SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Is this gas cap on right? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/gas-cap-right-33757/)

thedeatons 02-13-2016 08:14 PM

Is this gas cap on right?

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't take a picture of this when i disassembled it, and now when i try and close it the cap won't seat right... :(

James

Jack Flash 02-14-2016 08:28 AM

There's only one way to seat these in, you can't go wrong.
What do you mean by 'seat right', is it not sealing ? It fails to clip in place and reopens ?
If this is the case, have you done anything to the tank or cap itself (paint ?)

VTR1000F 02-14-2016 08:37 AM

James, did you tighten the bolts with the cap open or closed?

thedeatons 02-14-2016 09:02 AM

I can't get the cap to click into place. It gets to a certain place and then stops.

I took it apart for powdercoat, but only coated the outer ring and top cap.

I thought i put the mechanism back together right, with the 3 screws and that metal ring...

I tightened up the outer ring with the cap in the open (up) position.

James

VTR1000F 02-14-2016 09:36 AM

Try loosening the outer ring and see if it will click closed, then tighten outer ring?

VTR1000F 02-14-2016 09:38 AM

Try loosening the outer ring, see if the cap will click closed, then tighten outer ring?

VTR1000F 02-14-2016 09:40 AM

Oops. If that doesn't work, try one more time. Third time's a charm.

thetophatflash 02-14-2016 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 393532)
Try loosening the outer ring, see if the cap will click closed, then tighten outer ring?

++1

thedeatons 02-14-2016 01:38 PM

No dice... I'm wondering if the metal ring got tweaked too much during reinstall under the rubber boot?

I'll have to check that out :(

James

Jack Flash 02-15-2016 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by thedeatons (Post 393529)

I took it apart for powdercoat, but only coated the outer ring and top cap.

Was the top cap an all around inner/outer powder coat, or just the outer top part that you see when closed ?
If it's all around, inner/outer, their lies your issue. These are designed to be a snug fit with no room for error. If you add powder coat, you have changed the tolerance, and, you will need to address that. Either you sand it back down (not the best in my book) or remove powder coat (I recommend) and have the job done again.

Also, the outer ring includes the three legs where it screws to the tank. If there is powder coat at the base of the three legs where they sit on the tank, once again, you must remove the powder coat. The thickness of the powder coat rises the ring up just enough to prevent the cap from clipping into place.

thedeatons 02-15-2016 08:00 AM

Thank you!

A similar idea came to me in the middle of the night. I already have the cap loose, so i'll remove it today and use acetone to remove the powdercoat on the bottom of the three posts... I'll try that first and see if it fixes it :)

James

thedeatons 02-15-2016 01:29 PM

Praise JESUS! It's fixed! Torr it down and got lots of powdercoat off and also clean the threads out for those three screws.

Works perfectly now!

Thank you guys!!

James