SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   New VTR owner (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/new-vtr-owner-33932/)

DeLoreanBoy 05-10-2016 05:07 PM

New VTR owner

10 Attachment(s)
Just picked up a very nice VTR last weekend. So far I am absolutely loving it. I have been on Hondas since the mid 90's. CBR's were my thing and I toured a lot on them too, many trips from east TN to the outer banks, Myrtle Beach and Panama City with nothing but a 600cc rocket and a backpack. Then moved up to a 02 VFR800 and it was nice but I just lost the fire inside to ride and ended up selling it around 2008.

Then one spring a few years ago it came back and I tried a Cruiser (Intruder 800) ...it didn't take. 2 years and only 1500 miles. I just didn't care for a cruiser so 2 weeks ago I sold it and started looking for a big CBR, RC 51 maybe another VFR(yeah I'm partial to Hondas).

I stumbled across this 98 VTR and I couldn't ignore the condition of it. The owner was just like me...OCD anal to a fault. I ended up buying it with 22k miles and I offered him 3k which he took. I knew full well these bikes were under appreciated and this bike would normally fetch 2500 or so but the sheer condition and upkeep was worth it to me. All 100% original plastic with not one single blemish and since I do paint and body work I can spot that stuff. It didn't even have one touch up mark and these were OE fairings.

It was all stock except for the DelKevic slip ons (which he had the originals too) and the manual CCTs. Normally I bob the rear fender and maybe do some cosmetic anodized bits and maybe a tinted windscreen but I can't bring myself to tamper with a time capsule. It made it 19 years like this and I'm not going to mod it.

So far I love the engine...it actually rides and feels much like a VFR minus the V-Tec hit at 7k. I never cared much for half fairing bikes but this one really appeals to me. It almost has a old school cafe racer look to it. I can't describe how good it felt being back on a sportbike after a 8 or 9 year absense. Luckily I kept my leathers...once you find leathers that work you just don't want to part with them. Anyway, looking forward to learning about the big Honda twin.
Here are a few pics after I detailed and cleaned what little dirt there was left on it:

VTR1000F 05-10-2016 05:15 PM

Not going to mod it...well, OK, then you better stay off this forum or you'll end up with a bad case of OCMD. You're already three letters on your way.

Very clean, very nice. Welcome to the forum.

Wolverine 05-10-2016 06:09 PM

Welcome. Sure is a clean one! One thing that stands out... these bikes are known to have very soft fork springs. If you are not familiar with how to properly set up sag, check out this link - how-set-sag. Reason I mentioned it, it appears as if your preload adjusters are up pretty far. Well, I guess you may be 110# wet lol!

CruxGNZ 05-10-2016 06:11 PM

Man, that is a clean Superhawk! Give it a couple more rides and you'll find the suspension isn't the best, so you'll remedy that, and the R/R needs to be replaced to a MOSFET type, and while you're at it... OCMD.

DeLoreanBoy 05-10-2016 06:12 PM

Thanks. I need to go through the suspension and reset everything to factory settings and begin to feel it out a little. I don't ride like I used to and this is going to be ridden gently. I'm 180 and the PO looked to be right around the same but still better to start with factory settings and go from there rather than build on someone else's settings.

Fastguy59 05-10-2016 06:15 PM

Beautiful find! Welcome, keep informed as your love affair progresses!

Meier Link 05-10-2016 09:05 PM

Welcome. That's a beautiful find! Have fun and she will treat you good. I second CruxGNZ about the R/R mod. I fried mine last year and luckily for me Mat had a spare but it's known to be one of the biggest problems with the VTR.

Glad to see the VTR sparked the embers of the fire.

DeLoreanBoy 05-11-2016 05:55 AM

The acronyms are lost on me R/R? What is OCMD?

Meier Link 05-11-2016 06:03 AM

Regulator/rectifier and I will let your mind run on OCMD haha.

DeLoreanBoy 05-11-2016 06:13 AM

I'm going to have to visit the mods page. I'm all about correcting factory flaws such as the CCT issue. Did the same on most all of my past Hondas around the 15k mark but I understand on the VTR it can fail and cause serious damage. I was really referring to cosmetic mods and unnecessary "performance" modifications. I'm no purist by any means.

AndyMX47 05-11-2016 08:25 AM

Looks fantastic - I weigh 180, and swapping to 0.90 kg fork springs and fresh oil really helped control dive under braking. Added a 6mm shim between shock and frame, raised the forks 10mm in the clamps, RR from a ZX-6, and braided steel front lines = super canyon carver. Hopefully that's not too OCMD for you!

VTR1000F 05-11-2016 09:05 AM

The mods page? This has already become a mods page.

OCMD, Obsessive Compulsive something Disorder. I don't remember what the M stand for.

DeLoreanBoy 05-11-2016 09:10 AM

Well my wife says I'm OCD with everything that has wheels and often jokes she is going to put wheels on our house so I will treat it as good as the garage.

I will hopefully get some mileage In this weekend. I will "reset" the suspension settings and put the cold tire pressures at normal...I believe the PO bumped them a bit.

So I'm guessing it means Obsessive Compulsive Mod Disorder?

thedeatons 05-11-2016 04:35 PM

That's the one... Doctor Emmett Brown had the same problem, so yer in good company...

James

Wolverine 05-11-2016 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 395674)
This has already become a mods page.

:modownz:

VTR1000F 05-11-2016 06:38 PM

Mods, not mod's. Thanks for playing, mod.

Wolverine 05-11-2016 06:42 PM

http://memesvault.com/wp-content/upl...at-Meme-03.jpg

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/c3/c3f2c...7cc107ea11.jpg

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/0f/0f013...ea39daf0a0.jpg

VTR1000F 05-11-2016 07:58 PM

*"you're"

Wolverine 05-11-2016 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 395700)
*"you're"

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/IZr8xxYXKJ4/hqdefault.jpg

VTR1000F 05-11-2016 08:18 PM

It was the most annoying thing I could think of on short notice. Or should I say of which I could think.

Now, let's get back to modding the new guy's bike.

Wolverine 05-11-2016 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by DeLoreanBoy (Post 395647)
It made it 19 years like this and I'm not going to mod it.

VTR1000F 05-11-2016 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by DeLoreanBoy (Post 395672)
I'm going to have to visit the mods page.

DeLoreanBoy 05-11-2016 09:19 PM

LOL, like I said. I'm not against safety mods or things the factory fauted on.

Now if the handlebar switch pods were all faded out (like most are at this age) or if it bad a bump and bruise here and there then I would change my tune and be looking at anodized levers, caps, tire huggers and since I do paint t and body, dreaming up a ultra cool color scheme and maybe a large lower belly fairing. Thing is this bike is just flat out mint and when a sportbike approaches 20 years old and still looks like this, it just has a certain charm to it to look stock and unmolested.
I don't have any delusions however, this bike is never going down in the books as a collectors bike so blinging it up a little is a no harm/no foul kind of thing but for me it just looks cool as is.

Wolverine 05-12-2016 06:25 AM

All good DB, we like to have a little fun here and there. Like I mentioned above, if (when) you feel your front bottom out on harsh bumps, turn them preload adjusters in. A spring swap made a ton of difference, so consider this an area the OE messed up on, and it's a safety issue (justification for the wife hehe).