SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Good Cops - Bad Cops (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/good-cops-bad-cops-35310/)

Butts 03-27-2019 06:53 PM

Good Cops - Bad Cops

So last night I'm heading home from work around midnight, long hard day as I'd started at 8am that morning. Riding along the main road, I go past the Kebab shop (where ALL the drunks are grabbing a feed!) and I spy my mate James demolishing one.
I move over to the kerb side lane, and promptly shout out to him. It is only then I realise its his twin brother Duncan, so wave and blip the throttle to get back into the middle lane.
About 400 metres up the road I make my usual left hand turn, 90 degree sweep, and head down to the traffic lights to turn right. As I make the 90 degree turn, I notice a car come around the corner a little quicker
than they normally do, so kept my eye on it as I approached the traffic lights. Whilst stopped at the traffic lights I noticed it was a marked police car, no biggy as in my mind I hadn't done anything.
He hadn't put on his lights, so just assumed he was heading my way. Anyway lights go green, make my turn right and proceed to head down the hill heading towards my place (about 5 km up the road).
It wasn't till about 1 km after the traffic lights, the police car is still right behind me, he puts his lights on. I immediately indicate to pull over, but as it is single lane and the verge has no safe place for us to stop
I continue for about another 100m before pulling over and turning my bike off. I promptly hop off the bike and remove my helmet as the officer exits his vehicle.
Actually started with nice pleasantries being exchanged, "Evening Officer" "Gidday" etc. Then he asks if I have been drinking and could he see my licence.
SHIT, my heart sunk.... On tuesday night I had entertained 20 soccer mums and dads who had volunteered to Coach the Junior soccer teams at the local pub, and as I was running a bar tab, had placed my licence and credit card
behind the bar. At the end of the night, one of the Dads (very wealthy chap) offered to pick up the tab and wouldn't take NO for any answer. I inadvertently left my licence and credit card behind the bar!
I apologised to the Office and explained the situation about my licence, which he was okay with, he just wanted some sort of ID so he could check my licence via the Police system. I pulled out my old licence, expired one, and he took it back to the car with him.
After about 5 minutes, seemed like 50, he walks back to me standing near my bike. He explains WHY he pulled me over, for going a little too quick on the inside lane near the Kebab shop. I explained why I had accelerated, also the bit about mistaking Duncan for James and didn't realise I had gone that quick. He asks me to do a Random breath test, which of course I pass. Then out of the blue he says "Mate you got a pretty extensive record!". I responded by saying "Yes I have, I was a total arsehole when I was younger" and he laughs out loud.
Then he informs me he won't book me, but just to be a little more aware of my speed, he then promptly hopes in his car and drives off.
Good Cop, nice guy and just doing his job. One lucky rider.

Yes I bought a lotto ticket!!

mikstr 03-27-2019 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Butts (Post 409695)
So last night I'm heading home from work around midnight, long hard day as I'd started at 8am that morning. Riding along the main road, I go past the Kebab shop (where ALL the drunks are grabbing a feed!) and I spy my mate James demolishing one.
I move over to the kerb side lane, and promptly shout out to him. It is only then I realise its his twin brother Duncan, so wave and blip the throttle to get back into the middle lane.
About 400 metres up the road I make my usual left hand turn, 90 degree sweep, and head down to the traffic lights to turn right. As I make the 90 degree turn, I notice a car come around the corner a little quicker
than they normally do, so kept my eye on it as I approached the traffic lights. Whilst stopped at the traffic lights I noticed it was a marked police car, no biggy as in my mind I hadn't done anything.
He hadn't put on his lights, so just assumed he was heading my way. Anyway lights go green, make my turn right and proceed to head down the hill heading towards my place (about 5 km up the road).
It wasn't till about 1 km after the traffic lights, the police car is still right behind me, he puts his lights on. I immediately indicate to pull over, but as it is single lane and the verge has no safe place for us to stop
I continue for about another 100m before pulling over and turning my bike off. I promptly hop off the bike and remove my helmet as the officer exits his vehicle.
Actually started with nice pleasantries being exchanged, "Evening Officer" "Gidday" etc. Then he asks if I have been drinking and could he see my licence.
SHIT, my heart sunk.... On tuesday night I had entertained 20 soccer mums and dads who had volunteered to Coach the Junior soccer teams at the local pub, and as I was running a bar tab, had placed my licence and credit card
behind the bar. At the end of the night, one of the Dads (very wealthy chap) offered to pick up the tab and wouldn't take NO for any answer. I inadvertently left my licence and credit card behind the bar!
I apologised to the Office and explained the situation about my licence, which he was okay with, he just wanted some sort of ID so he could check my licence via the Police system. I pulled out my old licence, expired one, and he took it back to the car with him.
After about 5 minutes, seemed like 50, he walks back to me standing near my bike. He explains WHY he pulled me over, for going a little too quick on the inside lane near the Kebab shop. I explained why I had accelerated, also the bit about mistaking Duncan for James and didn't realise I had gone that quick. He asks me to do a Random breath test, which of course I pass. Then out of the blue he says "Mate you got a pretty extensive record!". I responded by saying "Yes I have, I was a total arsehole when I was younger" and he laughs out loud.
Then he informs me he won't book me, but just to be a little more aware of my speed, he then promptly hopes in his car and drives off.
Good Cop, nice guy and just doing his job. One lucky rider.

Yes I bought a lotto ticket!!

good for you. Yes, there are some good ones, but also a whole lot of power-tripping asshats... thankfully you got to deal with one with common sense

Bald Eagle 03-28-2019 05:57 AM

Well....I use to live in England....long time ago....But I can tell you this, if you get stopped in "England" you do not "Pass Go"....you do not get any breaks over there, no matter how cordial you are. No such thing as "Good Cop" ..."Bad Cop"...just....here is your ticket....and take it with a smile.
Now over here in the US of A....it is a "much more better deal". If you are respectful to the "Boys in Blue" and the State Troopers, you can do very well with avoiding a ticket...and I have got away with tickets that I should not have. I am not saying that I have not received a ticket, but you can go to your second line of defense and take it to court. I went through a State Trooper speed trap once, one guy had the Radar Gun...and the other was at the bottom of the hill...and "Bing Go" I am nailed. I apologized to the Trooper and he kept on insisting that I had the right to dispute the ticket in court.....OK...so I did. Because the Trooper did not show up at the Court hearing, it was thrown out...much to the "Pissed Off" Judge. He insisted that I was speeding... but he needed the Trooper to be there to verify this....and he did not show up. So....I love the system here over England. And I have more....but I do not want to bore you guys....Just a thing I had to through out there.

mcg 03-28-2019 08:42 AM

Good Cop

After passing a line of cars on a two lane highway, I crested a hill and meet a Provincial police cruiser traveling in the opposite direction. A few kilometres down the road he appeared in my rear view mirrors with lights flashing. As I secured my Firestorm on the gravel shoulder, he informed me he had got me for 40 over. I explained I had just passed a string of cars and that up until that day I had a perfect record. When I pulled off my full face helmet his attitude softened noticeably (might have been the white hair or lack of it) and he proclaimed “let’s see about keeping your perfect record”. I was very thankful when he let me off with a warning. Even though I love to haul open the throttle, I still have that perfect record (I am a 64 year old speed addict)
Be careful out there 😎

YMRacing 03-28-2019 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by mcg (Post 409698)
After passing a line of cars on a two lane highway, I crested a hill and meet a Provincial police cruiser traveling in the opposite direction. A few kilometres down the road he appeared in my rear view mirrors with lights flashing. As I secured my Firestorm on the gravel shoulder, he informed me he had got me for 40 over. I explained I had just passed a string of cars and that up until that day I had a perfect record. When I pulled off my full face helmet his attitude softened noticeably (might have been the white hair or lack of it) and he proclaimed “let’s see about keeping your perfect record”. I was very thankful when he let me off with a warning. Even though I love to haul open the throttle, I still have that perfect record (I am a 64 year old speed addict)
Be careful out there 😎

Reminds me of the time I was running over 100mph on my Ducati 851 in the Land Between the Lakes...Veterans Day. While I thought the speed limit there was at least 50mph there was no one in sight...Until...the National Park District officer spotted me from a side road....he had my DL in hand and asked me why I was running as fast as I was..clocked me at 77mph...in a 35mph zone. I replied, would you buy youthful exuberance from a veteran? He laughed and reduced my ticket so that I didn't have to go directly to jail. Still paid $150 speeding ticket..FWIW, I was 60 years old.

Wolverine 03-29-2019 04:06 AM

Why is it I never get the nice one? :x

Bald Eagle 03-29-2019 08:00 AM

You got to have wrinkles on your face......or no hair on your head......and if you do have hair, it must be grey and thinning....and lastly...the Officer giving you the ticket.....or not.....could be the age of your son.
And there you go....No ticket:D

Pidge 03-29-2019 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bald Eagle (Post 409702)
You got to have wrinkles on your face......or no hair on your head......and if you do have hair, it must be grey and thinning....and lastly...the Officer giving you the ticket.....or not.....could be the age of your son.
And there you go....No ticket:D

I've got all that going for me and it didn't help the last time I ran into a speed trap. several years ago 3 miles from home on the first ride of the year.

Bald Eagle 03-29-2019 08:35 AM

Ahhh.....you were missing something on your bike. On my luggage rack at the tail of the bike I have a Wheel Chair.

VTR1000F 03-29-2019 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 409700)
Why is it I never get the nice one? :x

From what I gather above, the perp's behavior seems to figure in to the equation. Asshole = ticket, not an asshole = (maybe) no ticket.

Just sayin'.

Pidge 03-30-2019 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 409706)
From what I gather above, the perp's behavior seems to figure in to the equation. Asshole = ticket, not an asshole = (maybe) no ticket.

Just sayin'.

Well I guess we can flip that statement around. There can be "Ring Muscles" on both sides of the equation.

xeris 03-30-2019 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 409706)

Just sayin'.

Yes.
It's all about risk management. Before, during and after an encounter with flashing lights, the choice of behavior and attitude is yours. Being pleasant always doesn't work in your favor, but favors your odds. There are many tutorials on the internet on how to improve your chances for a favorable encounter with flashing lights.

YMRacing 03-30-2019 03:13 PM

I refuse to cry...but...maybe...

mikstr 03-30-2019 05:31 PM

It wouldn't bother me nearly so much to get a ticket (though thankfully I haven`t had one in a long time) if I knew the person giving it lived by the rules. In my experience, cops are about the worst drivers on the road (speeding, tailgaiting, running lights, changing lanes without signaling...). It`s the self-righteous smugness and hypocrisy that really burns my a**....