Try pulling the windshield off so we can see better and it will be perfect.

AZZKIKER 05-03-2005 06:14 AM

I think you need to bring the camera down a little so you can see half of the RPM gauge. I am in the proces of puttong one on my tank because I will be at the deals gap thursday.

superbling 05-03-2005 07:23 AM

I'll second the idea of framing some of the tach. Or don't frame any part of the bike at all. Framed as is, a partial windscreen only detracts.

I have been shooting some vids with the camera bundled in a tank bag full of towels. Combine that with the camera's optical stablization (does yours have that), I get pretty smooth video. Audio is also good as I get very little wind noise at the expense of exhaust (mainly intake).

I've had great results with this setup on other bikes but the big problem on the VTR is my dark DB screen. Its optics suck because of the design's shape not the quality of the screen itself. I get a lot of reflections on the backside of it (two sets of guages, etc). I have a very scratched stock screen so that presents it's on set of problems; need to get a better on and try that.

superbling 05-03-2005 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by AZZKIKER";p=&quot (Post 5025)
I am in the proces of puttong one on my tank because I will be at the deals gap thursday.

Oh yeah, you suck! :twisted:

Galaxieman 05-03-2005 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by superbling";p=&quot (Post 5029)
Oh yeah, you suck! :twisted:

I'll second that!

The camera does have image stabilization, but I just read up on the thing and found out that while the 16:9 wide shot option is really cool, it disables the electronowizardry that runs the anti-vibration stuff. Which sucks. To remedy the problem, I'm looking into a 0.5 wide angle lens, which would allow me to get the wider shot, and also include the gauges too. I should probably get a second windshield, since the one I've got mounted now has DoD stickers on the front (the curve you see at the bottom center), which would block some of the view were I to lower the camera. If I can get the camera far enough forward, the stickers wouldn't be a problem. But then I wouldn't have the gauges on the shot either... I think I'm going to get the lens, then see where that puts me with my current mounting position, then re-evaluate the mount.

-Jim

NOrrTH 05-03-2005 01:45 PM

Why not run without a windshield just for the video?

Galaxieman 05-03-2005 02:13 PM

Two reasons: Bugs and wind noise. I picked up the 0.5x wide lens I mentioned earlier, and I think it's gonna fit the bill. If I can convince my wife to go out to dinner at bike night tonight, I'll give the ramps another run. Otherwise it's dinner here and the run will have to wait till later in the week, after I get the Thesis monkey off my back.

-Jim

Agarwaen 05-08-2005 11:02 PM

Galaxieman,

whats the music you have mixed in with the clip? Its great, but I have no idea who did it!

Galaxieman 05-09-2005 09:44 AM

Prodigy. The track name is Charley (Beltram Says Mix), from the Charley/Everybody In the Place CD single. Some of Prodigy's best stuff is on the CD singles, as they're full of cool remixes.

Galaxieman 05-22-2005 03:30 PM

I updated the tank cam setup, added a wide angle lens, and re-shot the ramp loop. I've still got a bit of a vibration issue, I think I'm going to have to get kinda radical w/ bracing to take care of that (mount a bipod of the front as well as being on the tank mount), but this stuff is much better. The downside to not having the throttle-whack vibrations making the tape skip is now the big bumps on the road make it skip... Can't win for losing... Anywho, I just copied over the old vid, so the new video is at the same spot the old one was:

On and off ramps

AZZKIKER 05-22-2005 04:25 PM

Much better that way. Where is the wheelie video?

wheeliefun996 05-22-2005 05:21 PM

Cool pics! Has anyone tried the helmet camera? You can put it anywhere and run your recorder from a fanny pack or tank bag. Helmet camera.com has some cool stuff for all kinds of sports. Check it out.

Galaxieman 05-22-2005 07:34 PM

Haven't re-shot wheelie vids, as the rear tire looks like a drag slick right now. Front doesn't lift too well when all the rear is doing is spinning... Got a good line on some Pilot Powers, having them installed next week. Better wheelie vids to follow.