General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Superhawk <--> Yamaha TRX850 commentary

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 08:28 PM
Squid

exTRX850driver is on a distinguished road
Superhawk <--> Yamaha TRX850 commentary

A while ago I promised a VTR <--> Yamaha TRX850 comparison as I was getting off the long term latter for the former. Here it is in its potted glory.

Late model VTR on the left, 1998 TRX on the other

6spd - 5spd
90 degree, different cam size twin - 270 degree crank parallel twin
150cc more @1liter - 850cc
Side radiators - Front radiator
Flat bar exposed trellis frame - Round frame bars, more exposed
Headlight in fairing - Small headlight in fairing (made it look like it suffered from a condition (Ducati used a more bulbous head))
Forks N Brakes, not much in it after tweaks are made. Very similar design and geometry.
Analog & digital gauges - Analog only
Small switch gear for gloved hands - Bigger switch gear for gloved hands
Runs hot - Ran cooler
Final chain drive on both
Big Dellortos mean frequent gas visits - Less frequent gas visits
Heavier - Lighter (not by a lot)
Clip on bars - Same, but the TRXs angle was slightly more comfortable
Yes choke it - Rarely wanted choking, just caught
Fuel meter and Trip meters - Odometer only
Speedo & Tacho with 60 --> 100 at 6 o'clock - Same Nos. were more visible
Hydraulic clutch lever - Cable clutch activation (by comparison it seems ancient in design)
Immense stump pulling mill - Just before I sold the TRX I found out the ignition map was emissions retarded and an aftermarket block was available that would have smoothed it out more. Faark.
Throaty, fuel destroying, fearsome unit - Flickable, snapping thing

+++++++++++

I do notice less efficient switch gear when it comes to cold gloved hand use on the VTR compared to the TRX. Indicator and kill switch especially. But 'you' get used to anything.

Seating is very similar but for me a slight wrist discomfort on the VTR. Improbable 2 millimeter twist of the bars in one direction will probably fix it.

VTR is noticeably heavier but only by comparison. As you probably know in itself it isn't a heavy bike.

VTR has been quick to get on the fans at over 103 degrees celcius whereas the front radiator on the TRX was likely more efficient than the VTRs two side radiators. TRX rarely had to light up the fan. VTR wont change so have to suck eggs there. Will keep an eye on coolant quality over time...

VTR - Doing the HISS transponder key mumbo as it came with one key! Keeping an eye out for a pristine red seat cowl too.

Aftermarket pipes are helping a lot on the Honda. Maybe running lighter, cooler and louder now? Louder definitely, praise allah.

Both great. TRX is gone, 40,000 miles in front of me on the VTR, so it will have to do.

Videos here. No unseemly revving of course: