SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   My first Superhawk... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/my-first-superhawk-28669/)

Tebs 06-29-2012 06:54 AM

My first Superhawk...

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks to all the forum members for your awesome posts and advice - you really armed me with a great deal of knowledge of what to look for when purchasing my first SH. I picked up this 98 SH with 14,400 miles (now 14,850) 3 weeks ago for $2600. New D&D, new Diablo Corsa (2 inch chicken strips included) but she needs manual CCTs, PAIR removal (runs perfectly though) and R/R. Hopefully I uploaded the pic correctly - fingers crossed - I'm a squid remember!!

matt365 06-29-2012 07:40 AM

Looks good, those D&Ds must be LOUD...

Almost looks like those cruiser style grips with the plastic fake-o chrome ends? If it was me, those would be coming off.

Looks clean, great price, low mileage/unmolested bike.

Good job!

Tebs 06-29-2012 07:55 AM

Thanks! The guy I purchased the bike from was an engineer (I knew he took good care of it) and he was originally asking $3500. After educating myself here on the forum I was able to point out to him the bike needs manual CCT's (just got them yesterday), a R/R upgrade, PAIR removal and some other small upgrades. He wasnt insulted at all, and when I whipped out the $2600 cash wad and said "thats all I've got to spend" he quickly replied "SOLD".

Also, he installed metal baffles in the exhaust because he said it was "too loud". I thought she was too quiet so the next day I removed them and WOW - angels are singing in my neighborhood! Baffles for sale anyone?? :D

matt365 06-29-2012 08:22 AM

I'd leave the jetting stock (I'm in the process of removing a dynojet kit from mine and going back to stock, or as close as I can get to it.)
The CCT swap isn't that bad. It's a little unnerving compared to working on an I4. Alot of hawk owners wind up jumping it out of time and bending valves, so just follow the swap procedure in the knowledge base, and take it slow.

Tebs 06-29-2012 11:51 AM

Thanks again Matt...

Originally Posted by matt365 (Post 336681)
I'd leave the jetting stock (I'm in the process of removing a dynojet kit from mine and going back to stock, or as close as I can get to it.)
The CCT swap isn't that bad. It's a little unnerving compared to working on an I4. Alot of hawk owners wind up jumping it out of time and bending valves, so just follow the swap procedure in the knowledge base, and take it slow.

Yeah I've read just to keep the jets stock (even w/ the D& D exhaust) and she'll run just fine - maybe a little rich but better rich than lean. I've reread the CCT forum procedure several times and printed out the instructions as well and gaining confidence - although slowly but may tackle the job this weekend or next. Thanks again - you're all good people on this forum and I appreciate it !!!

7moore7 06-29-2012 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tebs (Post 336677)
Baffles for sale anyone?? :D

Keep them in case you want to track it for any reason or turn the bike into a sleeper!

maniac2313 06-29-2012 12:34 PM

Tebs my man pots and pans nice hawk!! You still have my cell if you have questions i know a good bit (nowhere near all) but for a quick answer feel free to call!! I like the black d&d pipes mine are polished love the sound but i may get the blacks they look better imho...

maniac2313 06-29-2012 12:37 PM

Btw read hawks write up on the carb set up... its a sticky in the technical section I believe very good write up!

Tebs 06-29-2012 03:05 PM

Thanks...

Yeah I love these D&D cans - especially after removing the baffles. On my way to bike night this past Tuesday I actually got a thumbs up from one of the Harley guys in the next lane. Dang I like this bike!!

1971allchaos 06-29-2012 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tebs (Post 336713)
love these D&D cans -
""" I actually got a thumbs up from one of the Harley guys in the next lane. """!

Not sure that is a compliment:rolleyes:..

Grads on the new love, the V-twin... there just not the same as a tractor(harley)..