General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Lightening the flywheel

Old 12-06-2005, 08:34 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Lightening the flywheel

Hi folks,

Although I enjoy the power delivery of my VTR, I must confess taht I would like it to be a bit snappier in the way it responds to throttle input. I also know that Moriwaki makes a light flywheel for example. I also seem to recall someone (RC996?) saying that you could machine 1/2" off the stock one to get a decent improvement. A sligthly quicker response and ability to gain revs more quickly would help to enhance the performance feel of the engine I would think.

Can anyone confirm this? Is there a downside to doing this (ie. changing the vibration frequencies?... ) Anything else to consider?

cheers
Mikstr
Old 12-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Squid

VTR69
Re: Lightening the flywheel

Engine braking increases as your flywheel lightens. Not as much spinning mass to hold back when you shut the throttle, right ? Motorcyclist magazine did a piece on that a while back. Inlines in their study engine braked more than twins because, they said, of their lighter flywheels. How much engine braking is too much ? Apparently there's more than enough now on the inlines because lots of them are now made with slipper clutches. I wonder if anybody has fitted a made a slipper fot the VTR yet ? Just random thoughts here.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:39 AM
MotoGP

Thanks for the input. In regards to the new geneeration of I4's, I would imagine the fact that they are all running compression ratios in excess of 12:1 is also a factor in increased engine braking.

Anyone else have any input about the pros and cons or how-tos of lightening the flywheel on the VTR?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:40 AM
MotoGP

hey, I'm now a Super Sport....woohoo
Old 12-07-2005, 05:49 AM
MotoGP

so, no one has an interest or input on this one? interesting.

guess I should stick to undertails and pipes huh
Old 12-13-2005, 08:43 AM
MotoGP

Hi folks,

FYI, I picked up a used flywheel on eBay (for about $20 CAN) and am having it sent to Roger at Revolution Racing in the UK to have it lightened to his specs. I will then install it in the Spring and hopefully enjoy the benefits of a more responsive engine

If it doesn't work as planned, I will be out just a few bucks and can simply re-install the existing one. A low-risk experiment
Old 12-13-2005, 02:07 PM
Squid

Monomaster

Good on you for giving it a go mikstr.....
I will be following the progress of this experiment as I have yet to find any informative info on this mod (which I am keen to try myself next year). Keep me/us posted of the pros & cons. :wink:

By the way, does anybody have a link to the Moriwaki Parts site? I use to have it but it seems to be gone now (or changed)...?!?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:30 PM
MotoGP

Thanks Mono

I will certainly keep you posted although I won't be able to report back until May 2006 as my bike will be in storage until then. I am pleased to see that I am not alone in being curious about this mod. Besides, all other things being equal, how could anyone not want sharper throttle response (although I relaize it may make traction a bit trickier in some instances). It should help the bike to light up more quickly and give a more pronounced feeling of acceleration, least that is what I am hoping for. While I love the feel of my Storm (especially now with the mods I have made), I do find it feels almost too tame. Hopefully this will fix that, lol

In regards to the Moriwaki address, I believe Big Valley Honda (www.bigvalleyhonda.com) was a distributor for them but I just checked their site and saw nothing mentioned (even though it was on only last week). The site for the company itself is http://www.moriwaki.co.jp/ but the English portion is still under construction. You can also try REvolution Racing at www.revolutionuk.co.uk (Roger is probably the most knowledgeable person on all things VTR that you will find anywhere). They distribute Moriwaki in the UK. If you have any questions about specific products, drop Roger a line, he is extremely helpful

cheers
Mikstr