SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   My Sons first road crash (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/my-sons-first-road-crash-23970/)

NooB 10-19-2010 10:36 AM

I don't know exactly what they use for the totaled value, but recently I was rearended on my hawk and the totaled value was $1900. The insurance adjuster guy was a nice BMW rider and helped us get right up to the totaled value. They ended up paying me $1875 for a bent up left side Leo Vince muffler. :banana: If you're patient you can rebuild that bike for half of what they give you. Just scour the classifieds here and on eBay. Good luck.

joe6pack 10-19-2010 11:44 AM

Manadatory insurance = government sanctioned extortion. I hate paying those bastards!

georgedombeck 10-20-2010 05:55 PM

Holy crap , Honda dealer says $3500 to fix everything, keep in mind they will replace every little thing. The local bodyshop will repaint the whole bike for $800, I will still have to buy a new screen and handlebars. Not sure if I should submit both estimates or both and one of my own using used parts. ?? george

poppazuti 10-20-2010 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by georgedombeck (Post 284767)
Holy crap , Honda dealer says $3500 to fix everything, keep in mind they will replace every little thing. The local bodyshop will repaint the whole bike for $800, I will still have to buy a new screen and handlebars. Not sure if I should submit both estimates or both and one of my own using used parts. ?? george

In my experience (wrecked Sept. '09) the insurance will only take the quote from a dealership. I'm assuming this is motorcycle specific as most body shops wouldn't be able to get factory prices on replacement fairings. The service manager at the shop I went to walked through the process with me and told me what items we would want to leave off to avoid having it totalled (mostly cosmetic stuff, things slightly scuffed). I would suggest asking the dealership if that's an option for you before it's submitted.

Just_Nick 10-20-2010 08:44 PM

Why not just buy a second VTR, trade everything over, and let them total it?

PHxS 10-20-2010 10:58 PM

Insurance companies will accept quotes from places other than a dealership. I know this because I work at a small independent bike shop and I have done many estimates and fixed a few bikes under insurance. I've always worked with customers and the insurance reps on keeping the bikes on the road.

Good luck
Ryan B.

Wicky 10-21-2010 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by poppazuti (Post 284784)
....The service manager at the shop I went to walked through the process with me and told me what items we would want to leave off to avoid having it totalled (mostly cosmetic stuff, things slightly scuffed). I would suggest asking the dealership if that's an option for you before it's submitted.

+1

Not sure if it's applicable in the US but here in the UK, on top of the garage estimate quote, insurance companies also send an appointed engineer to check the bike in person. They can be amenable to keeping the damage estimate below the write-off threshold.

poppazuti 10-21-2010 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Wicky (Post 284799)
+1

Not sure if it's applicable in the US but here in the UK, on top of the garage estimate quote, insurance companies also send an appointed engineer to check the bike in person. They can be amenable to keeping the damage estimate below the write-off threshold.

Pretty much the same in the states. The dealership submits the estimate to the insurance and they in turn send a claims adjustor to check the validity of the claim. I assume the adjustors don't have much experience with bikes, in most cases, and will agree with whatever the dealership says.

georgedombeck 10-21-2010 04:26 PM

I am getting $1600 more than enough to fix my bike and Andrew gets his helmet replaced. No totaling of the bike, no salvage title. g