SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   ignition advancers?? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/ignition-advancers-24510/)

r80gsman 01-10-2011 04:48 AM

ignition advancers??

just ran across a Factory ignition advancer.. 4deg. what is the story on this. i have dealt with this in cars, with adjustable cam gears and it make a big difference ..
where does it go on the bike and is it worth it. 50$

uchi 01-10-2011 05:14 AM

i think i paid 50 for mine, havent put it in yet but i will over the winter when i get around to it. i believe it goes right by the clutch when you pull that engine cover off.

Tweety 01-10-2011 05:25 AM

On a 98-99, it's not that much of a difference since it's already close to that, on newer VTR's however the ignition is less advanced and it makes a noticable difference... Go search a few of the old threads and you will be able to dig up exact years/numbers on what people measured out...

r80gsman 01-10-2011 05:35 AM

ok,, will do a search, the factory pro web-site was not much help, more stuff about the SVs.. i have a 98. so it may not help..

8541Hawk 01-10-2011 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 290489)
On a 98-99, it's not that much of a difference since it's already close to that, on newer VTR's however the ignition is less advanced and it makes a noticable difference... Go search a few of the old threads and you will be able to dig up exact years/numbers on what people measured out...

And here for some reason I was thinking it was the other way around.

nothing 01-10-2011 12:21 PM

^I thought it was the way tweety said too, reason I never bought one. but in case you're right 8451 where can I get one of these things?

Tweety 01-10-2011 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 290523)
And here for some reason I was thinking it was the other way around.

I dunno, that was how I remebered it, but I could be wrong... It wouldn't be a novel occurance... ;)

r80gsman 01-10-2011 03:18 PM

i thought the older ones had more power, pre-01 . and thought it was timing related???? seams to me they(honda) might have had EPA pressure.. by retarding timing making a different power curve.

i think this is how this works.. the more advanced timing the more fuel is pressent(given a constant fuel supply) at the mid to top end. if the timing is retarded u get in a sense a better lower end, due to burn efficiency but hot,leaner on the topend(not gaining power). i read some were that the epa messures at idle and wide open.. so if you had a motor that was strong in the mid to top. it would be rich at idle to run and to enhance fuel supply at mid though the top.. this would not pass epa.. retard the timing, lower the pilot jet size, and thus getting the idle reading and wide open reading b/c the advance would have taken place early burning the mix meaning the top end would be lean. this makes an engine run well/ok for around town. but on the freeway at speed more on the lean side(not as healthy as it could be for performance) making the smog folks happy. the vw gti's and porsches i play with the first thing is advance the timing at the cams. this holds over the cam longer to stuff more fuel/air in there to make more power.

is this anywhere close???

8541Hawk 01-10-2011 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by r80gsman (Post 290575)
i thought the older ones had more power, pre-01 . and thought it was timing related???? seams to me they(honda) might have had EPA pressure.. by retarding timing making a different power curve.

They did make a cam change, so that is where the power went.
But I thought they also ran a bit more advance with the newer ECU to help get some of it back.

I do know the advancers were developed on the earlier models and of the 3 different ones they made 2,4 & 6 degrees, the 4 degree is the one that works the best.

r80gsman 01-10-2011 04:51 PM

that makes sense..

so does it make a 50$ difference on the early models?

salmanilla2000 01-12-2011 10:44 AM

http://www.solomotoparts.com/product...5&cat=0&page=1

They posted the wrong picture, but this is where I bought mine. I haven't installed it yet.

JamieDaugherty 01-14-2011 09:46 AM

I've got a 1998 model with the Factory Pro +4° installed. To be honest, I don't really care for it. It gives more midrange and less top end, exactly the opposite of what the VTR needs. Why I ever installed it in the first place is beyond me!

It's been on there for several years now, so I must not hate it that much. Even so, the next time the clutch side cover is off I'm going back to stock.

uchi 04-06-2011 04:37 AM

good to know jaime. mines going in this week along with the new clutch so ill be able to tell if it makes a difference on my 01 with the mystery year motor, lol. is there any jetting that needs to be adjusted when putting in the +4 advance or will the old settings still work?