SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Having an Issue with the hawk (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/having-issue-hawk-17440/)

skoshere 02-05-2009 06:17 PM

Having an Issue with the hawk

So long story short...

I installed a WileyCo exhaust, no jetting... bike ran great and strong on idle in the garage.

Drove it for the first time on Saturday and put about a gallon of premium shell gas in (reformulated gas). Previously the gas in the bike was a higher octane than what I can get in the Milwaukee area.

Now when I started it tonight, it barely ran. it was sputting and was back firing like no ones business.

I figure either i have moisture in the tank or it needs to be jetted.

Let me know what you think

Little_Horse 02-05-2009 06:28 PM

my vote is bad gas :evillaugh:

FL02SupaHawk996 02-05-2009 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by skoshere (Post 199043)
So long story short...

I installed a WileyCo exhaust, no jetting... bike ran great and strong on idle in the garage.

Drove it for the first time on Saturday and put about a gallon of premium shell gas in (reformulated gas). Previously the gas in the bike was a higher octane than what I can get in the Milwaukee area.

Now when I started it tonight, it barely ran. it was sputting and was back firing like no ones business.

I figure either i have moisture in the tank or it needs to be jetted.

Let me know what you think

Man that's not much to go on, but I'd say pull the plugs clean them reinstall them and see what it does...sounds like you may have fowled them...RC

skoshere 02-05-2009 06:36 PM

so in a nut shell on Saturday it was running great. Put 1 gallon of gas in.... Bike sat for 4-5 days.

Now it is sputtering and back firing, Not sure what more detail to add?

FL02SupaHawk996 02-05-2009 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by skoshere (Post 199049)
so in a nut shell on Saturday it was running great. Put 1 gallon of gas in.... Bike sat for 4-5 days.

Now it is sputtering and back firing, Not sure what more detail to add?

It could be anything, so you gotta start eliminating the things you can...

No issues riding Sat after installing the slip ons?

skoshere 02-05-2009 06:44 PM

none, had the slipons on for about 3 weeks now... started the bike about once a week... ( roughly 15-20 degrees outside). Bike ran great, drove great.

Only change since Saturday has been the gas addition. I think I will pull the plugs on saturday and see what they look like

skoshere 02-05-2009 07:32 PM

UPdate -

So I tried to restart it... Bike has been on the side stand. I tilted the bike up right and sloshed the gas around...

Bike fired right up and ran great.!!!!

I am thinking the shit gas we had here was already starting to gum up in the carb.

FL02SupaHawk996 02-06-2009 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by skoshere (Post 199066)
UPdate -

So I tried to restart it... Bike has been on the side stand. I tilted the bike up right and sloshed the gas around...

Bike fired right up and ran great.!!!!

I am thinking the shit gas we had here was already starting to gum up in the carb.

Good to hear! It's probably a combination of moisture & crap in the carbs...you may want to grab a manual and pull your float bowls and clean everything real good...RC

skoshere 02-06-2009 03:59 PM

another issue

So I took the bike out for a ride today as it was marginally warm... it was slightly backfiring and gurgling today, but nothing like yesterday...

So i rode a bit and it sounded like a loud pop in the motor area... there were several of these before it stopped...It almost sounded like fuel combusting in the carb if that would be possible ( just to describe the noise)

not really sure... what is going on, could moisture in the tank cause this? Bad gas cause this as it is new gas?

FL02SupaHawk996 02-06-2009 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by skoshere (Post 199234)
So I took the bike out for a ride today as it was marginally warm... it was slightly backfiring and gurgling today, but nothing like yesterday...

So i rode a bit and it sounded like a loud pop in the motor area... there were several of these before it stopped...It almost sounded like fuel combusting in the carb if that would be possible ( just to describe the noise)

not really sure... what is going on, could moisture in the tank cause this? Bad gas cause this as it is new gas?

In a word, yes...clean those carbs bro...