SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   How to build at least a 150 hp SuperHawk (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/how-build-least-150-hp-superhawk-34778/)

whatthefnck 11-18-2017 09:27 PM

How to build at least a 150 hp SuperHawk

Does anyone have a blueprint for building one of these? I'd like to try to build something that can sorta keep up with these other 1000cc bikes out there.

VTR1000F 11-18-2017 10:17 PM

All you have to do is drop a different motor in it.

Wicky 11-19-2017 01:34 AM

SPECIFICATION SHEET FOR 1997 Stage 2 Factory Moriwaki Honda VTR1000

Stage 2 Moriwaki VTR

For 150bhp you'll need a Stage 3 > Untitled Document

The Moriwaki Stage 3 lives! > The Moriwaki Stage 3 lives! - VTR1000.ORG

In reality buy a Hayabusa or a more modern sports bike if you think you need 150 horsies to hand...

Wolverine 11-19-2017 04:34 PM

I gotta see this...

Oh and you may pull one fiddy for a sec:
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...6861609bfe.jpg

captainchaos 11-19-2017 06:35 PM

My opinion (whatever that might be worth) is if you have to ask, it's called sell your Superhawk and buy something with 150hp (or just keep both like many of us have). Not sure what "other 1000cc bikes" you're referring to but the newest liter bikes are pushing 200 at the wheel with minor mods. What exactly is your goal? You can buy an awful lot of bike for what it'll cost you to get that kind of power out of a Superhawk, and that's after even finding someone who knows what the hell they're doing. And you'll still have 10-15k in a bike that isn't worth shit that's also a time bomb in a chassis probably never designed for that kind of power. What's the point?

Sorry but nothing short of JATO bottles are gonna make a Superhawk keep up with one of these...

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/mcy...328731740.html (If the ad gets pulled down it's a '17 RSV4 with 205rwhp)

Think your money would be much better spent on some choice mods and some track days. I'm willing to bet you'll spend a lot more time ON your bike actually RIDING it and have a lot more FUN in the process too.

whatthefnck 11-19-2017 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 404641)
My opinion (whatever that might be worth) is if you have to ask, it's called sell your Superhawk and buy something with 150hp (or just keep both like many of us have). Not sure what "other 1000cc bikes" you're referring to but the newest liter bikes are pushing 200 at the wheel with minor mods. What exactly is your goal? You can buy an awful lot of bike for what it'll cost you to get that kind of power out of a Superhawk, and that's after even finding someone who knows what the hell they're doing. And you'll still have 10-15k in a bike that isn't worth shit that's also a time bomb in a chassis probably never designed for that kind of power. What's the point?
Think your money would be much better spent on some choice mods and some track days. I'm willing to bet you'll spend a lot more time ON your bike actually RIDING it and have a lot more FUN in the process too.

ya thats good points n all, but I just wanted to be able to say my "Superhawk" has that kind of power and runs the line hard with most the other bikes on the road. But not if it costs that much. I guess it just wont happen. I like the V twin thing tho.

Plus I want to set up a bike I can race on the track and ride around town. And this bike is cheap, I think. I'm not too experienced with pricing bike stuff.

Wolverine 11-19-2017 08:05 PM

Every time you post I'm like whatthefnck!

LOL!

NHSH 11-20-2017 07:00 PM

You know the HP is more what you can get at top speed... if you not going to ride at top speed all the time on public roads, then HP is not really what you need to have in mind.
The VTR is more like a torque machine, even though it's not the most impressive one now days, but never the less, it is still up there with the big boys.
The more torque you have on lower RPM scale, the faster your acceleration can be from any speed, it is your usable power, not the HP.

xeris 11-21-2017 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 404641)

Sorry but nothing short of JATO bottles are gonna make a Superhawk keep up with one of these...

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/mcy...328731740.html (If the ad gets pulled down it's a '17 RSV4 with 205rwhp)

Since this thread seems to be a dead end, I'm going to hijack it.
Sexy Italian supermodel, that Aprilia is. Makes me wonder is the ad is legit. Sure is a nice zip code.
The big question is, what is a "brake oil tank"?

VTR1000F 11-21-2017 07:59 AM

That's what scammers call a brake fluid reservoir.

kenmoore 11-21-2017 10:58 AM

When I first saw this thread I was curious about why someone would want/ need that kind of power on a VTR.

Now I understand,

The thing about the VTR is accessible power and torque. I have had plenty of experience with big rear wheel number bikes and came to the conclusion that I couldn't use all of that power comfortably and as such I was being slowed down.

I live on a great mountain road and rode my VTR and 2012 Aprillia RSV4r Tuono back to back over the exact same road many times only to be quicker on the VTR . The Aprillia is no more.

The thing about the VTR is that the power is more accessible under real world conditions and that allows more time to concentrate on the road, on the other hand the Ape had so much power that it was a handful and was harder to control and took a lot more concentration to stay on line .

To that end I have a mate who has a 2012 ZX10 and is 10 years younger than me and can ride.

We we recently rode the same mountain road together and I was on the VTR. He didn't see which way I went and was amazed that the old girl VTR had smoked his much more powerful bike and passed a comment that his back tyre was worn out and that is why I was able to get away from him.

We both know the answer as to why I beat him.

Real world accessible power,

It's not about outright power but how it is put to the ground and how you use it.

My VTR is far from standard with a list of mods as long as your arm so it can't be compared to a standard one, I remember when I first got it, it was an asthmatic scary handling bike but it had soul and I knew that I could make something of it, and that I have done.

If you are after more "Urge " from your engine at a realistic price I offer the following suggestions.

1- Lightened flywheel- This allows the engine to spin up quicker and access the power and torque quicker.

2- Quick action 1/4'turn throttle- Less twist of the wrist and makes the bike feel like it has more power.

there are lots of other things that you can do such as , HC Pistons , velocity stacks , cams ( I don't have them yet ) coil on plug ignition, various exhausts ( I am up to set number 4) electric water pump,
dialled cams, removal of anti rattle gears and water pump gears and chain, setting up the carbs and adjustment of the TPS, removal of PAIR system, reworked Ignition timing, clean up the cylinder head,( Oversize valves are on the list ) and massive weight reductions are just some of the things that will improve performance.

Be warned that these mods will highlight deficiencies in other areas of your bike and could leed to a bad case of OCMD like I have.

I have had my VTR for nearly 6 years and I am still chasing perfection !

Some other folks on here have been playing with VTRs since their inception and continue to do so.

I guess my point is that the VTR has more than enough power to scare almost everyone in standard form let alone when modded and fettled !

By the way,

It would appear that VTR crankshafts don't like numbers of 150 H.P and have been known to break at these sorts of figures.

A billet crank would probably solve that problem. You don't know where I can get one do you ?

See what I mean about OCMD !

Good luck with your bike, ride and enjoy and develope and grow with it as you go.

captainchaos 11-21-2017 04:18 PM

Pretty much everything Kenmoore said. The Superhawk does exactly what it was originally built to do. Most people (as hard as it may be for their egos to handle) can't access what most modern sportbikes (or sportscars for that matter) are actually capable of. I'm an "average" rider and I used to smoke my friends in the turns and they were on newer, faster, more capable R1's and Gixxers. At an 8 or 9/10's pace the Superhawk is much easier to ride fast. I had a GSXR600 (former supersport racebike I make street legal again) and it was just always more bike than I was rider. It wasn't nearly as accessible on the street. Always nervous and wanting more than I could give it. The Superhawk in contrast always felt super stable, like it had a mile long wheelbase and just always was so confidence inspiring. Made me feel like a hero. That's why Cycle World literally called the bike "magical" when it came out.

If you want something that'll peel your face back doing roll ons on the highway you're on the wrong bike... And unless you have very deep pockets and also know the right people I wouldn't waste my time trying to turn it into one.

Wolverine 11-21-2017 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 404662)
Pretty much everything Kenmoore said. The Superhawk does exactly what it was originally built to do. Most people (as hard as it may be for their egos to handle) can't access what most modern sportbikes (or sportscars for that matter) are actually capable of. I'm an "average" rider and I used to smoke my friends in the turns and they were on newer, faster, more capable R1's and Gixxers.

Wait, there's turns in Fla?

captainchaos 11-21-2017 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 404664)
Wait, there's turns in Fla?

HAHAHAHAHA not many, not many. You need to search them out. Back in the day when I was young and dumb (now I'm just dumb) it was a weekly thing to "roadrace" what was known as "nine-turns" down in Ft. Lauderdale. Basically a group of on and off ramps you could repeat over and over. Two guys, who both also roadraced (one on a Superhawk and one on a TL1000S) always kicked everyone else's asses. But unfortunately you got a lot of squids and several people got mangled and killed as well... Also running from the cops (many of whom were pretty crazy themselves and also took things pretty personally) got old fast. Otherwise there are a few here and there but for the most part Florida was much better suited to my ZX12 and my Hayabusa.

Wolverine 11-21-2017 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 404666)
my ZX12 and my Hayabusa.

Extended swingers and german style helmets? :nana:

captainchaos 11-22-2017 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 404667)
Extended swingers and german style helmets? :nana:

Oh Christ no not mine. But yes that'd fit right in with the "bike clubs" and the "culture" in Miami...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/NCT22zqho2A/maxresdefault.jpg