SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Massive exhaust failure (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/massive-exhaust-failure-33532/)

Meier Link 09-22-2015 07:16 PM

Massive exhaust failure

Ok so today I was leaving work and decided to have some fun with a 750 suzuki. I was playing with him as we got on the highway I let him gain a few car lengths while pacing before dropping gear and actually getting on it to play cat and mouse with him.

Hit the accelerator hard and heard a pop and the bike got A LOT louder. Instantly shut the bike down.

When I redid the exhaust the one thing I didn't change was the #6 sleeves (part number 18392-MG7-750 I believe) because they were still fairly new from the previous owner.

After pulling the exhaust/ header back apart I found that the one coming off the rear cylinder failed and injested it's self into my pipe.

Temp fix until the new sleeves come in was aluminum tape with a small bead of gasket maker. The leak is now temp sealed up.

Point of the story: I looked like a fool as a 750 stroked me over a cheap part and this is my "noob mistake" of the week. Hahaha

killer5280 09-22-2015 08:37 PM

What kind of Suzuki 750?
Any GSX-R 750 since about 1996 will absolutely smoke a Superhawk.

thedeatons 09-22-2015 08:59 PM

Not true. I lead my friend through an 1/8th mile. He is on a 2004 gsxr750 with Micron and PC. My gearing is supershort though :)

I also trounced a well modded cbr600rr in about a 1/4 mile. Left him for dead at the top end of 2nd.

These superhawks sure are fun... :)

captainchaos 09-22-2015 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by thedeatons (Post 390737)
Not true. I lead my friend through an 1/8th mile. He is on a 2004 gsxr750 with Micron and PC. My gearing is supershort though :)

I also trounced a well modded cbr600rr in about a 1/4 mile. Left him for dead at the top end of 2nd.

These superhawks sure are fun... :)

I love my superhawks guys but as was said any gsxr750 from '96 onwards is considerably lighter and quite a bit more powerful than a superhawk. The only performance category a superhawk would win is a top gear roll on... If a superhawk is pulling on a gsxr750 then the gsxr needs a new rider or it needs repair ;) Equal riders and it's not even close.

CruxGNZ 09-22-2015 09:55 PM

You talkin' about the lead type gaskets for the stock exhaust? If so, I have a couple that I dont need anymore.

Meier Link 09-23-2015 04:48 AM

Yes it was a gsx-r but the rider is new to motorcycles. So new in fact that he uses the clutch to shift instead of sweet spotting it.

Crux are they lead? What I pulled off looked to be graphite based mesh.

VTR1000F 09-23-2015 06:42 AM

Shifting without the clutch will blow out your exhaust gaskets due to excessive loading of the endline rotary girder.

killer5280 09-23-2015 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Meier Link (Post 390745)
Yes it was a gsx-r but the rider is new to motorcycles. So new in fact that he uses the clutch to shift instead of sweet spotting it.

No matter how he shifts his GSXR will run away and hide from the VTR.

You have been warned about the endline rotary girder.

Meier Link 09-23-2015 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by killer5280 (Post 390748)

You have been warned about the endline rotary girder.

I will have to drop the bike off the Callahan breaks and have Tommy take a look at it next time I need doc to recharge my Flux capictor.

And it's easy to keep up with a rider that's scared to open his throttle during 5 o'clock traffic no matter what bike he is on.

CruxGNZ 09-23-2015 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Meier Link (Post 390745)

I checked the part # you posted, and we are talking about the same part. I have two or three of them. I still have your address if you would like me to send them out to ya.

Meier Link 09-23-2015 11:05 AM

PM'D you. Thanks once again.

ren 09-23-2015 01:20 PM

I had to replace mine a few weeks ago (when the previous owners method of using a gasket sealant in place of the required piece failed after almost 2+ years having the bike myself)

Luckily being in Los Angeles, there were multiple dealers that had it in stock locally so I was able to get some that day

Hangfly 09-24-2015 10:41 AM

"Hit the accelerator hard and heard a pop and the bike got A LOT louder. Instantly shut the bike down. "

I have heard these bikes have "carb farts" , but what is this ?

ren 09-24-2015 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hangfly (Post 390795)
"Hit the accelerator hard and heard a pop and the bike got A LOT louder. Instantly shut the bike down. "

I have heard these bikes have "carb farts" , but what is this ?

I can't speak for him, but in my situation I guess the previous owner had gotten the exhaust connection to "seal" using high temp copper gasket maker. Riding along and then suddenly my exhaust sounds MUCH louder and I realized I had a leak

Funny enough I had the camera running and you can hopefully hear the sound difference, I noticed instantly, it is right after I make the left turn after waiting awhile

Meier Link 09-24-2015 10:54 AM

Wasn't a carb fart. Literally the pipe popped off the rear jugs header pipe where it ties back into the main pipe to the exhausts. The seal there shelled itself out and allowed it to drop. After that I shut the bike down.

CrankenFine 09-24-2015 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Meier Link (Post 390799)
Wasn't a carb fart. Literally the pipe popped off the rear jugs header pipe where it ties back into the main pipe to the exhausts. The seal there shelled itself out and allowed it to drop. After that I shut the bike down.

Clamp could not have been secure or the gasket was extremely damaged to begin with. This gasket is captive in the pipe under pressure from the clamp.

Meier Link 09-24-2015 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by CrankenFine (Post 390802)
Clamp could not have been secure or the gasket was extremely damaged to begin with. This gasket is captive in the pipe under pressure from the clamp.

I believe the gasket was damaged the last time I put the exhausts back on. Found remnants of it in the baffles in the exhaust (the few that are there). Figured it caused back pressure through the line and it gave at the weakest point which explains the loud pop I heard. The clamp was a till tight but will be replacing it too over the winter.