SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   The hated Dunstall VTR--done (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/hated-dunstall-vtr-done-24730/)

t99ford 02-13-2011 02:31 PM

The hated Dunstall VTR--done

6 Attachment(s)
I am pretty much done visually with the project, at least for now. I am going to make an alloy tank for it this fall, but the painted stocker will suffice. I have a few more weight items to replace and it will be ready to ride. I wheeled it through the ice and snow to get it off site for some better pics than my previous ones. This end result has fulfilled most o the vision in my head; namely to remove the obese rear tail section of the stock bike, and create something of a "throwback" to the cafe racer movement. This entailed greatly reducing the amount of plastic and "transformer" components of the bike, and simplify it a great deal. The added advantage is weight savings. I will keep this posted to that end. Not a favorite of all, to be sure, but an end product that is more unique than the VTR already is!

Attachment 26457

Attachment 26458

Attachment 26459

Attachment 26460

Attachment 26461

Attachment 26462

E.Marquez 02-13-2011 02:55 PM

If your happy with it, thats all that matters :congrats:

RWhisen 02-13-2011 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 293204)
If your happy with it, thats all that matters :congrats:

+1
How does it run with the two into one exhaust?

mboe794 02-13-2011 03:43 PM

Is it just me, or is that chain way tight?

offroad_rider2008 02-13-2011 03:43 PM

I like the brake light

8541Hawk 02-13-2011 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by mboe794 (Post 293216)
Is it just me, or is that chain way tight?

It's not straight either if you look at the pic of the back of the bike.

It does look kinda cool but my ass hurts just looking at that seat.... ;)

t99ford 02-13-2011 04:59 PM

I am pretty happy with it as it sits. Not a real radical change over stock, but I suspect it is a fair bit lighter.

I have not been able to get it to the dyno yet for the 2-1 run/ tuning. It is running lean at this point, so I suspect that there is some more power to be had with proper jetting. The dyno sheets (previous owner) from the original 2-1 that had a massive stock can put it at 102 hp. 61 ft/lbs torque. That was running at a rich A/f of close to 10:1, too! This now is an entirely different setup as that was a custom bodge job. As soon as the roads dry out, I will be taking it in for a run to see where it really is, and tune it up. I am hoping for the best!

The chain is wayyy too tight. It is a brand new one, and I have not finished the adjustments on it. I took the old one off, and put the new one on, and have not finished the adjustment yet. Good eye!

RWhisen 02-13-2011 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by t99ford (Post 293228)
The chain is wayyy too tight. It is a brand new one, and I have not finished the adjustments on it. I took the old one off, and put the new one on, and have not finished the adjustment yet. Good eye!

Looks like your right adjuster is in further than the left creating the bend in your chain.

Meierznutz 02-13-2011 05:31 PM

That's nice. I like the dual headlights and the craftsmanship on the tail is very nice. Someday when I get good with an English wheel I will do something like this.
Question, will the lack of body work affect the cooling through the rads? I was looking at mine and there is a lot of plastic directing air under there.

Crashrat 02-13-2011 06:25 PM

I like it. I’m not a huge fan of the dual headlights on a café racer, but it all shows a night lvl of craftsmanship. I have an RC51 subframe that will fit on the SH – w/ CF brackets – and a rad to go under the seat, but I haven’t done squat on the bike since the fall. Projects like this are good inspiration for the rest of us – well, for me anyhow – so thanks!

autoteach 02-13-2011 07:17 PM

speaking of Paul Dunstall, we have this kit sitting at the shop waiting for a rat race bike restore of a norton commando ss.
http://www.dunstall.com/yellow%20dunstall.JPG

t99ford 02-13-2011 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 293227)
It's not straight either if you look at the pic of the back of the bike.

It does look kinda cool but my ass hurts just looking at that seat.... ;)

Like I said, this is how the p/o had the old chain. I don't even have the bike licenced yet (that plate is his, too). I gotta finish up a few odds and ends, but this was the first day I could even get it out of the driveway for the snow. I didn't even ride it, just pushed it about a block to keep from splattering snowmelt all over the polished alum. It will be right before it rolls, but those kind of minor details get done in 10 minute time bites in the evening. Then I can save my larger sections of time for the more significant parts of the project.

But, at least I know you all are looking!:D Thanks for all the props and critiques, too!

The seat obviously negates any distance touring...

VTRsurfer 02-13-2011 10:19 PM

Not my style, but I admire hard work...Well done!:thumbsup:

spladle160 02-15-2011 06:57 PM

Definitely individual and custom which is more than can be said for most "customs" any chance you can tuck that exhaust in/up? it bothers me hanging out like that. The brake light set up is way cool.

smokinjoe73 02-15-2011 10:46 PM

short circuit replica

2 Attachment(s)
Did you just finish watching this movie or maybe love it as a kid?

t99ford 02-21-2011 09:06 PM

Ha Ha! I never connected that movie and the bike, but the parallels are obvious!:D

I should (hopefully) have a new Shorai battery here tomorrow to further lighten things. Should be pretty cool.

The exhaust is in stock position now, but it is not a bad idea to move it. I might look into that. Oh, the rear LED setup is actually fully integrated: top 5 are brake, bottom center 3 are marker, and outside two on each side on the bottom are amber turn. The license light is LED as well, as I am kind of a sucker for that look. It is all really bright, and looks even better when not in use, as everything goes colorless. I ended up having to custom make all the LEDs, as I couldn't find any prewired that could withstand the vibration due to short/ improper soldering. But I got it sorted now!

Thanks for the kind words!

t99ford 02-23-2011 08:30 PM

Got the new Shorai today. It is truly the weight they claim, and seems to turn the engine over well enough. It was 25 degrees in the garage, and it lit off right away. Plus, I got the small case size, so now the battery compartment is visually much more open, helping to further clean up the look of the bike! So far +1 for this battery!

7moore7 02-23-2011 08:44 PM

Any plans to make a tank that matches the tail? Big undertaking, but it would certainly seem to be the next step...