SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   I finally own a VTR! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/i-finally-own-vtr-34162/)

torkjunky 09-17-2016 09:40 AM

I finally own a VTR!

1 Attachment(s)
I've been wanting a VTR for a couple years now. I've always loved the VTR's low grumbling sound. And have always had an addiction to low end torque. VTR's rarely come up for sale in my area, and if they do, they are priced quite high. But I picked up this '98 for a good price.
Needed some routine maintenance, like new rotors and pads for rear, New fluids all around.
Has had the full bafflectomy done. Sounds f***ing awesome. And fueling is pretty smooth other than a minor flat spot at 3500rpm. Starts easily when cold. Apparently it has had the CCT done. Pretty good find in my opinion ;)
Although I need some advice as to how to deal with the front end suspension and brakes. She dives when front braking, even at very low speed. I've cranked up the settings on rebound and damping with only very minimal improvement. So,... Do I replace the stock fork springs and oil, upgrade to steel braided brake lines(brakes are a bit to be desired)
Or is it recommended that I switch out the full front end? For something that is somewhat bolt on? I'm just beginning the research. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Wolverine 09-17-2016 12:10 PM

Welcome tj. Fork spring swap is easy and improvements are huge. If you go beyond .85's, the valving really needs worked too. I'd say do springs and revalve while in there for the best bang for the buck. If you can afford it, the USD swap is nice... We have a resident suspension guy on this forum. Search or PM Jamie Daugherty.
daughertymotorsports.com

VTR1000F 09-17-2016 12:22 PM

Welcome.

The rear CCT visible in your picture looks stock. They may have been replaced with stock parts or they may have had some type of stopper mod done. It's even possible that the stock parts have been converted to manuals - can't tell as the end of the CCT is obscured in the picture, but they are not manual replacements. Educate yourself on CCTs and be sure what you have before something goes boom.

So, you finally have a VTR, huh? Well, now you can finally start modding it. Welcome to OCMD, too. You obviously have all the signs and symptoms.

CrankenFine 09-17-2016 06:04 PM

Welcome! Love the touring windscreen 😃

Rocket Rider 09-18-2016 06:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Congrats I've had mine for a few months now and love the way it corners

Jack Flash 09-18-2016 07:42 AM

Please tell me you're not the one that put armor all on those tires !!? :eek:

That's a no, no. Oh yeah, welcome eh !

superbeater 09-18-2016 09:30 AM

Lots of info on this site if you search. Contact Sonic Springs for front spring info. I put Honda 954 calipers and an '09 CBR600RR master cylinder/lever with steel lines and HH pads. Huge improvements. Best thing I've done to my Hawk.
Other upgrades would be a MOSFET regulator ( with wiring kit from Eastern Beaver), manual Cam Chain Tentioners (CCT), and maybe a fork brace.
Enjoy!

torkjunky 09-19-2016 12:42 PM

Thanks for the info gents. I'll do some research in to cct's.
And I'll have a look at suspension threads on here.

Cadbury64 09-19-2016 03:40 PM

I've also got CBR954 calipers and master on my VTR with HH pads, and the brakes went from "meh" to "wow".

I have 0.85 kg/mm springs and Gold valves in my forks. I own three bikes, and this one has by far the best front end feel.

finepooch 09-19-2016 04:16 PM

welcome on board. how many kms on that bike?

vtrs are not common on kijiji down east but there is usually one or two of them for sale in the maritimes. and boy are they cheap out here. i just picked my second one up for basically a parts bike price and it is certainly not a parts bike.

torkjunky 09-21-2016 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It has 45,000kms
Took it to the track last weekend. It was a blast. Need to sort out the suspension though. Still fun.