SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Has anybody ridden a TL1000R (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/has-anybody-ridden-tl1000r-17314/)

wasmeneh 01-23-2009 11:18 AM

Has anybody ridden a TL1000R

Has anybody ridden a TL1000R and if so how does it compare to the Hawk?

Says 50 mpg and I kinda like the idea of the FI.

Mike

mikstr 01-23-2009 11:35 AM

Never tried one but the TLs (both S and R) had a reputation for having quirly FI systems (hard to beat a well set-up carb to be honest). IMHO, the S was a very nice looking bike but the R stands as one of the ugliest sportbikes ever built

Tweety 01-23-2009 11:43 AM

It's big, it's ugly and it has the handling characteristics of a truck... It goes like crasy in a straight line, and at every corner you have to wrestle it down into the corner...

Not fun...:( But that's just my take...

divingindaytona 01-23-2009 12:10 PM

I know that they have fueling issues. Once I had a guy on his TLS in front of me at the light. For no reason at all his bike just up and died. He had to push it over to the side of the road, while he figured out what was up with it.

Meanwhile the carb'ed superhawk sitting in back of him was still running.

Little_Horse 01-23-2009 12:13 PM

I briefly rode one before I owned the hawk, it is a very big feeling bike, much like a busa in size. But like all sport twins nice sound and low end grunt. I wouldn't swap it for my hawk. Also I don't see very many of them so finding parts might be an issue.

lazn 01-23-2009 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 197165)
IMHO, the S was a very nice looking bike but the R stands as one of the ugliest sportbikes ever built

I disagree the S is one of the ugliest human creations ever. It looks like a superhawk that spent a few hours in a oven and started to melt.

budman 01-23-2009 12:32 PM

I have a 97S and it will outrun the hawk in the straits, its scary fast. It is heavy though and the suspension is hard to dial in. Im in the process of converting mine to a streetfighter

BlackHawk996 01-23-2009 01:35 PM

^^ if i were to get a tlr it would become a streetfighter just because the fairings are so bulky... and they look sick naked.

altosuperhawk 01-23-2009 02:00 PM

Owned a 2001 for a short time- bought it from a young lady who didn't know what to do with it after breaking up with the TL's owner- she got stuck with the note and didn't ride. Fitted an Ohlins conversion in place of the rotary damper, installed a full Yosh 2 into 2 system, and synched the TB's- and it was good to go. Engine would crush my Superhawk in any contest of speed. Sold it to my buddy who still owns it- it was way too 'wristy' for my liking.

inderocker 01-23-2009 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just sold my 2001 TL1000R.

It's seriously felt heavy, even in motion. It's very fast in a straight line... and fast through the twisties as well... but you've got to man handle the s.o.b.! The worst part about it was working on it. There is waay too much going on under the air box. Plus, their gear/chain driven cam setup up and rear shock setup are retarded! Choose one, Suzuki... gear driven or chain driven... not both! They are evidently notorious for blowing cranks too. It's still a great bike, but a RC51 will blow the fairings off it any day of the week.

finepooch 01-23-2009 04:57 PM

i'm a suzuki fan. almost bought a tl1000r when it first came out, bought a gixxer750 instead. always have wondered if i should have tried the tlr.

i think the tlr looks great!

i thought the widow maker was the tls because it got speed wobbles due to crazy geometry and no damper? didn't the tlr have a damper?

wasmeneh 01-23-2009 06:55 PM

That's the info I was looking for, I thought that they looked bulkier.

Mike

superhawk22 01-23-2009 07:19 PM

My brother owns one and with the right tires it seems to handle just sa well as the hawk IMO. It doesn't have the lower end grunt but that's from a timing retard in the first four gears and has a ton more top end.

5tu 02-02-2009 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by finepooch (Post 197208)

i thought the widow maker was the tls because it got speed wobbles due to crazy geometry and no damper? didn't the tlr have a damper?

Your right the TLS was the widow maker - they factory recalled them to add a damper as a few can't handle a twitch

I have/ had both I love them - need to sort the rear shock (Maxton) - eliminate restrictor 1st 4 gears and you have one nice sorted bike

I much prefer the sound of my TLs over the VTR, and the vtr isn't a patch on it performace side - saying that though it's currently off the road with a dead gearbox and workng my way through to see what else was screwed at the time.

Get a test ride on 1 and see what you think thats the best way as we all have different

Barch 02-03-2009 05:27 PM

I read that a European journalist was killed on one during a test ride. I've never heard anything positive about the bike as a whole.

RoofCleanPhenom 02-03-2009 06:42 PM

Tiller's (TLR's) are known to have mild to severe electrical problems for some reason. I knew a guy here in Daytona about 3 years ago who had a black TL1000S and the Suzuki GSX-R look-a-like TL1000R. Before he moved to Texas he sold them both due to the electfical malfunctions. His mechanic told him those types of problems are common on the TL & TLR. Since then, I've asked around since I like V-twins and would always consider buying another, along with my Hawk.
My mechanic told me the guy I know ended up buying a VTR1000 sp1 and a GSX-R 1000 to replace the v-twin suzukis.

As far as the ride, I noticed the TL1000S handles a little "bulky" in the corners. Without a doubt more difficult to manuever while turning (could be 'cause I'm used to my VTR) than my Hawk. Just like the 996 Honda, the TL can wick up the front tire with just a feather of the clutch. Again, I'm a v-twin crotch rocket fan, so I enjoyed the hell outta the TL.
The TLR was a much more race-friendly ride. The suspension and handling were better, the mid-range horsepower felt much more potent. Still heavy, but easier to handle the weight.
In my humblest of opinions, the SuperHawk outrides the TL1000S by far. It's easier to ride & it's just sportier. The stock Hawk looks more race-ready than the stock TLS. I still have yet to ride an RC-51 (I'll be sure to carry two sets of underwear, just in case I cream while riding an SP-1 or -2) so I can't compare...
But my Hawk could keep up with the TLR very easily. Even if I couldn't have beat it, it sure as hell wouldn't have been able to pull away from me either.

5tu 02-04-2009 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Barch (Post 198580)
I've never heard anything positive about the bike as a whole.

Lets put it this way - if someone wanted to swap my vtr for a similar spec TLs or R - I'd go for it!

But saying that if it was next to my old SP1 I'd stick with the Honda

divingindaytona 02-04-2009 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by 5tu (Post 198745)
Lets put it this way - if someone wanted to swap my vtr for a similar spec TLs or R - I'd go for it!

The TL's had 130 horse stock. Our superhawks have only 100 horse!

Not to mention the TL's had the most advanced suspension of the day, shich no one could figure out.

When I was looking it was the TL-S or the superhawk. In 2003 the TL's ran approx. a grad more than the superhawk. FI and 30 more HP worth 1K, I thought it was not worth it at the time...

superhawk22 02-04-2009 12:46 PM

I raced my buddy on the 1/4 mile a bunch of times againts his tls and we are about the same caliber rider with a slight edge to myself as even he would admit. I would get him in the first 80 or so and then he would just walk away every time without fail. :( That being said he refuses to bring it to the road course againts me, he just says I can't beat you on the 06 gsxr so why would I try on the tl? :lol:

HisHawkiness 02-04-2009 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by wasmeneh (Post 197163)
Says 50 mpg and I kinda like the idea of the FI.

Anyone else think that sounds a little more than generous on the fuel efficency of a TLR.....i mean...seriously, my freind's F4I has the best MPG out of all the bikes in the group i ride with and it still only gets 46mpg, 50mpg on a 1000cc V twin supersport sounds unrealistic....but i shall research

EDIT: google says 30-35mpg....no better than the hawk =-[