General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Possible superhawk replacement

Old 12-28-2017, 07:54 AM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Possible superhawk replacement

I've been thinking of buying something new. I almost have 100,000k on my superhawk and have owned it for 7 years.

I suppose I am just lusting after something different.

Thinking about a naked bike, but I'll probably keep the superhawk around as a project... (we all know they aren't worth much anyways)

Opinions:
What would you replace it with and why?

I am thinking either a FZ/MT-09 (2017+), or an Aprilia Tuono (2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 08:52 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
When you say "new" were you leaning towards brand new (sounds like it from your two options) or newER? I loved my 1st gen FZ1 and kinda sorry I sold it as prices for a nice low mile one actually seemed to have gone up a little... A bit tall but another 30hp and better brakes but I paid $3100 for a showroom perfect one with 3k miles on it plus a bunch of extras. Can't imagine the newest Tuono (or an S1000R) is anything but amazing. My friend also got an S1000XR that I'm dying to ride. The power, handling and refinement of all the newest bikes seems to be off the charts. I just have a hard time stomaching the way most of them look...
Old 12-28-2017, 12:43 PM
SuperSport

I think the Tuono looks great, but the fz09... not so much.
I'm not real keen on all the electronics. I think it takes alot of the skill out of riding, but at 175hp, I can see why the Aprilia needs it. I tend to keep my bikes pretty long term, so what happens when all those expensive electronics start to break; or in the event of a crash.

the FZ09 just seems to be the best bang for the buck right now. Horsepower numbers are on par with the vtr, and thats more than enough to be entertained on a street bike.

FZ1 are nice bikes, but I think this time I just buy something modern, or just keep riding the vtr. It owes me nothing. Still runs well with just general maintenance. Wife told me if I want a new bike, just do it. I've been financially responsible the last few years, just putting everything into paying down the mortgage instead of spending on fun... but... I can't work all the time.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:08 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I added a '10 Ducati Multistrada to my stable. Love it! But packed full of electro's. The Tuono is a great bike, still full of electronic aids. Very reliable but not much wind protection. A friend has one and we've traded on rides, very sharp scalpel. I've ridden many bikes now that I work on 'em. I did a respring on an FZ09. Very quick revving motor, makes good sounds but again, no wind protection. It's a hooligan bike for sure. That and the Aprilia aren't 2-up friendly if you have a wife/girlfriend that likes to ride.

Consider the KTMSuperDukeR. It's an ANIMAL!!
Old 12-28-2017, 03:56 PM
SuperSport

Late this season my buddy let me take out his 2016 Superduke 1290r special edition, it was pretty wild.

He told me I can borrow it next season for a week to see how I like it.

I took an FZ-09 on a demo ride last May. Its hard to get an accurate feeling for how a bike is on a demo- day ride. Wound up being follow the leader, stoplight to stoplight, then back to the dealership... At least I got a good idea about the ergonomics, but no real chance to open it up. The front suspension was pretty soft, and I'm sure I would like to find a replacement for the budget rear shock.

I went out on a 2016 Tuono RR in October. It did everything well in the upper rev-range. The fueling wasn't great down low, and the quickshifter only wanted to work when it was up in the revs. Sounded great even with the stock pipe.

From what I understand the 2017 Tuono has improved fueling, Brembo M50s, TFT display, and a downshift auto-blipper... all that and cruise control!

I just wonder if I could be happy with a $9,500 FZ09, or just pony up the extra cash and buy the $15,000 Tuono. The amount of aftermarket parts I would have to throw at the FZ09 to make it fit my needs would rapidly approach the cost of the Tuono.

The other thing is, if I chuck the VTR down the road, I am more worried about myself than the bike. I have enough spares for the VTR that I could wreck it and rebuild it at little cost. Somebody steals it? Whatever. Backs into it? Knocks it over? meh... I won't be happy, but its no great financial hit. -But that's why I love this bike so much.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:26 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by matt365
The other thing is, if I chuck the VTR down the road, I am more worried about myself than the bike. I have enough spares for the VTR that I could wreck it and rebuild it at little cost. Somebody steals it? Whatever. Backs into it? Knocks it over? meh... I won't be happy, but its no great financial hit. -But that's why I love this bike so much.
true story
but if the passion is gone trying something else might be the prescription you need. keeping the hawk is a good idea.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:25 PM
MotoGP

Yep, getting the latest greatest Italian exotic will make ya worry ... a lot more than your Hawk. Just how it is. Tell ya though, every time you get off the thing, you'll look back at it with a giddyness hard to explain. That Yammie probably won't do that, maybe it will but not to the same level. Just my .02

That V4 uncorked:
I rode that bike. MMmmmmm
Old 12-29-2017, 09:22 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
You could also go for a 2nd gen FZ1 (or a GSX1250 (Bandit) or newer Concours 14 though you still seem to be leaning towards the sportier side) so you're still getting a fairly new bike without any of the headaches or high ownership cost. They all put out some pretty impressive numbers on the dyno if you check out Holeshot.com. I'm willing to bet a well sorted 2nd gen FZ1 is probably 90-95% of the newest Tuono at half the cost.

Last edited by captainchaos; 12-29-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:52 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
I'm waiting to see if Triumph makes a touring version of the 765 Street. Light weight is becoming more important to me as my age climbs. Too much HP is just fine, but really a hundred odd HP is plenty for the street (for me anyways).
Old 12-29-2017, 06:20 PM
Back Marker

AlanS is on a distinguished road
If you're interested in a sport-touring bike the Ducati SuperSport looks interesting. About the same HP as our VTRs, but definitely a more modern bike. Base model $13K. Maintenance intervals are 9K miles and valve adjust at 18K. Big improvement over the former intervals. I would have one of these if I wanted the payment or was willing to sell 1/2 my liver...LOL.

Alan
Old 12-30-2017, 08:17 AM
SuperSport

The v4 sounds amazing.

I've ridden the bandit 1250, never been on an fz1, but ridden an r1. Whatever I get next won't be a 4 cylinder, unless its the fz10 crossplane crank.

its either another big single (ktm 690, or husky smr), another big twin (superbike), triple (fz09, or a triumph), or a sweet v4.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:42 AM
MotoGP

The Duc supersport is a very intriguing machine. I've sat on a few but didn't get to demo one yet. One thing you don't see with that initial price tag, is cost of maint. Desmo service isn't cheap. And the DIY can be involved. I just had my first belt/valve service done this fall and it was about 750/800. So budget that every 18k.

I agree 100% with your choice of engine configuration. I4 just don't do it for me. I did a fork respring on the FZ9. I know the guy and he's quite happy where it's at now. Only thing I would try to convince you of, is the electronics issue. My Multi is completely transformed into 4 bikes at the flick of a few buttons. Traction control can usually be turned off or way down on most all of them. It's nice to be able to dial down power in the rain or sketchy surfaces. One thing that is concerning for me is the electronic suspension. If a servo motor wears out or fails, I'm SOL. I can do most of my own work but the cost of replacements is large.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:00 PM
SuperSport

My friend has a '92 Ducati 900ss that he has allowed me to ride quite a bit. From what I remember, even if you don't approach the mileage recommendation on the belt change, they say it should be done every two years. PITA, especially if you have to pay the dealership to do it each time. Pay to play I suppose, but worth it to buy the proper tools and learn how to do it yourself.

On the Aprilia there is a crank holding tool, and tools to hold the cam gears in place for removal to shim the valves. From what my other friend with an RSV4 told me, Aprilia suggests you do it with the engine removed from the bike. The tools can be modified to do it in the frame; so if I go for it, I will split on the tools with my friend.
The cost for the dealership to do a valve adjustment on the RSV4 or Tuono is between $1100-$1500. No way I want to pay shop fees for that.

Man that looks good. I don't think I would bother ponying up the extra for the Factory. The Sachs suspension is quality, and $2 grand saved would be nice.

My buddy has a '17 RSV4 RF. He was told that the shock should be rebuilt at least every 30,000 miles with street use. That seems pretty good, as I'm sure it would be getting tired by then anyways, but realistically 95% of riders won't ever approach needing Ohlins forks and a TTX shock. I won't be any slower on SACHS.

It would look good in my living room.

Last edited by matt365; 12-31-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:21 AM
SuperBike

ive had a ducati 1098 since 2010. I haven't ridden it in two or three years because the hawk is so much more comfy and user friendly. I don't plan on selling it because I have an emotional attachment to it.

I have also owned Aprilia mxv450 and a n rxv550. the aprilias were excellent handling bikes and sexy as anything. parts for these two motocross and enduros were very cheap, but I started to need more of them... I can handle high maintenance but i have little to no patience for problematic bikes so these two got shipped out.

I would not hesitate to buy a rsv4 or v4 tuono, especially if there was a dealer nearby. I think the xv series off road bikes were problematic but the street bikes should be fine. the aprilias are definitely sexy and draw out their owner's passion. if it turns your crank get one.
Attached Thumbnails Possible superhawk replacement-img_2175.jpg   Possible superhawk replacement-img_1810.jpg   Possible superhawk replacement-img_0551.jpg  
Old 01-01-2018, 06:27 AM
MotoGP

Agree! I like 'em. Build quality is excellent, the welds are superb! And the sound track is good. Only thing I disagree on is in reference to the Ohlins. Having it sways my decision. If you're gonna go that far, might as well get the best. It works so well in everyday riding and wicked up is on another level. IF you were to push to 80/90% and up, the O increases your abilities to do so.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:45 PM
SuperSport

Update: Ended up going for the Tuono. Drove 11 hours to go pick it up. It was $1800 less than I could get it for locally... for that , I'll make the drive. That Euro-4 exhaust has to go... After break-in and first service, let the modding begin.

Might keep the VTR if I don't get any decent offers. Started parting out my parts bike VTR (if anyone needs any bits and pieces). Coming from Canada, so its a little bit of a hassle sending to the States (or is it?) Only ever received parts from South of the border. My prices would be a bit better, since the Canadian dollar is less than $80c US.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:48 PM
MotoGP

Congrats buddy. You're gonna love that bike. Looks great! 1st thing I'd budget for is a fender elim kit. Keep us posted.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:48 PM
SuperBike

nice looking bike

I will think about your parts bike
Old 04-01-2018, 08:07 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
congrats on the new steed
Old 04-02-2018, 10:21 AM
ren
Back Marker

ren is on a distinguished road
I have an 1100 Factory ('16)

you'll be in love for quite awhile friendo
Old 04-03-2018, 02:20 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by finepooch
nice looking bike

I will think about your parts bike
If you need any bits and pieces.

I sold the engine, wiring harness, gauges, carbs, and airbox to a guy that is putting it in an ice racing car. Some tiny Subaru. Still have the rest of the bike. If my street VTR sells, I'll be selling it with the stock shock, and I'll have an Ohlins to sell here.

Ohlins was just refreshed last season.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:07 AM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
Congrats dude! Amazing bike!

My Aprilias always felt like having a hot Italian girlfriend but with a Japanese temper. Riding was like heaven and they never, ever, pissed me off. IMO best all around motorcycles manufacturer in the world.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:37 PM
SuperSport

I'm looking forward to it. Still pretty cold and shitty out right now. The end of the week is looking good for the bikes first ride.

I just hope it is as reliable as my vtr, or at least close. the '13s burned stators, there was cam pitting around that year as well, and some had valves that would be out of spec after 5,000 miles... but hopefully all that is sorted by now... supposed to be at least, but time will tell.

I'm already ordering parts... modding is a disease!
Old 04-11-2018, 03:57 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Well done, congratulations.

I have owned 3 Apes in company with the VTR..

First one was an 08 Shiver 750 then an 07 Tuono and finally a 14 RSV4 Tuono with an akra pipe and a few other bits.

Never had a problem with any of them, all great bikes that left the Man Cave for various reasons.

I just like the rawness of the VTR better however, each Ape gave me ideas for the VTR.

The last Tuono was brutally quick and packed with electronics that made it insane to ride. Very easy to go fast on and great sound.

Keep us up to date with your experience.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:53 PM
Squid

turbotimm is on a distinguished road
Was really close to selling the Superhawk about a month ago for a 955 Triumph Sprint ST. Price was right but then I took the Superhawk out for a ride and remembered why I've kept it for this long. I am keeping an eye out for a VFR though. I'd have a tough time holding on to the VTR if I found a VFR for the right price. Riding the VMAX will get you hooked on the V4 power very quick. If money was unlimited, the BMW s1000r and/or a Motus MST-R would be priority.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:06 PM
SuperSport

That Motus is pretty wild... but $30,000 + seems pretty steep to me. I guess for something you're not going to see every day, and if money was no object.

S1000r would be nice, but I wanted to steer clear of an inline 4 this time.

Had the Tuono out a week ago. Did about 140k on it. Keeping the RPM under 7,500 and varying the revs to break it in. The quickshifter/ auto-blipper will take some getting used to.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:50 AM
ren
Back Marker

ren is on a distinguished road
I was still subconsciously letting OFF the throttle during shifts and it made it jerky

Pin that sucker open and keep it open, but also I have a full EVO II system with a mapped ECU tho which I think improved my shifting and quick response. I'm a '16 tho so I dont have the down part still have to do that 'manually'. Set the suspension up to your weight, possibly consider adding the Factory rear Ohlins shock they are gettable for $500 but get accustomed to Italian prices on things I've dumped a ton into mine after thinking I wouldn't need to

Name:  XKcxP8O.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  182.5 KB
Name:  X6EPdCX.png
Views: 15
Size:  120.2 KB
Name:  XKfGfEB.png
Views: 15
Size:  313.5 KB
My favorite is the part throttle gains!
Actually going to be getting the Superhawk back up and running again soon tho

Last edited by ren; 04-20-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:53 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
impressive results... impressive bike!
Old 04-21-2018, 05:28 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
the VTR is a sport tourer

a Tuono can be too

I went with the FJ C3 engine, which $ per HP is tough to beat, expecially after a 500 mile day..

but I'll "never" sell my VTR, even after 20 years and a few miles...
Attached Thumbnails Possible superhawk replacement-20161117_112700.jpg   Possible superhawk replacement-20161117_112606.jpg   Possible superhawk replacement-20170222_142314.jpg   Possible superhawk replacement-20170813_173731.jpg   Possible superhawk replacement-20170813_173714.jpg  

Possible superhawk replacement-20180421_161405.jpg   Possible superhawk replacement-20180421_161351.jpg  

Last edited by skokievtr; 04-21-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:01 PM
SuperSport

Rode Saturday and Sunday. Burned a couple tanks through. Half way to my 1,000 km break-in.

Ren, you're right on the quick shifter. If I keep the gas on a bit, it smoothes right out. I did notice on the '16 Tuono I test rode last year, the quickshifter didn't want to work until much higher in the revs. On the '17 it is butter smooth above 3,000rpm. Under that, the manual says to use the clutch.

I'm used to Japanese precision: eg. - I adjusted the chain, and expected the marks on the swingarm to be somewhat accurate. They don't line up at all on each side... It was off by one of the half smaller marks. Had to use a vernier caliper to get it right... This machine has a lot of soul, but some issues with build quality for something so expensive. The fit and finish isn't all what its cracked up to be. Just some of the injection moulded plastic bits look like they could have been cleaned up a little better. Some of the earlier gen Tuonos had crappy hose clamps on the cooling system that would leak.

Overall, happy with my purchase. It hauls pretty good, even under 7,500 rpm. Definitely have to set up the sag, and mess with the rebound settings on the shock. Even the stock pipe doesn't sound too bad, I just wish it wasn't that massive Euro4 can.

Been selling a bunch of aftermarket bits off my VTRs, and half of the parts bike is gone. Hopefully now that the season is here, the rest of the stuff will go.