SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Just bought a 996 (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/just-bought-996-a-16219/)

MLB 09-20-2008 07:35 PM

Just bought a 996

05 with 2,100 miles on ebay. HOPING I didn't make a mistake! :)
LOOKS clean as he!! :)

Death Cattle 09-20-2008 07:39 PM

if it only has 2100 miles then im sure you didnt make a mistake. unless you paid under 3 grand for it, then theres probably something wrong with it. haha. they're very awesome bikes. you'll love it.

Woodytick 09-20-2008 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by MLB (Post 182210)
05 with 2,100 miles on ebay. HOPING I didn't make a mistake! :)
LOOKS clean as he!! :)

did you buy the black one. i just bought the black one with flames off of there.

roadapple 09-21-2008 05:30 AM

Congrats! You'll love it (unless you just don't like torque):eek:

MLB 09-21-2008 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Woodytick (Post 182232)
did you buy the black one. i just bought the black one with flames off of there.

Yep, the black with gold rims. Pretty bike. I REALLY like the electric blue color but couldn't find one in decent driving distance to pick up.
Scares me buying without riding it or at least hearing it run!! Not like me at all, but I got hooked once I started looking.
I had an 89 Hawk GT (NT650GT) and it was my favorite bike. They were going for around 3k when I sold it in the late 90's, so to find 4 and 5 y/o SuperHawks for similar money now just blew me away!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=120305869382

Wolverine 09-21-2008 10:15 AM

Congrats and welcome. I too graduated from an '88 Hawk GT and loved that bike, but now we're in the big leagues! Start savin' for exhaust. The sound of that big twin uncorked is just pure bliss.

MLB 09-21-2008 12:16 PM

Bafflectomy?

I've seen several reference to that on some of the for sale bikes. Are they removing a baffle entirely or replacing it with some thing more free flowing? If the stock pipes can sound decent without being overly loud, I would greatly prefer that. Love OEM quality. (usually)
How is the suspension? I am 220lbs, I won't be riding the bike hard at all, just sporty street riding (sporty for a 49 y/o with many years of riding but no track days or anything like that. If I drag a knee it's cause I crashed my BIcycle. ;)

Tweety 09-21-2008 12:33 PM

Well, you start out by drilling holes in the rear baffle... Most start out with 4 ½" holes... But if you want to you keep going until the baffle is weakened enough to remove the endpipe... Then just clean it up... Gives you a nice roar/rumble instead of the stock whisper... But it's still quiet enough to reduce unwanted attention, and keep you from going loopy on longer rides...

Oh and at 220 you'll probably feel that the front end suspension is a bit to soft... even at just a "spirited" pace... Get beefier springs/valves... search the forum and you will find plenty of information...

Black Hawk 09-21-2008 01:14 PM

Changing The Fairing ?

I am stuck changing the left fairing. I have all the screws out but one on the inside. How do I get this off any suggestion? 04 SH

Tweety 09-21-2008 01:36 PM

The easy solution is to remove the fairing as a unit... unplug the headlight and blinkers, take of the mirrors and loosen the 4 bolts, unhook the hooks by the radiators... Then take it all off by standing infront of the bike and gently widening the parts of the fairing and lifting forward...

Once of it's a whole lot easier to figure out how to take it apart...

Gregw 09-21-2008 01:37 PM

Did you remove the little push fastener that's on the lower radiator mount? Underneath.

finepooch 09-21-2008 02:14 PM

bafflectomy - no. get a slip on. the sound is pure bliss.

MLB 09-21-2008 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by finepooch (Post 182279)
bafflectomy - no. get a slip on. the sound is pure bliss.

You're gonna have to be more specific. I've heard plenty of sound clips and many of them I don't care for. Most of them I don't care for the look. They are almost always of lessor quality and will have much shorter lives compared to the oem piece. Lighter means louder, etc etc

I've heard some that did sound awesome. but that's not my main concern. NICE is nice enough, and if the bafflectomy gives me nice enough, no cost and oem quality, then I'm a happy man.

Reynolds68 09-22-2008 01:00 AM

I tried the holes and decided it had too much of a popping sound, like it was going shh shh shh all the time and went full bafflectomy. Much better, kinda loud but not really as loud as some aftermarket. Dunno where you live but if your anywhere near chattanooga, tn. you're more than welcome to hear mine.

RickB 09-22-2008 08:22 AM

Welcome aboard.