SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Ideas for streetfighter (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/ideas-streetfighter-33934/)

Sdustin 05-11-2016 05:24 PM

Ideas for streetfighter

So I bought my busted hawk. This is my first sport bike and I'm not sure I want to spend the money for all the fairings just yet. So Im thinking I'll make my vtr into a streetfighter just so I can ride it some before I spend the money on new plastics. So my question is what are most people doing to mount their gauge cluster? I bought a chinesse dash with maganet speedo ect And am planing on getting a used factory cluster to wirethe factory plug on the new cluster so I can not fuck with the factory wiring harnnes. And one other question I bought replacment racing radiators and they are a good bit wider than stock if I do get new fairings are these going to be a bitch to get them to fit? I have much work to do the grips were huge cruiser style and the throttle was sticking and needed to be rolled forward to close the throttle. I took the grips off hoping the issues was them rubbing on something in the bars, I wasnt so lucky. Well the cables are really tough to move like nearly impossible so I'm going to have to take the tank off and air box to see if the new cables I got will fix this, might as well clean the carbs while im in there, this was I can check the jets ect, it's got 16kmiles but looks as if it was stored outside for some time.

My bike has a finned r/r so I'm guessing it's be replaced at some point. I plan to do the manual CCTs and check cables while it's apart. As well as new fork oil and seals, new plugs and wires, and an oil change, brake fluid and clutch fluid change and bleed. Any advice on what fluids are best. And I know I'm new but yes im asking about oil. Lol

Wolverine 05-11-2016 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sdustin (Post 395693)
im asking about oil. Lol

EVOO LOL! :evillaugh:

ren 05-12-2016 10:34 AM

Well all I can say about oil, is that the engine needs it! :)

Just_Nick 05-12-2016 12:30 PM

Rotella.

If you're planning on getting plastics, get plastics. Why waste the money on turning it into a streetfighter? That's money you could put toward the plastics and not have the bike look ghetto, because it takes a lot of time (and money) to get a streetfighter to look decent. Do it once, do it right.

DeLoreanBoy 05-12-2016 05:58 PM

I was going to chime in about how much I like un-faired dual headlights but Nick is right. To do a street fighter up right would actually cost more. I say do the Chinese knock off body kit for 400.00 and be almost done sans the tank, (if it needs paint too).

erno 05-13-2016 06:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
But if done right ,
Attachment 21561

Just_Nick 05-13-2016 07:29 AM

If done right, you don't look at your bank statements.

xeris 05-13-2016 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Just_Nick (Post 396133)
If done right, you don't look at your bank statements.

Bank statement? "We don't need no stinking bank statement"

Just_Nick 05-13-2016 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by xeris (Post 396138)
Bank statement? "We don't need no stinking bank statement"

If you don't look at it, then it doesn't exist, right?

xeris 05-13-2016 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Just_Nick (Post 396144)
If you don't look at it, then it doesn't exist, right?

Yup. My moto, out of sight, out of mind.

Sdustin 05-14-2016 05:32 PM

Erno what are you doing for gauges?

DeLoreanBoy 05-14-2016 06:45 PM

I like that belly fairing.

scottiemann 05-14-2016 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Just_Nick (Post 395713)
Rotella.

If you're planning on getting plastics, get plastics. Why waste the money on turning it into a streetfighter? That's money you could put toward the plastics and not have the bike look ghetto, because it takes a lot of time (and money) to get a streetfighter to look decent. Do it once, do it right.

hmmm... how much time and money have I spent? oh that's right, I told myself to not make a tally, that way when the other half asks me I'm not lying when I say I don't know lol

And once its ridable I'm still not done, still going to be tweaking things and making them perform/look better...

Isn't a full fairing set on ebay like $500 or less these days?

Just_Nick 05-15-2016 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by scottiemann (Post 396198)
hmmm... how much time and money have I spent? oh that's right, I told myself to not make a tally, that way when the other half asks me I'm not lying when I say I don't know lol

And once its ridable I'm still not done, still going to be tweaking things and making them perform/look better...

Isn't a full fairing set on ebay like $500 or less these days?

Yup. Your biggest expense for a single item is probably the headlight when getting fairings, because they're hard to come by in good shape. They typically sit right around $100. If you're lucky, you can get it with the bracket.

For the streetfighter conversion, a quality headlight bracket is going to cost around $60-100, a quality single 7" headlight with bulb is another $50-150 (depending on quality. You can also buy sets of lights and brackets for $120-250), then you have to deal with the mess that is the wire harness, find a way to make the radiators more attractive (or swap to a single, or relocate), mount front turn signals, get mirrors, find a gauge cluster that is neater than stock (then wire and mount it). And that's not even including all the fine-touch stuff to make it look like more than just a crashed bike with a swapped headlight.

Yeah, it's expensive and it's work. Hence, if the plan is to do fairings...do fairings. You could even do something like custom-mount CBR fairings, since they're more abundant. And many people prefer the more aggressive styling compared to the very round shape of the Superhawk fairings (again, there are exceptions).

CruxGNZ 05-15-2016 02:15 PM

For lots of ideas on street fighters, go to Custom Fighters - Streetfighter & Custom Motorcycle Forum & Blog | Custom Fighters

Sdustin 05-15-2016 02:39 PM

I think ill stich the busted factory fairings with zipties till I can afford a new set on ebay.

scottiemann 05-15-2016 04:41 PM

Why don't you post pictures of the damage, could they be repaired and painted?

Just_Nick 05-15-2016 07:04 PM

A quality fiberglass/ABS repair kit can patch up fairings, even with large portions missing. Or you just find used OEM fairings, then paint them to match if you cannot find ones that are the stock color.

erno 05-16-2016 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sdustin (Post 396191)
Erno what are you doing for gauges?

I use a acewell....but here are a few options for you...

StickMe - Digital Gauge\Cluster Options