SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   new to riding the hawk (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/new-riding-hawk-16854/)

cameron 11-26-2008 03:13 PM

new to riding the hawk

today i was riding. like all the other rides i have taken on the hawk just short trips 4-5 miles. well unlike the other rides i opened it up a little 100mph just little quick burst then back down to 70. and compared to my old katana wow this thing will throw your head back. so as i am nearing a 40mph bend i slow to 65 pretty tame turn. i got less than hundred miles on new tires and will take it easy till scrubbed in. but from what i can tell this bike will turn on a dime. i still didnt get anywhere near the edge of my tire . so when i get back in town and pull up to a red light my old clutch release i would use to take off with a little speed on the kat nearly threw me off the bike. i had to grab a hand full of clutch to keep the front down. so after looking like a compleate idiot jerking the bike to a start i puttered along home. but that little incident at the stop light got me thinking. how easy is it to break the rear loose coming out of a curve on this bike? compared to the 92 750 katana i have rode for two years this bike is scary fast in the midrange. i will be easing into this new bike but im getting tempted by the power, to just romp on the throttle and go eat up some curves. so far i love this dam bike. im just curious how easy would the rear step out? this bike seems like quite a step up and i dont think my same hammerfisted ways on the kat will go far with the hawk. im thinking the hawk will help develop some much needed patience or finnesse with the throttle.:draggin:

divingindaytona 11-26-2008 03:39 PM

In my opinion the twin in easier to ride than an inline. The power comes on farily smooth and predictable. Through the corners twins can use more throttle, because they dont snap into the powerband like inlines do.

I have broken the end of the shawk loose a few times, but that was because of bald tires, or hurricane rain, or sand on the road, or unweighting the back end.

Breaking the back end loose under power would be difficult, unless there was a bump in the corner, that unsettled the chassis.

E.Marquez 11-26-2008 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by divingindaytona (Post 190213)
Breaking the back end loose under power would be difficult, unless there was a bump in the corner, that unsettled the chassis.

Really? I routinely slide the rear wheel with throttle input.. It's great fun. Mitch PP warmed up, nice sweeping corner, aggressively roll on the throttle, and the back end starts to drift out,,,,,, very controlable. Lots o fun.

Jetted, carbs in tune, plenty of power to break the rear end loose.

cameron 11-27-2008 05:54 AM

it sounds like to slide the rear out i would have to be really pushing it. so ill be a little less worried to roll on the throttle coming out of a corner. but both of your bikes seem like they are set up similar. so im wondering if tx super chicken has changed the sprockets for torque and excelleration?

motojoe 11-27-2008 06:56 AM

Ride it more. You'll get used to it and wonder how come you did'nt own one before now.

E.Marquez 11-27-2008 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by cameron (Post 190301)
it sounds like to slide the rear out i would have to be really pushing it. so ill be a little less worried to roll on the throttle coming out of a corner. but both of your bikes seem like they are set up similar. so im wondering if tx super chicken has changed the sprockets for torque and excelleration?

I dropped one tooth in the font.. But the SH would break loose the rear in leaned over situations with aggressive throttle use with stock gearing.

Really no all that impressive,,, When your on the edge of the tire (traction) and you push it harder (more lean, more speed, more brake or more throttle) it will slide. Better tires make this a controlled action....crappy tires make this an all or nothing deal.. and with some tires over the years,,, air pressure, correct size and warm up has made the difference between crappy and great a vary thin line. The Mitch PP and the like, are very forgiving tires...

Sliding the rear (or front) with intention in a controlled hand is not something that feels comfortable when you start out, and I learned the hard way over a lot of years... that the control and feeling learned is best done NOT ON THE STREET. In my youth,,,, I was not that smart, times were different.. had a lot of bikes fall out from under neither me in the late 80's :D Was never my fault though:violin: rally,,, those darn tires,,,,,,,:rolleyes:

cameron 11-27-2008 09:17 AM

i live in north east texas and havent seen another superhawk around. thats one of the big reasons i got mine. didnt want a gsxr or cbr rr because they are everywhere. so if your ever up near dallas give me a shout it would be cool to ride whith another hawk. sorry bout the shitty tires in the 80s

Tweety 11-27-2008 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by cameron

Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken (Post 190308)
I dropped one tooth in the font.. But the SH would break loose the rear in leaned over situations with aggressive throttle use with stock gearing.

Really no all that impressive,,, When your on the edge of the tire (traction) and you push it harder (more lean, more speed, more brake or more throttle) it will slide. Better tires make this a controlled action....crappy tires make this an all or nothing deal.. and with some tires over the years,,, air pressure, correct size and warm up has made the difference between crappy and great a vary thin line. The Mitch PP and the like, are very forgiving tires...

Sliding the rear (or front) with intention in a controlled hand is not something that feels comfortable when you start out, and I learned the hard way over a lot of years... that the control and feeling learned is best done NOT ON THE STREET. In my youth,,,, I was not that smart, times were different.. had a lot of bikes fall out from under neither me in the late 80's :D Was never my fault though:violin: rally,,, those darn tires,,,,,,,:rolleyes:

No, you really don't need to push it that much... The difference is that while an inline four snaps the rear out without that much warning if you push it and you are in the powerband, the twin has alot more linear powerband... it will push at lower revs.... not enough to break loose, but still on the power, still very much fun... and if you keep it up it will gradually reach the point where a rear end slide is your choice... with a decent set of tires the hawk will give you plenty of warning...

It will get squirelly and wormy in the rear long before it breaks loose... And then... If you twist that little bit further it will reward you with a beautiful controlled slide... Altough the first few times it will feel scary as hell...

VTRsurfer 11-27-2008 12:09 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of torque. Glad you didn't loop it.

The power delivery is so linear that an experienced rider should have no problem having fun in the twisties. Even at 3,000 to 4,000 rpm you get decent drive out of corners.

There is a reason that all 4 Japanese manufacturers tried, then quit making Turbocharged bikes in the mid 80's....unexpected power rush coming out of corners.