SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Introduction + Tail Rack Info (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/introduction-tail-rack-info-33379/)

NSRider 07-22-2015 10:40 AM

Introduction + Tail Rack Info

5 Attachment(s)
Hello! This is my first post after being a heavy forum reader since purchasing a 1998 Firestorm in March. Had wanted to write earlier and pass along my sincere thanks to all who have kindly shared so much helpful technical information with owners – it’s made all the difference digging into a new bike for the first time.

The bike was a ‘barn find’ for me – never rain driven and with a little over 20,000 km (about 12,500 miles). Was away from bikes for four decades of family & career and started off again a few years ago with a 500. Figured I had one more bike in me before my ‘best before’ date arrived and lots of research led to the VTR.

Have attended to the CCT’s, putting a new one on the front & stopper mod on both. Only thing I can share from the CCT work is a really cheap fix for the small lock key Honda supplies. A Home Depot plastic wing nut, hot knife blade, and some wire sure eases finger pressure. Also replaced the OEM R/R with a newer MOSFET unit and pic shows the install plate I made up (suggested by an earlier post) and end result.

What may be of interest to those looking for a small and tidy rack is my install of Little Horse Cycles’ VTR tail piece. Based on old posts about his original rack, I contacted Andrew and asked whether he was still making them. While I knew they were fabricated to fit the OEM seat, I decided to order one and mod it for my Sargent seat. What was a nice surprise is that his latest rack was steel (original was aluminum), it sat lower on the pillion (clean look), and was strengthened (side pieces added).

Pics show rack on the Sargent seat and I've included small insert images of it mounted on the Honda seat + small Autokicker pack I use for gloves, cellphone and misc stuff on short trips. Modding it for the Sargent took some time (front rack pads end up floating in the seat cavity created for the documents canister) but all is solid after fitting two steel brackets + filing small reliefs in the seat base & fairings. None of this is required for the OEM seat.

I sent all my install pics and dimensions to Andrew and he said he’d likely make a ‘bolt & go’ Sargent version if someone can send him a loaner seat. I corresponded with Andrew through the Little Horse Cycles Facebook page, so best check with him on the latest pricing – mine was the first steel unit he made.

Sorry for the long post and limited pics (only allowed five as a new poster). Again, many thanks to all for your detailed and knowledgeable contributions over the years. You’ve made owning & maintaining the bike easy.

Steve :)
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada

Hangfly 07-22-2015 11:00 AM

Steve,
Welcome to the Superhawk Forum. You have a skillful attention to detail and a very tidy VTR there!

CrankenFine 07-22-2015 01:58 PM

Gotta love that rack!

Welcome!!:p

VTR1000F 07-22-2015 02:39 PM

Welcome Steve.

Nice rack! How did you contact Andrew at Little Horse Cycles? I haven't been able to locate a phone number and it doesn't look like he's been on the forum for a couple of years and I don't facebook.

NSRider 07-22-2015 05:48 PM

Thanks for the comments and warm welcome! Only corresponded with Andrew through the message function on his Facebook site...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Littl...85809474769493

and never had an address/phone number. Let me check with him via Facebook and confirm alternate contact info. Will get back as soon as I know more.

Cheers,

Steve

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 388710)
Welcome Steve.

Nice rack! How did you contact Andrew at Little Horse Cycles? I haven't been able to locate a phone number and it doesn't look like he's been on the forum for a couple of years and I don't facebook.

thedeatons 07-22-2015 09:43 PM

Nice stock vtr!

I recognize the bracket you made :)

Nice low profile rack too!

James

CrankenFine 07-23-2015 04:08 AM

I've already contacted him on facebook and told him he might get more than one order soon.:cool:

NSRider 07-23-2015 12:36 PM

Regarding questions about the rack or to place an order, contact Andrew at....

littlehorsecycles@gmail.com

Steve

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 388710)
Welcome Steve.

CrankenFine 07-23-2015 02:55 PM

Rack is $90 plus postage powdercoated black or silver.
$75 without powedercoating.

VTR1000F 07-23-2015 03:19 PM

Thanks for the info guys.