SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   No alarm-no insurance!? Any recommendations? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/no-alarm-no-insurance-any-recommendations-17275/)

Sleeper 01-19-2009 01:01 PM

No alarm-no insurance!? Any recommendations?

2 Attachment(s)
OK. Here is an eye opener for me.

Checked with several insuance companies and the VTR was on their restricted list :shock:. TD insurance came through with a really good quote: 450 for the full year givng one million liability 500 deductable on fire/theft/collision.
I thought it was pretty good but the gal said that's WITH 'a professionally installed alarm system' which has to include audible/pager/GPS tracking. How much without? Zero. They will only offer liability insurance without one.
I searched the forum but I couldn't find any solid recommendations. Does anyone have a link or information on the subject that might be useful?

BTW inderocker, I found the 'manage attachments' button. Here are some photo's. The one by the truck has no chin fairing 'cause I just did an oil change. She's partially debadged in that one.

-D

RK1 01-19-2009 01:54 PM

Can't help with alarm systems, but have some comments;

Theft OK, but why require an alarm/pager/gps for collision or fire?

$500k liability? Why? If you ever hit something hard enough to do $500k in damage I guarantee you won't be around to worry about it.

VTRs aren't worth that much. Unless you want one anyhow, I'd skip the alarm and just get a liability policy.

Sleeper 01-19-2009 04:07 PM

I know. They had some weird minimums and combinations but still WAY cheaper than my other quotes.

Maybe it's because if I ever clipped a Harley there's a good chance the wannabe on board would be a lawyer. Even without a lawyer on board, the ongoing repair bills alone would be...well, I'd rather not think about it.

-D

RickB 01-19-2009 04:19 PM

some companies, Geico in my case don't even offer discounts when you do have an alarm. I guess they all have their own policies...

g_clarke_2008 01-19-2009 04:52 PM

Try Allstate, that's who I use in Calgary

j shizzy wizzy 01-19-2009 06:52 PM

a good cover, a motion sensor alarm, and chain it to something. a friend of mine has some crazy ass motion detection alarm he puts on the seat then covers it.unless you know where it is, theres no way to not trip it it! of course a paging system would be sick!

Gregw 01-19-2009 07:00 PM

Unfortunately, paging systems can be defeated unless you run a second isolated power supply.

j shizzy wizzy 01-19-2009 08:39 PM

true, but how many dumbshit thieves know how? if someone wants anything bad enough they'll get it. all we can do is make it more of a hassle!

CentralCoaster 01-19-2009 10:15 PM

Insurance is a scam. For the price of proper insurance you can buy a new bike more often then it'll get stolen.

Dano 01-19-2009 10:31 PM

Is it mandatory you use this company? Having a GPS enabled alarm system sounds like more hassle than its worth. I pay $7/month through Progressive for 100/300 liability and a bit of personal medical on the plan. I've used Allstate for the better part of 10 years on my other vehicles and flat out laughed on the phone when my agent told me the rates would run with them.

Sleeper 01-20-2009 06:08 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a call into allstate. TD was just the least expensive (by a lot) so far. They definately are not manditory. Judging by the snow depth in the back lane I'll have lots of time to shop around.

-D

Dano 01-20-2009 06:24 AM

Progressive or Geico will be cheaper than Allstate. Shop around for sure and you'll get the best deal. Good luck.

Little_Horse 01-20-2009 07:17 AM

insurance companies will fluctuate back and forth on the rates because of competition. Also as far as allstate which I have for my bike and cars becomes more competitive if you have more than one policy with them. I agree with everyone else too, just get liability.

syf 01-20-2009 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sleeper (Post 196718)
TD was just the least expensive (by a lot) so far.

-D

Have you had a bike stolen in the past? Previous claims or tickets/accidents can drive up premiums pretty fast.

FWIW, I have Progressive on my car and bike, albeit in WA, and the multi-policy discount was almost as much as the liability on my bike. Basically $150 a year for comprehensive and a $250 deductible.

Sleeper 01-20-2009 04:27 PM

syf: Nope, I have a perfect record. No speeding tickets, or claims of any sort. After phoning more Ins companies and surfing this forum, it's clear that I would likely be better served with just liability and save my money for 'bike bling'.

How do you guys keep the fuzzy dice from blowing off the mirrors?

-D

inderocker 01-21-2009 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sleeper (Post 196630)
OK. Here is an eye opener for me.

Checked with several insuance companies and the VTR was on their restricted list :shock:. TD insurance came through with a really good quote: 450 for the full year givng one million liability 500 deductable on fire/theft/collision.
I thought it was pretty good but the gal said that's WITH 'a professionally installed alarm system' which has to include audible/pager/GPS tracking. How much without? Zero. They will only offer liability insurance without one.
I searched the forum but I couldn't find any solid recommendations. Does anyone have a link or information on the subject that might be useful?

BTW inderocker, I found the 'manage attachments' button. Here are some photo's. The one by the truck has no chin fairing 'cause I just did an oil change. She's partially debadged in that one.

-D

It's good to see more titanium around here! :)

As for me, I just rock liability, They'd never give me enough $$$ to pay for the VTR anyways.