SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Ohh, it burns... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/ohh-burns-16688/)

noof 11-04-2008 01:06 PM

Ohh, it burns...

3 Attachment(s)
So I finished rebuilding the 99 motor that I had gotten a couple of months ago. Put the whole mess back together, cranked it a few times... wouldn't go. Hmm, wonder why? pulse generator unplugged, doh. So, plugged it in and tried again. Life!... for a second. Hmm, kept dying.

Tried again... and this resulted. Which brings me to my second question: how do I dispose of this? The lower engine case (below the heads) is probably fine but the frame isn't.

lazn 11-04-2008 01:08 PM

Oh no! Always have a fire extinguisher in your garage.. Something similar happened to a friend of mine with a truck..

Little_Horse 11-04-2008 01:27 PM

I feel your pain, I once caught my truck on fire... not fun to watch. That sucks, issurance going to cover it?

Starbucks Fueled 11-04-2008 01:36 PM

Noof, that sucks to see your ride go up. I've been putting a SH back together for almost 2 years now. I would die to see that happen to my bike.

If the frame is trashed, maybe you could help me out, and make a few bucks at the same time. I need one of the top subframe tabs to weld back to my frame. Mine was lost in the wreck from the original owner. If you would be willing to hacksaw off one of the top subframe tabs, as close to the main frame as you can, I would be glad to pay $20 or so for your time and shipping of the tab. PM me if interested.

Again, sorry for the loss of the Hawk.

SlowHAWK 11-04-2008 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by noof (Post 187621)
Which brings me to my second question: how do I dispose of this? The lower engine case (below the heads) is probably fine but the frame isn't.

I think the above post answers your question.... part it.

J.

Cleveland 11-04-2008 02:05 PM

Wow.. Damn dude, I REALLY hate that for you.

+1 on parting it out.

killer5280 11-04-2008 02:22 PM

That just makes me want to cry.

noof 11-04-2008 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by cornandp (Post 187623)
I feel your pain, I once caught my truck on fire... not fun to watch. That sucks, issurance going to cover it?

I wish, it wasn't insured because it was a work in progress (up until that day, why insure it if it can't go on the road?) It caused some damage to my house as well so we'll see what happens there.

Originally Posted by Cleveland (Post 187630)
Wow.. Damn dude, I REALLY hate that for you.

+1 on parting it out.

I wouldn't mind parting it out except that most of the metal bits are coated in a dark black glue now.. I could crack the engine case and take those bits as they're probably fine but that'd take up a lot of space (wanted to wind up before winter.) Lots of things weren't on the bike when it went up, fairing headlight windshield front wheel etc. Basically I wanted to get rid of/give someone the corpse and maybe they can get some $ from it, or I could maybe go to a recycler (I don't really want to drag it around though)

zmaniv 11-04-2008 02:37 PM

Try claiming it on the homeowners policy.

killer5280 11-04-2008 02:38 PM

Where are you located?

noof 11-04-2008 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by zmaniv (Post 187635)
Try claiming it on the homeowners policy.

HO-3 doesn't cover it, the adjuster has already been by.

noof 11-04-2008 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by killer5280 (Post 187636)
Where are you located?

I'm in the Boston, MA area.

Little_Horse 11-04-2008 02:40 PM

homeowners issurance won't cover the bike or any other "vehicle", so ironically had the motor not been in the frame and caught on fire it may be covered but since the bike was pretty much complete...

Truckinduc 11-04-2008 04:02 PM

im sorry man that really sucks. I will buy a piece of it, right side foot control.

trinc 11-04-2008 04:22 PM

that really sucks ! i too had a car go up in flames... a terrible thing to watch.

parting out:
do you have a rear frame cowl ? the one that covers the rear sub frame.

tim

Gregw 11-04-2008 05:50 PM

That's really painful. I'm glad you're OK though. Any idea what caused the fire?

badboyrr 11-04-2008 06:19 PM

Sorry about your Hawk....aweful! Glad your ok though.

noof 11-04-2008 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gregw (Post 187652)
That's really painful. I'm glad you're OK though. Any idea what caused the fire?

It's good to be fine. Just burned my knuckle, that's all. I imagine it was an intake pop, and the ultra rich mixture from turning it over with no spark (no pulse generator -> no spark)...

If you look at the gas tank, it was maybe a couple of minutes from exploding (it had ballooned...)

Originally Posted by badboyrr (Post 187656)
Sorry about your Hawk....aweful! Glad your ok though.

And I was interested in seeing what the V2 hullabaloo was about (already have two VFRs and a CBR) :x

nevinreilly 11-04-2008 06:32 PM

my condolences

That looks like it was quite a fire. Terrible to see. I almost did that to an early 70s Dodge farm truck in high school but smothered it with enough damp rags before it got too out of hand.

I swore I wouldn't put anymore $ into my bike, but if your stator is still good I'd give you a few bucks for it.

Nevin

noof 11-04-2008 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by nevinreilly (Post 187658)
That looks like it was quite a fire. Terrible to see. I almost did that to an early 70s Dodge farm truck in high school but smothered it with enough damp rags before it got too out of hand.

I swore I wouldn't put anymore $ into my bike, but if your stator is still good I'd give you a few bucks for it.

Nevin

I can't guarantee anything on there is good ;)

nuhawk 11-04-2008 06:40 PM

I hope you got a good Sawzall because that's about the best way of offing it. As the others have said gut out the good parts and cut up the rest.

nevinreilly 11-04-2008 06:56 PM

I certainly understand the questionable quality of the remaining parts. If it doesn't appear the wires or coil have melted it's probably ok. It looks from the right side that whatever is inside the bottom end should be fine.

Just let me know when you get around to pulling things apart. Thanks, and best of luck with the clean up!

Blkbird 11-04-2008 06:56 PM

holy shit that sucks!

Hotbrakes 11-04-2008 08:01 PM

The metal alone must be worth something...$200 maybe? What a terrible demise. Hopefully it was quick and painless.

rbrais 11-05-2008 10:33 AM

Damn man! Sorry for your loss. I think I would cry.

L8RGYZ 11-05-2008 02:34 PM

Looks like you tried to put it out with gas??? You had a serious fuel leak, I guess.

j/k I was just thinking how cool that you can work on engines like that... then I saw the pics. Sorry all your work went up in flames.

FTMS 11-05-2008 02:43 PM

Dam that sucks. If you are looking to part some suff out, I would be interested in the rims if they are still good.