SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   my new toy (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/my-new-toy-20985/)

Moehawk005 12-11-2009 11:17 AM

my new toy

hello my peeps
i recently got a superhawk (98)
and man im loving it. i had r6 b4 but is so much nice to grow into a bike then grow out of it.
i just order a new set of Avonsp2 tires.
wehat type of pipes do you guys recomend???
andf do any of you have use those juice boxes wt oyur hawks???
drop me a line your new fellow rider in norcal

uchi 12-11-2009 11:45 AM

What's a juice box?

As for pipes everyone has their own personal preference. Each pipe has a sound that someone like. I've got shortened and modded jardines and they're loud and have a growl all of their own. Leo vince pipes seem popular on here

thefauxnarchist 12-11-2009 11:48 AM

hey, welcome

1) tires, what kind of riding do you do? im partial for bt016's for the street (nvm i saw you just ordered a set)
2) juice box? as in a FI controller like a powercommander? can't, these bikes are carb'd :-\ you COULD look into rejetting, but there's almost no point (that i can think of) that would make it worth it for a bike that doesn't have a ton of work in it
3) exhaust, jardines are a good value, if you want to step up to better quality my vote goes to leo vince, VERY good build quality for a reasonable price point (for a premium brand at least). i have yoshimuras on mine, theyre fine, don't sound the best (i have a set of baffled cans that came with the bike) if money is no problem then you might look into akrapovic (that's pronounced uh-crop-oh-vitch) (actually im not sure if they make exhaust for the superhawks)

last point i might mention, spend the money on suspension and brakes, WELL worth it
suspension: either a fork swap (pretty extensive work) with 929/954 triples and 929/954/rc51 fork legs
-or-
the jamie daugherty treatment, new springs and valving in the front with a modded f4i shock in rear (or spend a little more money for a penske/ohlins), possibly a fork brace too

brakes:
non radial gsxr 4 and 6 pots bolt right up (2000-2003 models i believe), be sure to use the master cylinder as well
-or-
f4i/rc51 calipers with an accompanying master cylinder (will have to grind off the tabs though...)

as always, refer to the documentation for specifics on the mods :]

uchi 12-11-2009 11:55 AM

What year was your r6?

And a Jet kit is needed once you swap pipes. Otherwise you're gonna turn those screws all the way out and hope you get enough fuel. Also look into ditching the pair system and if your bike has over 15k on it time to look into some manual cam chain tensioners as they tend to randomly let go.

divingindaytona 12-11-2009 12:01 PM

The only juce box that I know about is called 'capri sun".

As for pipes its a personal decision, do a search on here and youtube, there is many sound clips. See what sounds good to you.

Welcome

ttocsmai 12-11-2009 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by divingindaytona (Post 246287)
The only juce box that I know about is called 'capri sun".

Welcome

Juicy juice also

Moehawk005 12-11-2009 01:10 PM

the r6 was an 03

Originally Posted by uchi (Post 246285)
What year was your r6?

And a Jet kit is needed once you swap pipes. Otherwise you're gonna turn those screws all the way out and hope you get enough fuel. Also look into ditching the pair system and if your bike has over 15k on it time to look into some manual cam chain tensioners as they tend to randomly let go.

it was an 03

Moehawk005 12-11-2009 01:15 PM

thanx guys

is call a power comand center or knowed as a juicebox,
i know that if i want to use that pipes are required
also thanx 4 the tip on suspensions
i am an agrassive driver mostly street and freeway.
on the spring here in my area the have a track course open (infenion)
so im really want to get that opportunity 2 try that.

finepooch 12-11-2009 01:34 PM

welcome! i hope you enjoy your hawk.

my bike is very lean on low rpm. i'm going to get it corrected someday. i rarely ride the hawk so it's not a panic situation.

pipe? get one!

peterpanic 12-11-2009 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by uchi (Post 246282)
What's a juice box?

If I recall correctly, rides on back and hangs on tight when you're having a really great day!

thefauxnarchist 12-11-2009 08:18 PM

most DEFINITELY ride infineon as soon as you get the chance! i hear only great things about that track, some even argue its a better track than laguna seca to ride (unless you're a motogp rider that requires miles of run off or something...)

i dont know if the general consensus has changed with the forum, but a few years ago, most said a rejet wasn't really necessary with a slip on system. full system+built motor is a whole notha story. perhaps my information is a little out dated :]

Kators 12-11-2009 10:10 PM

Welcome! I got the same year and really want two brothers pipes but that's just me.

divingindaytona 12-12-2009 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Moehawk005 (Post 246315)
is call a power comand center or knowed as a juicebox,
i know that if i want to use that pipes are required

The shawk uses carbs, its not fuel injected. So a power commander would do nothing for it, sense power commanders effect fuel injection systems.

To alter carbs look into jet kits, factory and dynojet both make a kit. Do a search on the forum and you will find out a ton of information on these, and tuning these.

AngryOlaf 12-12-2009 11:47 AM

Welcome! And congrats on the bike.

Red_Liner740 12-12-2009 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by thefauxnarchist (Post 246382)
most DEFINITELY ride infineon as soon as you get the chance! i hear only great things about that track, some even argue its a better track than laguna seca to ride (unless you're a motogp rider that requires miles of run off or something...)

i dont know if the general consensus has changed with the forum, but a few years ago, most said a rejet wasn't really necessary with a slip on system. full system+built motor is a whole notha story. perhaps my information is a little out dated :]

i was REALLY lean with shortened Yoshis on it....the whole stuttering, back firing etc assossiated with lean condition...

Jet Kit fixed that...on FI's the stock ECU can adjust enough for pipes withou needing for a reflash or power commander.

Moehawk005 12-12-2009 04:14 PM

i was lookin to get a pair too
but i leanin on a pair of jardines after all is the pipe of honda america

8541Hawk 12-12-2009 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Moehawk005 (Post 246483)
i was lookin to get a pair too
but i leanin on a pair of jardines after all is the pipe of honda america

True but just remember the stuff they race is a bit different than what they sell for the street.