SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Just Bought My First Bike (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/just-bought-my-first-bike-34339/)

RidingJersey 01-16-2017 10:52 AM

Just Bought My First Bike

5 Attachment(s)
Hey friends, I just bought a 1998 Vrt 1000 with 70,000 miles on it and theirs small things i noticed that's wrong like half of the rear aftermarket tail light is out but i have a new one and im gonna replace it, it likes to pop out of first gear and goes into neutral on its own at about 6000 RPM, also the fan for the radiator is bent and has some pressure on it because i can feel the blade for the fan itself touching the wall around it, i gotta get that replaced and check that out but aside from that the bike Runs and rides fairly nice. Its my first Bike and ive watched youtube videos of what to look out for when getting a bike but what im asking is, is there anything specific that i should be looking out for or checking on this bike specifically?

finepooch 01-16-2017 06:04 PM

welcome aboard.
the usual things to check are reg/rec, cct, and... well, some of the others can chime in. i changed my r/r but still have the oem cct.

CrankenFine 01-17-2017 12:31 PM

Welcome to the forum. You can find a great deal of useful information here in knowledge base and the stickies threads. There's even a full PDF of the factory maintenance manual. Pose a specific question if you can't find something. From the pictures it appears numerous mods/upgrades are already done so maybe you can skip what most of us did with cam chain tensioners, regulator and suspension.

But if this is your first motorcycle take your time to get to know it well. Of concern is the popping out of gear problem - a very abnormal issue for this bike in my experience. Good luck and ride safe, that's a lot of motor for a beginner!

RidingJersey 01-17-2017 01:34 PM

Thank you Very much for the welcoming! and im gonna keep looking into swapping the transmission. im trying to find one around me in a junkyard but its hard to find one.

NHSH 01-17-2017 03:57 PM

Welcome to the forum.
You cannot swap transmission, it is not like a car or a Harley Davidson, the transmission is an integrated part of the engine, which means, you will need to take apart and split the engine case to replace the actual specific gear or other... which also means you need the engine out of the bike first (significant work).
It doe's sound a bit unusual, I would say if anything, it should have been the second gear to go bad first, although it is rare on this model anyway, it seems it had some abuse on the gears. I suspect that you either have a truly bad first gear, or it could be a bent fork gearshift which is more likely in this case, but only a good visual inspection of the gears will determine what's wrong.
Sorry to bring you the news, but if you are not mechanically inclined, it may cost you some doe.

NHSH 01-17-2017 04:03 PM

As for the radiator, you maybe able to get away from replacing if you add a washer or two between the radiator and the fan assembly, just to push the fan away from the rad'.