General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New Forum Member & Owner of ‘98 SH

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 04:37 AM
Squid

EJamesJr is on a distinguished road
New Forum Member & Owner of ‘98 SH

Hello all. Bought a ‘98 Superhawk w 30k miles a few weeks ago and signed up here to join in on discussions and to take advantage of all the technical expertise available. The bike is cosmetically and mechanically sound with some modifications (Micron exhaust and jetting, pair removal w TBR block off plates, R/R upgrade, rear sets, signals). I have been voraciously reading all of the articles in the knowledge base to better understand the common issues w the bike. So much good information. I’ve already ordered the manual cct’s and am in the process of replacing all the fluids (brakes, clutch, coolant, oil) and plugs. I’m sure I will have questions as I go along. Looks like a good bunch of owners.

A little background: I’ve been riding for many years with all sport tourers for the last 12 ( three Yamaha FJR1300’s and a Concours 14). I’ve been fortunate to have traveled the entire PCH, the Dragon three times, USA coast-to-coast from NJ and back, Canada, and Switzerland. Earlier this year, I. realized that most of my recent riding is just local (<3hr). At 50+, I’ve lost the desire to do the longer trips. I sold my 2014 FJR and bought this bike, which I always liked. I’ve always done my own work on my bikes and wanted something fun that I could work on. So far, loving the decision.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:16 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Welcome E. I'm curious how you've taken to the much more aggressive riding position of the VTR compared to the previous bikes you've owned. The more I ride my other moto, the more I love the upright ergo's.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:56 AM
Squid

EJamesJr is on a distinguished road
The ergos of the sport tourers are much more upright and relaxed compared to the VTR. I had set those bikes up for long distance with aftermarket seats and risers. I’m pretty sure I couldn’t log the hours on the VTR that I logged on the FJR. I will need to take a few more rides to really see, but so far the riding position has been ok. Over the last two years, my riding is mostly running the backroads for a few hours in the morning to coffee and/or breakfast. For that, I think the VTR will be great.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:49 AM
Squid

john the red is on a distinguished road
Welcome! from another newer member/owner!