SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   mid-pipe cover (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/mid-pipe-cover-10482/)

andyeis 02-04-2007 04:00 PM

mid-pipe cover

I just melted the sole of my work boots on the mid-pipes of my new Jardine exhaust. Any suggestions for how to cover this up? Header wrap would work but is not aesthetically pleasing, mounting a plate with standoffs would likely require welding on the standoffs, any other suggestions?

Birdoprey 02-04-2007 07:55 PM

I'll buy you a new pair of boots and you can send me that pesky exhaust system.

captainchaos 02-04-2007 08:48 PM

They make clamp on heat shields that would be easy enough-look in the exhaust section of any of the major catalogs like Chaparral, etc. Cobra for instance makes a pair for only 15.99. Please don't cover those nice new chrome pipes with wrap! The mess is easy enough to clean off. The best way is to heat up the pipes real well first (do it after a ride) and then clean it with some Mother's, etc when the midpipes are still hot. Be sure to wad the towel up enough (or wear some gloves) so you don't burn yourself! It's MUCH easier than doing it when it's cold and you won't scratch the chrome (I'm assuming they're chrome, although some Jardines aren't).

3D02 02-05-2007 03:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Like this. Chaparral sells some with holes. These I got from JC Whitney. Not the best looking but serve their purpose.

Attachment 31645

Attachment 31646
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...0-0003_IMG.jpg

Thumper 02-05-2007 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by andyeis (Post 41057)
I just melted the sole of my work boots on the mid-pipes of my new Jardine exhaust. Any suggestions for how to cover this up? Header wrap would work but is not aesthetically pleasing, mounting a plate with standoffs would likely require welding on the standoffs, any other suggestions?

Don't feel bad you are not the first one to have that happen on the round Jardine highmounts; luckily they fixed that problem on the latter designeded oval Jardine highmounts by running the pipes a little further back.

superbling 02-05-2007 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by andyeis (Post 41057)
Any suggestions for how to cover this up?

By far the easiest route is to remove them and box them up. Contact me after you do that for a shipping address. No need to thank me, it's the least I could do. ;-)

shayne 02-06-2007 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 41075)
They make clamp on heat shields that would be easy enough-look in the exhaust section of any of the major catalogs like Chaparral, etc. Cobra for instance makes a pair for only 15.99.

I thought this was a great idea, but I haven't found anything that would be ok on the VTR. I have spent ages looking, so maybe I am looking in the wrong places. I am no search guru, but I thought I would find something.

Any chance you could provide me with a link?

Please!!!!

captainchaos 02-06-2007 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by shayne (Post 41173)
I thought this was a great idea, but I haven't found anything that would be ok on the VTR. I have spent ages looking, so maybe I am looking in the wrong places. I am no search guru, but I thought I would find something.

Any chance you could provide me with a link?

Please!!!!

Hey Shayne, I'm sure there are others but try chaparral-racing.com. In the upper left corner there's a "search" field and just type in "Cobra universal heat shield."

Lefin102 02-06-2007 05:26 AM

Targa also sells heat shields.

shayne 02-06-2007 01:42 PM

I tried Chaparral but found nothing. I shall try using your search description.

Cheers,
Shayne

captainchaos 02-06-2007 02:18 PM

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chap...8D10279A9848E5

andyeis 02-06-2007 05:47 PM

Free Jardine Exhaust...j/k

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think the $16 clamp-ons are a great temporary solution to save my shoes. I'll fab something up later this summer when I get back home in Wyoming.
The oval high mounts I got have brushed stainless mid-pips. I think the new rubber coating will come off pretty easy after my next long ride...

andyeis 02-06-2007 05:58 PM

Here's a heat shield on DK $$$

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...d=40308&mmyId=

discojuggernaut 04-01-2007 02:47 PM

I got Jardine hi mounts too and am looking for the same solution. Stuck between the Samson 4" and the Cobra 6". Anyone tried both and find one length better than the other? And are the diameter of the header pipes 1 3/4 or 2"?

HRCVTR1000 04-01-2007 04:03 PM

Here ya go Shayne . http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...d=40308&mmyId= I think this is what your looking for !

kfkraenz 10-09-2008 11:07 AM

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I got the Jardine High-mounts because I was melting the bottom of my boots with the stock exhaust. I just did my first track day with the Jardines and I melted all the way thru the sides of my boots. Now I got a gooey mess to clean up and I am looking at the Cobra shild or the Targa shield. What results has anyone seen with either of these? Do they work? Which one is at reducing heat?

Also, since I need a new pair of boots, what should I look for in somehting that won't melt???

The pair of boots I had was made by Nitro. They were cheap (~$100). Would all boots melt, or if I had better boots could I have avioded this while hassle???

Thanks for the help...

-Karl

armyguy8381 10-09-2008 11:31 AM

Two Brothers

I find this funny. I have a Two brothers Hi mount system and do track days from time to time. I also street ride quite the bit. I have very rarely ever had the boot or shoe melting problem at all. Must be the Jadines.

CentralCoaster 10-09-2008 11:56 AM

I've been able to remove melted stuff from chrome pipes with synthetic steel wool and lots of elbow grease. It will never look as good as new, but it can be cleaned somewhat.

kfkraenz 10-09-2008 11:57 AM

... or it could be the size 14 boots....

armyguy8381 10-09-2008 01:36 PM

Two brothers

Another good way to get them cleaned is tame them off the bike and pollish them on a buffing wheel. Or while they are still hot Castol Supper clean and a rag with some elbow grease work great. And a size 14. Holly crap man you water ski on those too? I mean my god them are some big feet. I bet your foot draggs before the peg. LOL All jokes aside now and I hope i didn't hurt anyones feelings but all that mess comes off pretty easy with a buffing wheel. And better yet no scratches. But that's just my .02 worth.

captainchaos 10-09-2008 03:10 PM

If you try to remove shoe gunk while it's cold it's hard as a rock...if you do it when the pipes are hot it's soft and comes off much easier with less risk of scratching the mids. If the mids are chrome they don't "polish." You can clean any crap (the shoe gunk, grease, surface rust) off the surface but you can't "polish" chrome. Once they're scratched they're scratched. Chrome is a coating...Stainless midpipes and aluminum cans are a raw surface and will "polish" over and over-you can wetsand and remove scratches. You can't do that with chrome. Steel wool will scratch chrome and make it look dull. Heat the pipes up, wad up a towel and use some mothers. Cobra also recommends easy-off oven cleaner. Spray, let it sit awhile/overnight, and wipe off...done.

filter69 10-10-2008 09:59 PM

Well i guess i wont be getting any jardine high mounts ever since i wear a size 14 and there's no way im gonna get my clown shoes in the cramped space ....