SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Need advice (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/need-advice-33593/)

train in vain 10-24-2015 05:36 PM

Need advice

New to forum , will be shopping for a Super in a few months, What are best years, questions to ask sellers, common problems w/ bike . Average miles and prices, Anything else i should know when looking? I heard about the timing chain tensioner conversion to manual, anything else ? Thanks for the in-put in advance..............

Wolverine 10-24-2015 07:25 PM

Year isn't so important as general condition and mileage. cct's and r/r are the main 2, later being a very easy fix.
Questions to ask seller... The typical banter, how long has it sat without being started, kept in heated garage or outside, what kind of general maint was done... are good places to start.

Is this your first motorcycle?

CrankenFine 10-25-2015 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 391466)
Is this your first motorcycle?

Sure hope not ;)

tbartley 10-28-2015 02:31 PM

IIRC, when I bought my '01, it had about 33K on it. It was a Cali bike that found its way to KY and it's still here somewhere and running strong. As stated above...ask the questions and good luck.

AndyMX47 10-29-2015 11:05 AM

How often was the oil changed? Have the valves been adjusted/checked? What is the age and condition of the tires, chain and sprockets, and brakes?

What modifications are done? Air filter and Jetting often create problems or issues.

Stiffer fork springs, an aftermarket shock, and sargent or corbin seat are great additions.

Price point seems to be about $3,000 or less, unless the bike is very low miles and perfect.

train in vain 10-30-2015 09:34 PM

Thanks to all responding for the advice. If any member plans on selling their Hawk or knows of one for sale at income tax time, { Feb. or later } shoot me an e-mail. I'm in northern R.I. @ the Mass. border. 50 mile radius would be best.....Thanks again......................................

OldGuy 11-06-2015 01:35 PM

Steering head bearings: Typically wear out somewhere between 25 - 50,000 km (15 - 30,000 miles).

Brake & clutch fluid: Should be replaced every 2 years.

Engine coolant: Should be replaced every 2 years.

train in vain 11-07-2015 02:53 PM

Thanks for in-put old guy, I am older also , but haven't reached the big " 60 " yet. I was looking at the mods you listed for your bike, and am familiar w/ all except " dis-abled " P.A.I.R. " What is this ? Thanks..............

Wicky 11-08-2015 05:03 AM

Honda PAIR system is an emissions limiting hardware set-up.

Originally Posted by train in vain (Post 391751)
Thanks for in-put old guy, I am older also , but haven't reached the big " 60 " yet. I was looking at the mods you listed for your bike, and am familiar w/ all except " dis-abled " P.A.I.R. " What is this ? Thanks..............