General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New to the Form - M GYMKHANA® Los Angeles, CA

Old 07-31-2013, 03:32 PM
Squid

Jbush is on a distinguished road
New to the Form - M GYMKHANA® Los Angeles, CA

Hello everybody,

I'm James, the President/founder of M Gymkhana (Southern California - Los Angeles Area). Just picked up a VTR996 that I'm using for my competition and I'm for sure going to be all over the site asking questions about mods that have been done, etc...

We've got a M Gymkhana special 2hour practice session taking place this Sat. 1300-1500hrs in Burbank, CA. Address will be posted on the websites Tues. July 30th by 1500hrs. This is a special short practice session in preperation for the 1st official Aug. 24th MGX Day Session/M Gymkhana Experience Day. Still working on Bert's Megamall site as well, but will updated you all when we get confirmation.

http://m-gymkhana.com/2013/07/30/special-m-gymkhana-practiceskills-day-aug-3rd/

We're having our first official event of the 2013 M Gymkhana Campaign August 24th. We've been struggling to find a new location since we cut ties with the Burbank Airport last year, but we've finally found one centrally located in the Los Angeles Area. In the meantime I'm trying to find a few smaller locations to have MGX Day Sessions (mini promo days) so guys can come out and give M Gymkhana a try. We are co-promoting it with the M.S.F. which is cutting down the cost of the facitliy rental. (what ever helps) They will have a portion of the lot we're using but we will have enough room for our three course set-up. If/when you get a chance check our our website/like us on facebook/follow us on twitter (the more folks we have onboard, the better).

http://m-gymkhana.com
Old 07-31-2013, 03:58 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Welcome

Sounds great,, and as the spam is motorcycle related........ I suppose it's somewhat relevant.. More so as you have a VTR1000..

Would love to see you and it in a pic.. sooner the better.. we love pictures of VTR's.. Have you added your sponsorship wrap or decals to it? planning on painting in company colors?

The VTR is kind of a pig (around here a well loved pig).. how did you come to choose it as your competition machine?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:11 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
it looks like a grass-roots style competition where the use of race machinery is prohibited:

http://jbiitester.files.wordpress.co...-gymkhana2.pdf
Old 07-31-2013, 04:24 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by blamecanada
it looks like a grass-roots style competition where the use of race machinery is prohibited:

http://jbiitester.files.wordpress.co...-gymkhana2.pdf
All good stuff..
But still a VTR? not a bike known for it's handling like seen in GYMKHANA comps i've seen on Youtube.

Still interested to see the OP with his VTR, and later, that VTR in action on the course. Have to think the infamous VTR clutch bounce/chatter will be an issue.. based on the multiple "launches" I just watched on the vids at the M GYMKHANA site.

I mean, cops do that stuff on full dress law enforcement bikes...so sure a VTR can be used... why not...... But still interested in hearing WHY the VTR..

Last edited by E.Marquez; 07-31-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:28 PM
SuperSport

sailorjerry is on a distinguished road
Eric, if you check out the website his bike is in the pictures toward the bottom of the page. Also his old bike is a TLS so he must have a twin obsession. But then again, don't we all. (Pun intended)

Last edited by sailorjerry; 07-31-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:29 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by sailorjerry
Eric, if you check out the website his bike is in the pictures toward the bottom of the page.
Cool Ill go look again,, I went and read some and watched a few videos..

Thanks

EDIT... Found it (I was looking on the page he had linked to, not the main page)

http://m-gymkhana.com/2013/06/17/new...e-ready-to-go/

Last edited by E.Marquez; 07-31-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:38 PM
Superstock

anyone thinking of hitting this event?

I am local and am thinking of coming out with the Mille
Old 07-31-2013, 05:20 PM
Squid

zanoj883 is on a distinguished road
Cant go this weekend but they have another event on August 24th, that falls on my vacation. pry will hit it up then
Old 07-31-2013, 07:01 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Hopey is on a distinguished road
Maybe it's the VTR's dieselesque power !
Old 07-31-2013, 08:29 PM
SuperSport

I'm not going to lie, I just watched a video and I guess I expected a lot more wheel spin and drift action, not parking lot traffic wars..... Just my thoughts.

Last edited by sailorjerry; 08-01-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Squid

I originally wanted to repair my TLS but just didn't have the time to get it prepped in the way that I wanted. So I started looking for an affordable twin (like you said, we have "twin's obsession") and saw a 650 GT Hawk (which was one of my first motorcycles - twin of course). When I saw the VTR I thought, "okay, Honda made this the year after my 97 TLS, biggest carbs Honda has ever put on a bike, I don't really have to put a lot of work into it, already has the bars that I need, better low down grunt than my TLS... I'll get it". We'll really see how it does this Sat. in the practice and I'll see what I'd need to do to it to improve it.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Superstock

Jbush I have an extra set of wheels and some other misc parts, if you see a Mille at the event this weekend come say hello, I imagine I will be the only one with that bike there if I can go
Old 08-01-2013, 10:34 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Kudos to James for making a street fighter VTR his choice for a gymkhana. It's a brave move.
Based on what the Japanese use, the ideal bike is light and low with standard bars, a upright riding position, short gearing, excellent ground clearance, smooth throttle response, a lot of steering lock and a short wheelbase. A stock VTR has some of those characteristics but not enough of them.
I'd be happy if I could ride my VTR in a gymkhana layout without putting a foot down. I can't do a 360 degree turn at full lock. I can't do a 180 degree turn within two parking spaces. I usually use about 2 1/2 spaces. I don't lean the bike much at speeds less than 8 kph nor do I shift my weight to the outside to do a tight low speed 180 degree turn as some suggest. If it goes over, I don't have enough steering lock left to lift the bike and I'm not going to be able to save it with a foot down and upper body strength. I'd be testing the frame sliders.
I'm looking forward to seeing the video.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Squid

It's not to bad of a platform, I'm 6'4 195lbs so it carries my weight/size well. Any little 2-stroke would be too small for me anyway. But I've got a few mods to make (rear sprocket, rearsets, etc..) to get it exactly where I want it, but in the meantime she's not too bad. She's got enough lock, it's just a matter of trusting the tires to put it on it's side from lock-to-lock.

She is a little jerky down low, but once I change the rear sprocket she'll be higher up in the rev range that the little low rpm stumbles will be non-existent. I'll make sure to get pleanty of video and pics from this Saturday's event.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:32 PM
SuperSport

For rear sets I will mention Danmoto, they just released the superhawk sets. Fully adjustable made from billet alum, $130 plus shipping.