General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Need advice on '98 SuperHawk

Old 10-15-2017, 08:28 PM
Squid

birdman99 is on a distinguished road
Need advice on '98 SuperHawk

Ok folks, I'm looking at a 1998 SHawk with 45,000 miles, great shape, (owner says its a 9 or 10 on a 1-10 scale and adds "it looks like it's new.") has aftermarket farkles that include a Micron exhaust, Sargent saddle, double bubble windscreen, tail tidy and turn signal mods. Also recent new chain and sprockets. The current owner has no service history. No knowledge of cam chain or RR fixes. Apparently 3rd owner. Just says it runs great, has had it since April '17, and has had no issues. He (she?) said they 'bought another bike, a Harley.'

Listed price is $2,000.

So,
a) do I make the two-hour trip? Assuming (on a SuperHawk Forum) yes....
b) what is this bike worth?
Old 10-16-2017, 12:33 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Price depends on a few things even if the bike's owner is a OCD polisher which can knock £$£$ off when haggling - condition of service items i.e. tyres, air filter, valve clearances, brakes (pads & disks). Also check under the rubber hood on the starter motor for corrosion on the terminal bolt and ask when the rear shock/swingarm linkage bearings were last greased / serviced.

Plus if the R/R is an original self-cooking unfinned part and on original OEM CCTs as you've done your research on their inherant falibility.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:43 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Before I drove 2 hours I'd want to see some comprehensive pics. If you could share them here, we could better judge it's worth.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:58 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
I say go look at it. You will know what to do at that point. What's 2hrs in the grand scheme?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:25 AM
Squid

Bville-Bud is on a distinguished road
Are you friends with anyone who is local to the bike? Maybe someone on the fourm (this one or another) could help you out with a look-see before you spend the hours.

I had a similar situation a few months ago and would love to have those hours back.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:34 PM
Back Marker

AlanS is on a distinguished road
I'd check overall for rust; verify the things others have mentioned, e.g., manual CCTs, finned R/R, etc.

At that mileage for $2K it would be a decent price here in Cali. if it was in great, clean shape. Up in Minnesota, not sure about the relative cost of bikes compared to California. If it's as described I don't believe it's overpriced by any means. But I wouldn't pay any more than $2K, and would be looking to whittle that down commensurate with the state of the aforementioned things. For whatever reasons, these bikes don't generally bring top dollar compared to more popular rides.

Alan