SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   New member, VTR info (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/new-member-vtr-info-10964/)

Nu2thahawk 04-01-2007 02:04 PM

New member, VTR info

Hi everyone, Just bought a 98 superhawk, I had ridden a cbr 600 up until this bike (F2 92 model) so I think this should be quite a change. I already love the look of the bike and the sound and everything seems to be in working order on it. Had a little time to check out some of the forums and the kill switch has already gotten me....dammit why won't this thing start I turned the key on and choked it! Currently has 15000 miles on it and I paid 3500 cash so I am hoping I didn't do too bad. After turning the kill switch on it fires up, idles well and sounds great (though the neighbors might disagree) :) Wanted to check in and get a list of what you all thought were the most important things I should check at this mileage before getting into riding it this summer without doing anything other than change the oil and filter. Obvious things like brakes and fluids we can skip over as I have a decent amount of mechanical knowledge so I guess I am looking for superhawk specific items that should be checked or is there a specific forum where this has already all been covered.

Dave

drew_c14 04-01-2007 02:22 PM

Welcome. I can't think of anything other than general stuff like the tires, chain, fluid, etc. If you've got all that stuff covered than you should be alright. Most of all enjoy it!

johnnyhonda 04-01-2007 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nu2thahawk (Post 46581)
.Currently has 15000 miles on it

Dave

I remeber those days.

NovaWildcat08 04-01-2007 04:18 PM

Do a search for the famous Cam Chain Tensioner issue. Now that I think of it, I need to get around to installing my own...

Enjoy the bike man. My one year anniversary on the bike comes up next weekend and it's been a great year.

Randman 04-01-2007 06:12 PM

You may want to check out the right handed clutch fiber, that is prone to go out around 15-16K miles, it can be hell if you are riding at a fast speed...

the normal stuff sounds like you got...good luck, and enjoy!!

Nu2thahawk 04-01-2007 07:25 PM

thx for the info

Yah I got a service manual coming so I will dig into the tensioner issue and see what we have going on in that department. I appreciate the posts though. Been about three months since I have ridden so I am just itching to get out there especially since the weather has been so nice lately.

Thanks for the info,

RickB 04-02-2007 09:29 AM

Welcome aboard!

TommyboyinMI 04-02-2007 09:56 AM

I am in the same boat...98 with 21,000 miles. The fork seals were shot on mine so that offered the opportunity to upgrade the front suspension.
I also found a bunch of loose nuts and bolts all over the chassis. I would suggest changing the fork oil and checking for loose steering head bearings.
T

timdske 04-02-2007 05:24 PM

Welcome, You'll really enjoy the bike. I haven't had a bike that has been
this much fun.:cool:

Randman 04-02-2007 07:10 PM

wow, I just took a close look at the pic of your hawk, that thing looks like it was on display somewhere...Really nice...Someone did a good job putting it together...

NovaWildcat08 04-02-2007 07:46 PM

wow, that is indeed a gorgeous bike.

johnnyhonda 04-02-2007 07:53 PM

Hey man :thumbsup: :thumbsup: two thunbs up. That this is AWSOME!:headbang: It looks nothing like mine. Someone really loved that bike.

Nu2thahawk 04-05-2007 06:16 PM

bike pics

Definitely a step up from my cbr in the looks department. I got it from a lawyer who obviously had money to toss around. He used it mostly for hanging off in the corners so I think he layed it down at some point and had it repainted by the guy who paints the bikes for the corona team and a few others. Really did a professional job so I was stoked about that. My old cbr was the purple pink and black scheme (92 model) that had been a previous chick bike (but i got it on the cheap because it had sat so long and everything in the fuel system was glued) so I was shocked to see what a beauty she was. Finally got a short ride in the other day and was in love instantly. Gotta tighten up the chain though, has started to rub on the exhaust, someone reccomend me a good set of stands?

shayne 04-07-2007 10:59 AM

Looks good, I like it.

Hawkrider 04-07-2007 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nu2thahawk (Post 47218)
...someone reccomend me a good set of stands?

PitBull or Powerstands. You won't regret buying either. Remember, the VTR has no spools so take that into account when you buy.

SuperHawkins 04-07-2007 06:10 PM

Awesome....unlike most marriages, I think the superhawk lovin gets better by the week. ;)

Randman 04-07-2007 06:14 PM

Stands on Ebay, and didn't cost an arm and a leg....I'll check the site see if I can remember the seller...I think some other folks got theres on Ebay as well....

cag 05-11-2007 09:04 AM

so how is my baby doing.........

i miss her. here is a link to a calendar she is in. cover page too.

http://www.calendars.com/xq/asp/TID....qx/product.htm

i can't get the link above to work. you may have to type it in or go to the website www.calendars.com click on the "models" tab at the top. then click on "motorcycle models calendar". the calendar is the first one on the second page.

here is a link to the photographer's website.

http://www.adpix.biz/gallery.htm

man, i loved that bike. it was a blast to ride.

Hawkrider 05-11-2007 07:10 PM

Fixed link