SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   learning the honda alphabet (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/learning-honda-alphabet-7478/)

call me phil 08-12-2005 03:17 PM

learning the honda alphabet

ok...so i know on our bikes that the V stands for the cylinder configuration, the T stands for the fact that it is a Twin, but what does the R stand for? and then at the end, what the heck does the F stand for? Fun? and i found a sticker under my seat that says vtr1000fx, does anyone else here have that x? and what does that stand for????

NOrrTH 08-12-2005 03:20 PM

Re: learning the honda alphabet

F = fairing?

X = ultra secret project super bike :wink:

Utah996 08-12-2005 03:21 PM

My 2002 says VTR1000F2. I'm assuming the "x" would be the year it was made maybe? I have not a clue.

divingindaytona 08-12-2005 05:49 PM

I have always wondered what CBR stands for.

Mysteries of the universe. :roll:

AZZKIKER 08-12-2005 07:50 PM

Whatever comes after the F is the color code I think.

inderocker 08-12-2005 09:22 PM

f= fourstroke ?

Brian A 08-13-2005 05:47 AM

I was once told CB stands for Custom Bike
R stands for Racing.

Not sure I believe it, but that's what I was told. It sort of makes sense, but my CBR 1000 F is NOT a for "racing". It goes fast, but it ain't a "race" bike.

What about the CBR 954 RR - is that:
Custom Bike-Racing 954 Race Race?

Brian

divingindaytona 08-13-2005 02:46 PM

I think I have figured out part of the honda alphabet.

RR stands for really really

Fast is implied

So you could say that the 954 is really really fast.

inderocker 08-13-2005 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by divingindaytona";p=&quot (Post 9242)
I think I have figured out part of the honda alphabet.

RR stands for really really

Fast is implied

So you could say that the 954 is really really fast.

RR = Race Replica ?

bluesman 08-13-2005 03:50 PM

VTR
V-engine
T-two
R-race

CB - City Bike (it's just historically)

CBR - City Bike, Racing

RR - Race Replica

CB-F: CB+fairing

In combinations after model F stands for "Friendly" and describes rather sport-touring or rider-friendly series: CBR600F, VFR750F, VTR1000F, CBF600, CB750F etc.

Letters after last F stand for codes of model year. My bike I think FV - V stands for 97. My HOrnet was FY for 2000

X - for Cross--roads
CR for cross race
L - don't rememeber

Honda guys thou (I mean - Japanese) I spoke to on bike show told me that this is how they explain in, but that it is not actually considered to have corresponding word at all, internally it became just codes for bike category...may be they just did not want to tell...

call me phil 08-15-2005 07:53 PM

hey, thanx for all the answers guys! i think i like norths answer best, you dont happen to own a pontiac do you north, as everyone who owns a pontiac has a "one of a kind ultra rare race only model that somehow got out of the factory moments before it was crushed," model, kinda like my 86 firebird. and thank you bluesman, you have answer the question that haunts me nightly....now i can sleep!

superbling 08-15-2005 09:19 PM

Bluesman,

That's about the best explanation I've ever seen and it even makes sense! :)

Unfortunately, it doesn't always hold true. According to what you've been told, the RC51 should be labelled a VTR1000RR rather than a RVT1000R. The RC51 monikor comes from the frame number and those might be a better clue to overall lineage.

Personally, I think it's all marketing BS that is usually based on lineage to keep it somewhat consistent but they will deviate when/if they think the market calls for it. :roll: One that seems the most consistent from all the manufactures is the RR label for road-racer or replica racer.

inderocker 08-16-2005 01:05 AM

stupid honda.... playing tricks....

bluesman 08-16-2005 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by superbling";p=&quot (Post 9325)
Bluesman,

That's about the best explanation I've ever seen and it even makes sense! :)

Unfortunately, it doesn't always hold true. According to what you've been told, the RC51 should be labelled a VTR1000RR rather than a RVT1000R. The RC51 monikor comes from the frame number and those might be a better clue to overall lineage.

Personally, I think it's all marketing BS that is usually based on lineage to keep it somewhat consistent but they will deviate when/if they think the market calls for it. :roll: One that seems the most consistent from all the manufactures is the RR label for road-racer or replica racer.

That's very true - this uncertainty is exactly what I tried to clear with Honda men but I think they had no clue themselves :lol:

Here is to make it even more complicated: RC51 only sold as RC51 or RVT in US.
In Europe it is VTR1000 SP1 or VTR1000 SP2.
RVT1000 here is a name for Nicky Hayden replica only or HRC-prepped VTR1000 SP2, or US import. Which corresponds with RVF750 etc. - so, that's OK
CBR1000rr does not have SB link, so - never had real race replica...
RVF750 was sold here as VFR750R, thou everybody knows RC30 or RC45.
RC certainly comes from RC30, but reason I think purely marketing - to make owner proud by linking them with part of history....
But - from other side - VTR1000 can not be VTR1000RR because it homologated race bike, while things like CBR1000RR is not racing-targetted homologated race bike. But - if I fllow that principle - same like with RC30 or RC45 - but then why the hell they sold RC45 as VFR750R here?....
So - total mess :lol:
For some more mess: Superhawk here is Firestorm. Honda NightHawk here simply CB750, Honda 599 here is Honda Hornet CB600, Honda Itereceptor VFR800 here simply VFR800....oh, that getting really bad :lol: I'll stop here....