SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   INTRUDER! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/intruder-33799/)

kenmoore 03-07-2016 03:09 AM

INTRUDER!

I never thought I would see the day when a Harley visited the Man Cave!

This "thing" belongs to a mate of mine. 10 years old and corroded to the Shithouse. Travelled a mere 3000Klms it's like new but all the chrome is pitted.

I have only ever ridden one other Harley and this bike after a short ride confirms why I like my VTR soo much.

Take a look!

[URL=http://s1000.photobucket.com/user/kbarr2/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-03/18BEEF6A-A8A8-4B3D-88D6-7755C1B87FFB_zpsoomw2okk.jpg.html]http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/...psoomw2okk.jpg[/URL

The whole bike is corroded, however I think it can come back.

This bike was a Demonstrator way back when and is fitted with the full catalogue of accessories!

Everything is chrome

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/...pssvnttmgf.jpg

When it's all done and present and correct for a Harley of it's period I will organise a ride with some of my mates that are used to seeing me on the VTR and turn up on the Harley.

Any suggestions from the brethren on here who own Harley's or have experience with them will be appreciated!

VTR1000F 03-07-2016 08:12 AM

And I though I was going to read a cool post about Suzuki Intruders.

What's the cause of all the corrosion? Is it always parked at the beach in the sea spray?

What is that - a Fat Boy? Looks like a Fat Boy.

Jack Flash 03-07-2016 08:19 AM

The only thing I can say, is they are complicated for nothing when it comes time to change oils. Three drains, and three different fills. The rest is pretty easy and simple.

kenmoore 03-07-2016 11:46 AM

Sat in a wharehouse for years without being ridden.

The front tyre had 7lbs air in it !

Need to change all fluids including fork oil !

Back in the 90s I had a 750 intruder as a runaround !

Wicky 03-07-2016 12:49 PM

A Harley big bore Sportster got me into V-twins from UJMs after riding a friend's - thouroughly enjoyed the grunt out of corners but not so impressed when he rode it and I was following and I had to dodge & swerve to avoid all the bits that were falling off it (indicators etc) due to the vibration.

VTR best of both worlds!

xeris 03-07-2016 03:37 PM

Heard an add on the radio today for HD Rushmore. Had to laugh when stated that HD were leaders in innovation. Maybe in 1915.

VTR1000F 03-07-2016 04:48 PM

Always finding new things to chrome...

CruxGNZ 03-11-2016 05:17 PM

Speaking of chrome, get yourself a bag of four ought (number "0000") steel wool to get that rust off there. Once you use it and see how easy it comes off, you will end up using it on everything chrome! Seriously, that steel wool makes a world of difference. Just remember to polish the chrome afterwards.

That is definitely a Fat Boy.

kenmoore 03-13-2016 01:53 AM

Yes,

It is a Fat Boy and all the corrosion is gone.

Basically all that's left to do is the rear wheel and then a full service.

My photobucket is shot, will post pics when I get a chance.

Bustin 03-18-2016 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by xeris (Post 394070)
Heard an add on the radio today for HD Rushmore. Had to laugh when stated that HD were leaders in innovation. Maybe in 1915.

Harley's marketing strategy and brand management has shown much innovation over the years...especially considering the fact that up until fairly recently, their bikes were substandard from both a reliability and a performance standpoint, at least until the "new" EVO motors came along and didn't need to be rebuilt after the first oil change.

How were they able to grab such a big market share and become such an iconic brand worldwide ? Innovative ideas like selling a "lifestyle" and all the clothing and doo-dads that went along with it, not to mention the bikes themselves.

I'm no Harley fan-boy , and after riding most of their offerings in the last 20 years remain unimpressed by the bikes themselves , but as a professional in the motorcycle industry I do have to give them credit, where credit is due.

Side note : I also though this thread might be about the Suzuki Intruder... which literally translates to "unwelcome visitor" , lol. Horrific bikes, especially the big-bore 1400 & 1500 versions. If you want to experience the adrenaline rush of a near death experience , hit a mild radius, long sweeper on a VS1400 Intruder at say .....45 mph . If you come out alive , you'll probably pull over and kiss the ground while thanking God for sparing your life. The smaller Intruders (700cc-800cc) aren't nearly as bad from a handling standpoint, but have a power to weight ratio comparable to a Geo Metro.

Suzuki makes some great bikes , but the Intruder line isn't one of them.

Tweety 03-27-2016 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bustin (Post 394388)
Harley's marketing strategy and brand management has shown much innovation over the years...especially considering the fact that up until fairly recently, their bikes were substandard from both a reliability and a performance standpoint, at least until the "new" EVO motors came along and didn't need to be rebuilt after the first oil change.

How were they able to grab such a big market share and become such an iconic brand worldwide ? Innovative ideas like selling a "lifestyle" and all the clothing and doo-dads that went along with it, not to mention the bikes themselves.

I'm no Harley fan-boy , and after riding most of their offerings in the last 20 years remain unimpressed by the bikes themselves , but as a professional in the motorcycle industry I do have to give them credit, where credit is due.

Side note : I also though this thread might be about the Suzuki Intruder... which literally translates to "unwelcome visitor" , lol. Horrific bikes, especially the big-bore 1400 & 1500 versions. If you want to experience the adrenaline rush of a near death experience , hit a mild radius, long sweeper on a VS1400 Intruder at say .....45 mph . If you come out alive , you'll probably pull over and kiss the ground while thanking God for sparing your life. The smaller Intruders (700cc-800cc) aren't nearly as bad from a handling standpoint, but have a power to weight ratio comparable to a Geo Metro.

Suzuki makes some great bikes , but the Intruder line isn't one of them.

Oh... I've ridden the 'smaller' Intruders a bit... They actually beat the Geo Metro for power hands down... Not that it's actually a good thing, since they won't stop for shit, unless you throw out an anchor to slow you down... And one block of riding the bigger Intruder was all it took to convince me that I had more worth while things to do... Like sort my navel lint according to color...

Suzuki made a few good bikes back in the day... Now a days they have the GSXR's that's good... The rest is just as much crap as the Intruder really... (Not that Honda is doing great... Their current bikes is best aimed at the geriatric crowd...)

RedStormJ 08-30-2016 09:23 AM

My mom got rid of her V star for a harley because shes short. HAHA. She said she noticed a big drop in power. Shes got a brand spanking new 1300 some odd cc monster with the pipes and fueling done by harley. I am not a fan.