SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Help! Missing part for handlebar end caps? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/help-missing-part-handlebar-end-caps-33832/)

Coolman10113 03-21-2016 07:10 AM

Help! Missing part for handlebar end caps?

2 Attachment(s)
I am having trouble installing new handlebar end caps that I purchased after losing the throttle side one on the ride home from the dealership last fall. The left side end cap threads in correctly, but my throttle side one does not. The threads are too small only on the throttle side. Did a part fall off when I lost the other end cap?

Fastguy59 03-21-2016 08:15 AM

Looks like they aren't "too small" i.e. smaller diameter, but they may be shallower in depth. Most aftermarket bar end weights come with an expanding rubber tube meant to grab the inside of a totally hollow race style clip-ons. OEM clip-ons have a steel weight glued inside the tube that is threaded internally and also keyed to prevent rotation. So if your new ends came with the rubber tubes you need shorter allen capscrews... Yes? Cool?

Coolman10113 03-21-2016 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Fastguy59 (Post 394429)
Looks like they aren't "too small" i.e. smaller diameter, but they may be shallower in depth.

Thanks for the quick reply Fastguy. Sorry for the confusion but the first picture is to demonstrate the bolt on the left side of the handlebar (clutch side) is the correct diameter and just not screwed in all the way. The second picture is of the right side of the handlebar (throttle side) where the bolt is actually smaller in diameter than the threads inside the bar. Which is why it leads me to believe I must be missing something that threads into the bar as well so it is the smaller diameter like the left side of the handlebar.

Fastguy59 03-21-2016 11:39 AM

What year is your bike?

Fastguy59 03-21-2016 12:06 PM

SH handlebar fiche

1 Attachment(s)
As you can see in the fiche (1999 SH) both bar ends weights, screws, rubber expanders, and rings are of the same diameter... so I'm thinking that maybe the one that looks smaller is because the ring and rubber maintained a compressed profile therefore the hole in the middle looks smaller

Coolman10113 03-21-2016 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fastguy59 (Post 394434)
What year is your bike?

I have a 2003.

Originally Posted by Fastguy59 (Post 394435)
As you can see in the fiche (1999 SH) both bar ends weights, screws, rubber expanders, and rings are of the same diameter... so I'm thinking that maybe the one that looks smaller is because the ring and rubber maintained a compressed profile therefore the hole in the middle looks smaller

The only issue is that the hole is larger than the bolt that came with the bar end cap, by like an entire size up. I will take some more photos of the handlebar ends tonight so you can really see the issue.

Coolman10113 03-21-2016 06:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
First picture is the left side handlebar (which works fine) and the second picture is the right side handlebar (which the hole is larger in diameter than the bolt that came with the end caps)

VTR1000F 03-21-2016 07:05 PM

The one on the right bar doesn't look stock to me.

Coolman10113 03-21-2016 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 394450)
The one on the right bar doesn't look stock to me.

I am unsure if it is or not. So the handlebar is supposed to look like how my left side does? Is there any way I can make the right side handlebar work without having to buy a new handlebar for that side?

VTR1000F 03-21-2016 08:45 PM

The stock parts in the clip on are the same on both sides as Fast guy points out, so I suspect you have aftermarket guts on the right. It seems you could just get a proper sized bolt for the right and carry on. Beyond that, you'd probably have to get the guts out of the right side to see what you're working with in order to determine if you want to replace any missing stock parts (if available) or what.

Coolman10113 03-25-2016 04:04 PM

Really appreciate the help so far. I cannot simply use a larger bolt that will work with the threads on the right side. The larger bolt will not fit through the hole in the bar end cap that I purchased. Very confusing that there would be a smaller threaded hole on one side versus the other.

Coolman10113 03-25-2016 04:06 PM

FYI, I also tried to get the guts out of the left side bar as I think there is a weight that is threaded into that side with the smaller internal threads. Problem is I could not get the guts to come out.

Cadbury64 03-26-2016 12:13 AM

I think I would use the diameter bolt that fits the right bar, and just drill out the end weight to suit.

Meier Link 03-26-2016 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Coolman10113 (Post 394518)
FYI, I also tried to get the guts out of the left side bar as I think there is a weight that is threaded into that side with the smaller internal threads. Problem is I could not get the guts to come out.

Thread a long bolt into it. Then clamp vice grips behind the head of the bolt. While sitting on the bike (to balance it and keep it from tipping) gentally tap on the vice grips with a hammer. A few good taps should pull it out.

But if it is seated that well in there the better option would be to use a keen insert into the bar end that matches what's in the slip on. You will probably have to drill and tap the bar end to accept the keen insert but the problem will be resolved.