SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Hawk that has been down, possible damage (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/hawk-has-been-down-possible-damage-33329/)

Hangfly 07-02-2015 03:54 PM

Hawk that has been down, possible damage

I'm looking at another '99 SuperHawk.
This one has only about 4k miles since new.
The seller disclosed damage sustained 6 years ago when the rider dismounted (at hiway speed) somehow with the bike continuing down the road for some time in a straight line. Finally the bike lost energy and tipped on its right side. The right cover and fairing were replaced as well as a peg and lever.
I have a friend who says he will not buy a ride that has seen this type of accident since the engine may have been starved for oil or received some other damage that may show up later.
I am not sure how many miles have been put on since the incident, but again, it was 6 years ago.
I started the engine myself after it had been sitting for 6 weeks. after running for about 15 seconds it sounded ok with no funny noises. But upon first starting, the first couple of twists of the throttle caused some kind of vibration. Something felt rough. It seemed to shake a little. Not loud or anything. And it smoothed out after 10 seconds or less.
Anyway, the bike is really spotless now and a sweet example. But I am now wondering if I have to worry about starvation or other damage the dropping may have caused. Do these have a kill switch? Any ideas or things to suggest I might look for? I plan to have the cash by Monday and test ride/make a deal.

Wicky 07-02-2015 04:33 PM

Check for bent brackets, subframes (front & rear), straightened / cracked peg hangers, symmetry of exhaust and back of bike looking from rear. That mounting points for the exhausts are all true.

Was the clutch cover holed through and is so did any debris get an opportunity to enter the engine?

Bid low :-)

Also has it had MCCTs fitted and an upgraded R/R - if not knock some more off....

scottiemann 07-02-2015 06:09 PM

dismounted at highway speeds clean enough to allow the bike to continue upright????

was this a stunt bike?

Hangfly 07-02-2015 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by scottiemann (Post 388080)
dismounted at highway speeds clean enough to allow the bike to continue upright????

was this a stunt bike?

The older owner is experienced, but apparently mis-managed an accidental wheelie on 2-3 shift, panicked and fell off the bike.
I will ask if the cover was worn enough to to allow debris into engine. As far as I can see, the chassis , heck everything, is undamaged and beautiful .

scottiemann 07-02-2015 07:52 PM

:rotf:lolololol, oh man... how?.... why?... i dont get it :rotf:

CruxGNZ 07-02-2015 08:56 PM

Just watch some youtube videos. There are LOTS of them with squids that think they can be a "numba one stunna", then get thier friends to videotape it all. It's fantastic to watch.

scottiemann 07-02-2015 09:00 PM

lol, i cant handle this shit right now... but hes an experienced rider...

scottiemann 07-02-2015 09:07 PM

I mean congrats to him for getting it up 2nd-3rd

Hangfly 07-02-2015 09:55 PM

"Bid low :-)"

I will try. But I'm getting sucked in by the low miles, shiny everything and .. Beautiful Staintunes ! May have to pay his asking price. :shock:

Meier Link 07-03-2015 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Hangfly (Post 388095)
"Bid low :-)"

I will try. But I'm getting sucked in by the low miles, shiny everything and .. Beautiful Staintunes ! May have to pay his asking price. :shock:

Always bid low. What's the worst thing he can do? Say no. Then bump your price up a bit. Still no? A little more up? Still no? It's easier then hagaling with a used car dealer.

8541Hawk 07-03-2015 08:04 AM

There is some funny stuff on here......

Personally I wouldn't worry to much about engine damage.

While there is no "kill" switch when they go on their side, they tend to shut themselves off pretty quickly.

On a personal note. my bike has been tossed down the road 3 times in the last 17 1\2 years.

No issues with engine damage on any of them.

As for the rest of the bike, that is for you to decide if it is worth it to you but since the engine runs fine ( the rough running at first is common if they have sat for a while) I would put that worry out of your mind. ;)

Hangfly 07-03-2015 10:48 AM

M,
Yes , accidents can happen to all of us.
Thank you for addressing my concern and the input regarding the engine is likely ok.
With some luck, I will be posting some photos next week . I know my way around the VTR a little better now so this one should be quicker to sort out.
Dan

Hangfly 07-14-2015 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 21957

Finally borrowed a buddy's trailer and picked up the yellow '99. So far I am very happy with it and will be posting the red one on CL. I know, yellow is... yellow. But it's growing on me.

thedeatons 07-14-2015 03:50 PM

So are you keeping the yellow one simply because it has less mileage than your red one?

Do you plan to swap out all the good parts to the one you're keeping (maybe even swap the carbs straight over?), then selling off a basically stock Superhawk?

Have you considered swapping over your red parts too? :)

James

Hangfly 07-15-2015 07:08 AM

J,

Ha! Yes I considered swapping the red parts. Is the yellow that undesirable? :o It's a very clean bike with some of its own extras as well.
Well a CL buyer totally flaked on me last night (imagine that) so they may both just stay in the garage for a while.

VTR1000F 07-15-2015 08:26 AM

Undesirable? Certainly to some. I don't like the SH in red. Mine is yellow. I love this bike in yellow. Keep what you like, not what others like.

And then, of course, the yellow's faster. So there's that.

smokinjoe73 07-15-2015 12:30 PM

I think red is faster on the street but yellow is faster on the track.

Good on you becoming a dual hawk owner. Now you just gotta do the front end and swingarm on the the non ridden one.

Hangfly 07-15-2015 01:30 PM

"I love this bike in yellow...."

I'm starting to agree.

"Now you just gotta do the front end and swingarm on the the non ridden one."

Yes!

thedeatons 07-15-2015 04:32 PM

So you're not keeping the carb setup, stick coils, etc?

James

Hangfly 07-16-2015 07:18 AM

I'm letting all the stuff go with the red one. Going to miss the saddle damn it. Have new stick coils, RR, and carb parts on the way for when I tear into the yellow one. This one (yellow) is suffering from flatulence.
I will post some photos for you guys soon since I need some feedback on a couple things.